Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last week looking at packs that can be used as a 72hour, and that I can take when I'm walking through the woods.
I like the new assault packs alot but I keep thinking ill stick with my Alice pack (medium) .
Whats your guys opinions?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Eberlestock packs. Having used every pack in the US military from 1982-pres. as well as 6-7 others nothing I have ever used comes close.

Eberlestock Tactical Products

Sully

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Eagle AIII should do the trick as well.

-Nate

·
Registered
75 Posts
Alice packs are actually quite crummy for carrying any weight. They will last forever, and are hell on your back.

Almost any civilian or military pack will be better, from a weight standpoint.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the military packs from Camelbak (CamelBak | Hydration Packs with Cargo Room - Military & Tactical) I have the older style of the MULE that I use for USPSA pistol matches and it's surprising how much you can get into something that small. For a 72hr pack, the HAWG holds a bunch of gear.

If you need to pack a rifle as well, then the Eberlestock is the ticket.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use a knock off 5.11 rush bag. bought it at walmart for $40 works just as well as my wifes rush27 bag. (plenty of field test with it)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Eberlestock little brother and if you need you can attach a scabbard. For fishing trips I use the SOC Bugout bag and has plenty of room. Just rember when looking at packs how much room the main compartment can hold is the most important part

·
Registered
538 Posts
Though often overlooked, I have used VooDoo packs for some time now. All have stood up up to my usage. In particular I like my VooDoo Praetorian (a Matrix pack with a rifle scabbard.) It has withstood lots of hunting trips where I am typically not babying my equipment. The scabbard adusts to carry everything from my SCAR to my 15lb 700 without issue and holds both secure enough to handle treks through the backwoods Missouri Ozarks without sliding around or being otherwise uncomfortable. It is hydration compatible and with easily holds enough gear for a 72-hour run. Moreover, at roughly $150 it's a lot easier on the pocketbook than many others out there. IMO worth a look.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Eberlestock makes tremendous kit. They are expensive, but anyone who's ever humped or lived out of a pack for weeks at a time will tell you they are worth every penny. They make packs designed for military ops and packs designed for hunting. Obviously there's some crossover for both.

Here's a partial review I did on another site

Seems to be very high quality. I love the internal frame and the breathability of the padding on the back and the kidneys is awesome.

The pack rides extremely well. The zippers and stitching are first class. And the layout is pretty good, lots of thought and experience went into it, although I feel there are a couple of small ways it could be improved, but that's probably more my personal preferences.

The pack has a truly astonishing amount of pockets, and storage possibilities, and I most like the fact that it features several different compression straps to manage the load, full or partial. And they're routed around the entire pack and solidly to the frame.

Some things I don't like:

1) No quick disconnects for shoulder straps. This is a must on a pack, both for tactical expediency when dumping the pack and also for unexpected water entries.
2) I was disappointed that the pack wasn't configured exactly like the videos on Eberlestock's website. The G4 model is supposed to feature a zip in/out shelf that separates the top of the main compartment and the bottom. Instead, it's now a permanent secondary waterproof bag type with cinch. Not effective or functional for actually separating the two compartments, as any voids on the lower compartment will stress and sag the bag. Also, the G4 in the videos featured adjustable bar inserts for the frame (to tailor to the user's body contour) mine does not feature any adjustment to contour, only to vertical positioning of the straps.
3) The pack comes with a rain cover, which is great, but the rain cover is too small. It has elastic around the opening as well as tethers, but the cover itself is just cheap plastic and they could have made it larger to accommodate any external stuff you might put on the pack. Like an oversized shower cap, they could have made it with a little breathing room. Additionally, it doesn't cover the rifle scabbard, so if it's raining, your boomstick is getting wet, as there's no weather seal down the main weapon compartment and the scabbard top cover.
4) Price. This pack is roughly 2x as expensive as nearly every other pack. It's high quality, so there's value for your money, but if you're on a budget, you can probably get 80-90% of this pack's capabilities for half the cost. it's truly a premium niche.
5) Multi-Cam. Not sure why the Multi-Cam are more expensive than the other patterns. Perhaps the fabric is more expensive. Not sure, but can't see how "uni-cam" would be any different/cheaper, but it is.

·
Registered
573 Posts
In fairness, I now know why multi cam is more expensive

·
Registered
149 Posts
A little different prospective. After 40/45 years of back packing, I've owned a lot of packs and kit. Those years have provided a long learning curve. I've been " prepper like" for the past 25 years, having a bag in all of my vehicles. There's alot to like about the Mystrey ranch and the eberlestock? packs.

What you might consider is size. It's been my observation that the bigger the pack, the more crap gets stuffed into it. Pretty soon ithe pack is UN realistically full of stuff.

Ideally you need to identify your specific kit, then purchase a pack that is just big enough to accommodate that kit. Extra pockets, and gimmicks just add unneeded weight. My children, their spouses, my wife, all recieved Kealty 3400 CI packs a couple of years ago. Basic kit such as water filters, hammocks basic cook kits, fuel and stove heads were incorporated.

The brand name is not important, the quality and construction, and how they fit your body are critical. Another thought is this . These mentioned packs were on sale for well under 100.00 back then, which freed up enough money to add the pre packed items mentioned. I own several ALICE packs, great packs, if you don't have to carry them very far.

Another consideration is adjustment systems, and hydration. I'm personally not a big fan of bladders inside the pack. The reason is simply this. The water adds weight, down low, replenishing the bladders with filtered water is a pain in the ass.

Depending on where you live and time of year consider the added weight of dry bagging essential equipment. I've had way to many bad experiences with pack covers, at the end of the day, with a pack cover your kit is soaked. Water runs down your back and soaks inside out.

Lastly, does it really matter what the brand name is? The key to longevity is quality. Doesn't matter if it a Northface, MTN Hardwear, or whatever brand. Dose t matter if it's a single opening, or has pockets. We will all find a way to make our kit fit, the pack of our choice.

Just thinking out loud.
PussyCat

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
You might check osprey bags. They are not tactical but they are class leading in light weight and they have a ridiculously good warranty. Maybe even Better than vortex's warranty (lol).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will preface this response by stating that I own two eberlestock packs-an X3 Lo drag, and a Gunslinger.
Both are great packs, both are heavy packs, really heavy. And the scabbards in both packs are too short to accommodate my 26" b arrels match rifle with a suppressor comfortably.
So, I'm experimenting with using a molle webbing covered assault pack from Blackhawk and a Kifaru Gunbearer system for the Steel Safari (lots of walking over rough terrain). This will/should allow for hands free gun portage and an overall lighter pack system.
I'll ultimately end up with a Kifaru pack and Gunbearer when I can get over the price!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like my 5.11/camelbak for a lower end 350.00 pack it is fantastic complete compression MOLLE/ PALS compatible everywhere extremely comfortable great weight distribution easy 550 cord attachment if you need to moss it up and an enormous water bladder it also works great as a pillow or to shoot off of. My Direct Action Dragon Egg is also another great pack offers everything the 511 does and both packs have spent weeks and months in the bush and are still going strong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the military packs from Camelbak (CamelBak | Hydration Packs with Cargo Room - Military & Tactical) I have the older style of the MULE that I use for USPSA pistol matches and it's surprising how much you can get into something that small. For a 72hr pack, the HAWG holds a bunch of gear.

If you need to pack a rifle as well, then the Eberlestock is the ticket.
I've got Chute Mag From CamelBack at low while using the CamelBak Promo Code You get here many Coupons Discount & Voucher Code of multiple products. you may get Free Shipping for $25 other hand you can easily return your products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts