Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a budget 223 bolt gun for some range fun. I've looked at the Remingtons 783 and the Ruger Americans to the savages axis and i keep coming back to the 783. I like the fact it has a bull barrel the recoil lug is part of the action not the stock. my question is are the any other budget rifles out there that im looking over?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a RAR in .223 and it was a big disappointment. Shoots mediocre and the action sits askew in the stock as the receiver cutouts for the lugs were machined crooked. The receiver is so weak that it binds the bolt if you tighten the action screws too much! I have since bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint when Remington had a rebate for less than $300 that shoots like a laser with lighter bullets. especially 52 grain SMKs. The only thing I added was a timney trigger as the Mark X trigger is rubbish. I suspect you'll be MUCH happier with the Remington 783 over the RAR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Mossburg Varmint bolt action .223 it uses ARtype magazines it shoots well I get groups of 1-1/2 at 100 yards with a Vortex Diamondback scope. My only complaint is the bolt is a bit wobbly when open and the magazine rattled a little.
Other than that it’s a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welp i ordered the 223 heavy barrel 783 today. I was torn between the barrel lengths one is 16.5 and the other is 24 inches. most of the time i'm shooting 2-500 yards and of that 200yds is 80% of the time so i ended up picking the 16.5 version. also i don't like the look of the 24inch version lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good choice! I have read some very good reviews on the 783. I might get one in 6.5 Creedmore myself. Let us know how it shoots!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started with a Savege Lightweight Varmit and have never looked back. I would highly recommend a Savage model 12 VLP with a 1:7 twist. It will easily shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started with a Savege Lightweight Varmit and have never looked back. I would highly recommend a Savage model 12 VLP with a 1:7 twist. It will easily shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yds.
a little outside my budget also i'm not a fan of the long barrels they just look meh to me

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked her up today and tossed a few things on. Still need scope caps and drill the holes for the riser DSC_0038907689.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts