Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and found some good info but I wanted to get your input with my specifics. I want a mil-dot or ballistic plex, an AO to focus down to at least 25 yards, 10 to 16 top power, target turrets would be nice but not a must, a scope that could handle a centerfire in the future, matte finish, preferably in a less than 50MM objective all in the low $300 or less range. Any thoughts? I have a list, but I want your opinions first.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
10X SS

A variable would be nice for a .22. But if you were gonna move it to a centerfire in the future, it's hard to beat. And with it's insane amount of elevation, you can push that little .22lr to it's limits.

dom

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
For most of my rimfire rifles I put a Nikon ProStaff 3-9 them. They have good clear glass and will take a beating. They work great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Mueller (http://www.muelleroptics.com/) on my 10/22 and love it. the APV 4.5–14×40 model seems to be one of the most popular scopes over at rimfirecentral.com. I haven't put one on a centerfire but others have reported them as holding up just fine under that kind of stress.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
encoreguy said:
an AO to focus down to at least 25 yards, 10 to 16 top power,
For 25-100 yard work you hardly even need an optic. The prefered power should be in the 2X-4X range. 10X and 16X are way way over over kill.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
MitchAlsup said:
encoreguy said:
an AO to focus down to at least 25 yards, 10 to 16 top power,
For 25-100 yard work you hardly even need an optic. The prefered power should be in the 2X-4X range. 10X and 16X are way way over over kill.
Some people like the extra magnification.....even if not really needed.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have just returned from shooting my 10/22 and CZ452 at 190 metres (207 yards) at pine cones and what's left of some bricks we snotted with our .308's a few weeks ago.

The 10/22 has a 3 to 9 x 40 Huntsman (el-cheapo scope about $150NZ or $75US) with mildot reticle and the CZ has a Falcon Menace 4 to 14 x 44 ffp metric scope.

I shot the 10/22 with it's scope on 9 power and the CZ's Falcon on 10 power.

I'm in the second half of my century and a bit of magnification is nice but as Mitch says, not necessary.

Now having said that, just before we were plinking pine cones with .22's, we were shooting a para FAL we built on an L1A1 reciever that has the original flip-up iron peep sights.
We set the sights at 400 (yards) and were shooting balloons at 400 metres with a touch of hold-over.

I hit my balloon on the fifth shot and could have repeated the shot having found the correct hold-over .... unfortunately, mine was the last balloon .... :(

The old saying is worth considering .... "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" ..... :wink:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you plan on getting a scope to use on a centerfire later on, you might as well get a variable with good glass. The magnification and better glass will come into play when you mount the scope on another rifle with a bigger caliber. Remember that you get what you pay for, so dont nickel and dime yourself. Any of the name brands that these guys will recommend to you will do the job. Heck, even a bushnell 3-9 3200 will work for the most part really well.

Personally, I have been using el cheapo's on my 10/22 rifles for over a decade now and one of them just recently broke. They dont require much and I am not anal on my plinkers. Now on bigger rifles, I like the fixed magnification (they can only drill it in your head so much before you start going with the program). :mrgreen:

Talk to Mel or Mac and they can get you a deal on optics.

-reg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My problem is do I go cheap and just plan on the scope for that gun only or spend more money and get a better scope that I can use on other guns down the road. I was thinking Bushnell 5-15 tactical with mil-dot, buckmaster 4.5 x 14 with mil-dot, burris fullfield II with ballestic plex or clearidge XP 4.5 X 14 with mildot. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I do not like swapping scopes out on my equipment. I would get a dedicated scope for the 10/22 that you can live with. Spend the big money on your tack driver. Just my $.02.

reg

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
In that price range your best bet for a variable will be a Bushnell Elite 3200 or the Mueller Tactical. Either will work well on a centerfire and they will certainly hold up to a rimfire.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I think a 3-9x or 2-7x is enough for a .22 unles your like me who lieks a little bit of extra magnification. My CZ wore a 2.5x20 and now has a 4x32 and will hopefully wear a 4x40 Nikon MountMaster that I bought second hand within the week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 3x9 el-cheapo on my 10/22 carbine.Tasco brand.Both are
around 30 yrs. old.OK,I know everybodys LOL.but I carried this rig coon hunting for 20+yrs.,3-5 nites/wk.,year round.It rode mostly on a 4
wheeler.Been wet,cold,muddy,knocked down,dropped,stepped on,lost,
found,used to beat coons off dogs(and visa-versa),part brush&briers ,
and about everything else you could think of.I can't imagine any gun
of any kind more reliable than a 10/22.The scope's not much but it still
works and its still on the gun.sentimental reasons,I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts