Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to long range shooting. Ive always been into pistols and ARs.
Last week I bought a brand new Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor.
I purchased a vortex viper PST-3156 ( Gen II 3-15x44 FFP) scope
Cabelas installed and "bore sighted" it as they said lol.

I took it to the Range and was hitting paper at 50 yards. maxed out all the way at the bottom it still seemed to shoot an inch or so high I would say.
at 200 yards I only had a steel plate so I was not able to see where exactly I was hitting, but every shot landed on the plate. Hoping to get paper out there tomorrow and see where I am hitting exactly at 200
The steel plate is a smaller one maybe 10 inches across

is that bad to be maxed out at 50 yards pretty close to zero just a tad high?

I have not much knowledge about scopes only red dots.
Is this a good scope also?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I don’t know how the zero stop works in that scope, but sounds like you are hitting the zero stop. You might research how to set the zero stop.

·
Registered
798 Posts
To set the zero stop in the gen 2 PST.
Turn turret down to zero stop, loosen all 3 screws that secure the turret and pulling straight up carefully remove it. Then loosen the 3 lock screws on the inner turret. Make your adjustments (you will NOT feel clicks when making adjustments) and then tighten (don't go full potato, snug is just fine) the 3 lock screws. Reinstall the outer turret and index the 0 mark and tighten the 3 screws. Done. I have 3 of these so this is my experience.

Typical zero distance for a centerfire is 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
To set the zero stop in the gen 2 PST.
Turn turret down to zero stop, loosen all 3 screws that secure the turret and pulling straight up carefully remove it. Then loosen the 3 lock screws on the inner turret. Make your adjustments (you will NOT feel clicks when making adjustments) and then tighten (don't go full potato, snug is just fine) the 3 lock screws. Reinstall the outer turret and index the 0 mark and tighten the 3 screws. Done.
This makes me thankful for scopes with simple zero stop. I am sure it works, but it is quite complicated.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
It's very easy to zero. Might not be as well known as the old turn and float dial scopes but it allows you to get a perfect zero as there are no clicks so not a little off or between clicks. Also if you like a few clicks below the zero as I do you just dial down to bottom as stated above but then click up your desired amount under zero before taking the top cap off. I usually go back up .5 mils.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's very easy to zero. Might not be as well known as the old turn and float dial scopes but it allows you to get a perfect zero as there are no clicks so not a little off or between clicks. Also if you like a few clicks below the zero as I do you just dial down to bottom as stated above but then click up your desired amount under zero before taking the top cap off. I usually go back up .5 mils.
My wife does the .5 under for NRL22

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rob01 said:
I just don't like a hard stop at my zero.
Neither do I. I have a Viper PSTgen2 5-25x50 with a 20 minute rail on a 308 target rifle and I have the bottoming stop set at 3 minutes down - my zero is set at 300yards - so if I have a play with some different loads/cases/projectiles, I might need those 3 minutes.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Rob01 said:

Neither do I. I have a Viper PSTgen2 5-25x50 with a 20 minute rail on a 308 target rifle and I have the bottoming stop set at 3 minutes down - my zero is set at 300yards - so if I have a play with some different loads/cases/projectiles, I might need those 3 minutes.
You might be surprised how much the environmentals will change your zero at 300 yards. In order to be precise at longer distances, you will need to re zero at 300 when conditions change or it will be significantly off at longer distances.

This is why most people go with 100 yard zero. At 100 yards, environmental conditions don’t typically change poi enough to matter.

And I agree about the hard stop. There is about 4 clicks below zero on my scopes before I hit zero stop. Those few clicks are Handy some times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might be surprised how much the environmentals will change your zero at 300 yards.
Nothing surprises me anymore! I mainly shoot 300, 500, 600yds and 300metres and occasionally up to 1000yds all on ICFRA targets. I keep a log of any new firing points and the elevations and occasionally the baro pressure and temperature if they're very different from the norm. We do shoot all the year round which mean the temperature can vary from a bit below freezing to over 30 degs C in the sun although we do shoot under a gazebo now. All of our shooting is done prone so even the slope of the firing point can make a significant elevation change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts