Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the 5.56 world.
The ammo i want to purchase in bulk of course.
At this volosity, dose jhp vs green tip fmj make a difference on
soft armored and non-soft armored personel???
Just a thought.
jh

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hello "slacker" and welcome to the Sniper Central Forums! Check out my web site for the answer to all your 5.56mm questions :) Every time there is a black line that goes across the middle of the page... that means there is a new question and answer. Once you get to the bottom of the first page... just click on the "Next Page of Info" button to go to the next page. http://www.geocities.com/expert_riflema ... vs223.html

The real ballistics stuff starts on page two... here is the link http://www.geocities.com/expert_riflema ... 23two.html

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey Slacker, cool to have ya here...hope you like SC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Hello "slacker" and welcome to the Sniper Central Forums! Check out my web site for the answer to all your 5.56mm questions :) Every time there is a black line that goes across the middle of the page... that means there is a new question and answer. Once you get to the bottom of the first page... just click on the "Next Page of Info" button to go to the next page. http://www.geocities.com/expert_riflema ... vs223.html

The real ballistics stuff starts on page two... here is the link http://www.geocities.com/expert_riflema ... 23two.html
Hey - very nice site... good info!

·
Registered
994 Posts
slacker said:
The ammo i want to purchase in bulk of course.
At this volosity, dose jhp vs green tip fmj make a difference on
soft armored and non-soft armored personel???
I want bulk ammunition, and I want to know how good it is at penetrating the armor uniformed police officers regularly wear...

Other people have gotten a lot more flack for much less suspicious questions on their first posts...

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Even if the guy is going to be shooting at some type of light kevlar... it wouldnt matter. A .223 will go through level 2 armor with wal-mart ammo.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It also drills IIIA, on cheap Winy ball. I know, we tried it at work, at ranges to about 50yds, it busted both panels several of the shots at closer range.

·
Registered
114 Posts
you sure know how to make people feel comfortable dont ya scatch. him for the post and me for reminding me that my level three body armor is just about only good to keep me warm in the winter. thanks man i wont be sleeping tonight now.

·
Registered
994 Posts
LONG TRA'NG said:
you sure know how to make people feel comfortable dont ya scatch. him for the post and me for reminding me that my level three body armor is just about only good to keep me warm in the winter. thanks man i wont be sleeping tonight now.
:lol:

I don't mean to make a poor greeting for this fine fellow, but I've observed a number of other people raise some big eye brows when they talk about silenced weapons and such...

Although I'm not adversed to anyone wanting a cartridge that can, I think it's an odd question to ask your frist time on a sniper forum.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think its just people trying to sound like their tactical when talking to us to try and "fit in". **** happens.

Welcome to the forum though....lol

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Its not Scatches fault. If no one asked that question then it wouldn't have been answered...I don't think there is a law against answering or asking it, but it is exactly because of everything you said, White Feather, that it shouldn't have been asked.

I wasn't going to answer him, but yeah, since others did...I think everyone here knows that any self respecting rifle round will penetrate a police officer's vest.

The upside is though, it torpedoes the arguement of certain kinds of rounds being "illegal" because they are "designed to kill cops"

Again, I didn't wanna say that, but its already been said anyway

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Well, if that dude had just said "I need to shoot some geese" and had not been so vague, he wouldn't have taken any flack.

But I agree, Cannon Fodder...its safer (if you have a reason, like Xover did) to just say why you want to do whatever it is. Like if Slacker had said "More and more home invaders wear body armor now" or "A situation like the LA bank robbery is scary" then I would understand more. Hypothetically it sounds better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
True enough, however in today’s political climate I believe that we all need to be careful in what information is given freely. The immense collective knowledge that is possessed on this board could be used in an inappropriate manner. Disastrous consequences would result from somebody bent on actions not so innocent as the acquisition of information.

I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

·
Registered
114 Posts
oh i agree with you all it is a strange question to ask for your first post on a Sniper Forum. especially since most people dont know about the true an noble profession of sniping and equate what they see on the news to be "Sniping".

I myself have learned to not trust everyone. i am the worst of both worlds. i am a military policeman. civilians hate me becasue i am military and military hates me because they think i am there to ruin their lives. i am surprised i havent fell flat on my face with how much i have to look behind me.

So when someone asks about things like armor piercing rounds as there first post then please by all means scare them away. and i cant think of two better people than spade and scatch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh yeah and Muzzle blast i do sincerely appreciate your non willingness to help questions like these. i know that you have all the info these Wanna be Snipers could want.

HMMMMMM is there a term for people like that. i mean wanna be snipers. people that think that buing a gun and shooting a target on a range at 200 yards with a new scope makes them think they are snipers?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Such sarcasm.

If you actually read what I said dude, it shows that what I talked about was common knowledge. Did anyone not know any rifle bullet can crack a vest? I doubt it. The difference is, when people ask iffy questions I keep my mouth shut. Could be your vest he wants to penetrate. So why not get the details out of him first? Really...its in bad form to ask those kinda questions so vaguely. Seems to me other people are thinking of guys like you too. Thats why they object. Seems you're the guy who doesn't object.

Scatch is going to be a cop. I don't think he wants people knowing what can penetrate his armour now. Maybe thats why he objects.

Further, I don't have any more knowledge than anyone else here. I just think about it before I tell people what they want to know. Someone wants to know how his bullet will do at 1000m, thats cool. Someone wants to build a home made silencer...thats not cool.

Heh. I got one for you guys.

I need to hit a target that only exposes itself briefly, and there is glass in the way of the shot. What would the best round be?

See? no one would answer that....

Not that anyone's question was that bad. But still...some things make me (and obviously others) uncomfortable. And since this is a forum, we're allowed to tell them we think they should take it elsewhere. Gotta love it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
One last thing. We all like guns and ammunition here. I would like to play with some AP rounds if I could, just to see what they can go through.

But why would I buy them in bulk, specifically because they can go through a bullet proof vest? Thats what I wanna hear Long Trang.

Personally I think you just don't like Scatch and Spade.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Personally I think you just don't like Scatch and Spade.
*Gasps*

Couldn't be!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
LMAO, thats a suprise, you mean there are people on this board who find me obnoxious?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There was a link to some geocities site here a few weeks back about tests done by FBI on AP capabilities of different rounds on Class III... can't recall the name of the site...

Also won't pretty much any round in .300WM or bigger go through a vest even with a plate?

Just my .02...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts