Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to purchase a Leupold scope for my new rifle, 700 VLS in .308, but I'm having a little trouble with deciding on the optics to put on top of her.

I've settled on either the Mk 4 3-9x40 OR a Var-XIII 3.5-10x50

I can get the Mk 4 with the Mk 4 rings and bases for about the same price that I can get the Var-XIII(scope only). This is mainly a hunting rifle, but I still want the most bang for my buck. Any advice for me?

I just graduated from college, and I'm using my grad money to finance my new rig...I'm just looking for the best optics I can get for the money, since I'm sitting on X amount of dollars I can spend.

I just feel like the Mk 4 with the Mk 4 rings and bases would be a better overall set-up.

Thanks,
Matt :arrow: :arrow:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
This is mainly a hunting rifle
Ok, I was planning on building a hunting rifle out of my 5R. Here is what I was going to do.

Scope- MkIV 3-9x40mm (Mil Dot) < do you need mil dots? No, but I want to learn to use them.

Rings & Base- All TPS stuff. They are a GREAT cost effective alternative to more expensive rings and should be perfect for this application. IMHO a more expensive base and rings will not make the difference for this type of application.

Should be cost effective, accurate, and dependable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I checked out the TPS products. They look pretty good. I think I'm gonna go with them.

Anyone else have any insight about my optics purchase?

-Matt

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you're only going to be hunting with the rifle (be sure of this, as you might change your mind later), then go for the former because you can get the whole package for the same price as the latter and you won't really need the additional magnification.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
In terms of the scopes them selves,

The Mkr 4 PR 3-9x40mm scope is the equivilant of the VXII scopes, so the VXIII will have slightly better optics. Thats where the extra cost comes in (as well as the larger objective which will gather more light).

So, it comes down to whether you want to pay the extra money for the better scope, or not. That VXIII also probably does not have target knobs, so there is another decision you need to make.

Are these used or new? If new, I can provide some pricing and maybe help save you some money. If they are used, you are probably getting a better deal than buying new.

MEL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts