300 wsm
This gun will be used a lot at the range hopefuly
I also dont want a gun that everybody has
thats why im staying away from 308
and other reasons too. :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
If it was me I would use a 300 win with A-FRAME SWIFT bullets. The aframe is one of the best bullets ever made it holds 95% of its weight retention and it very accurate. If I remember they come in a 200 grain bullet for the 300 win. It is enough bullet to definitely put the deer down, but not to much for overkill. sniperdog

·
Registered
994 Posts
Please title threads more appropriately: imagine my embarassment when I had to tell the 911 operator, "I'm sorry, apparently the post isn't regarding an emergency."

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
492 Posts
scatch do me a favor and go have a drink, smoke a cigerette, do whatever it is that you have to do to chill out on the grammer. Go shoot something whatever it is that makes you feel better. Comment on the subject and be helpful. My question to you is are you in love with sniper rifles and long range shooting or grammer. So either talk guns or join a grammer website!!!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Wooooo... slow down there sniperdog.

Scatch, in his unique way, was just suggesting that we could make the subject lines a bit more relavent. Its all good.

Back on topic:

Of the ones mentioned, the .300 WSM would make a good round and will do everything you want. BUT, if you want something unique, load up some 220gr matchkings in it... that would be fun, though the matchking isn't great for hunting.

MEL

·
Registered
492 Posts
sorry mele, I just like to see people helped not harped on for grammer, but the 220 matchking is a good suggestion. Good thinking

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ok if I had to make the choose I pick the 270WSM can't go wrong with a .270 Jack O,connor would say and in a maaaagum would be that much better. 270 WSM come close the the 270 weathby mag and it areal good hunting rifle for all north America game.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thnx for the input guys this is helping me make some hard decissions.
I think the choice now is between the 270wsm & the 300 wsm.
No ones been in favor of the 22-250 so far.

Heres a link for some of the peeps that dont know anything about Savage Arms. It kinda impressed me a little ,but then again i like the purty sparklies too :lol: http://www.savagearms.com/images/pdf/pressReleases/corporate/ManufacturerYear.pdf

And please keep the comments coming!!

I would also like to make a formal appology for all my typos.
I only gradgiated the 3rd grade.

P.S. I didnt know we had to be perfect in here. :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
the 22-250 is to damn small for deer at 500 + yards... you would just injure it unless you hit it right in a major blood pump. The 270 WSM is a what i call a barrel burner... you said you want to shoot it at the range as well as use it to get some venison; ssoooo.... I would use the 300 WSM in a semi varminter (semi heavy) barrel... maybe even with a target crown or muzzle break (since im sure the 300 WSM kicks a bit)... it would work great for both.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok the 22-250 is out, its now between the 270 and 300 wsm
I was also looking for individuality in this gun.
Everybody and their mother down here has a 300wsm.
And the 270 wsm is looking good at this point.
Thats why I was looking at the other 2 also.
I was also thinking the 22-250 was too small.
The rifle is also gonna be a stainless bull barrel.
of custom length a little longer than most . :twisted:
but still short enough for mel to work with.

Why do you call the 270 wsm a barrel burner?
I havnt heard that term before.

Thnx for the comments guys this is helping me a lot!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The term "Barrel Burner" reffers to the caliber.... it tends to Burn the barrel out pretty fast. Check out the .300 Lazzeroni War Bird... the worlds fasted 30 caliber... the manufacturer says to have the barrel replaced after every 400 rounds. :shock: :lol: . Same with the .223 WSM... i would imagine the barrel life on that thing wouldnt be more than 500 rounds at the MAX. I havent really looked at the .25 WSM but im sure its a barrel burner as well. As far as the 270 WSM goes... im sure it will have at least 1,000 round life. But i imagine the accuracy wont be that great toward the end of its life. I dont know that much about the 270 WSM so maybe some one else can fill you and i both in on the barrel life of the 270 WSM. And another thing. All the Winchester Short Mag's were designed for hunters who wanted (or needed) the power of the long Magnum calibers... but didnt want to lug around the more heavy long action rifles in those long magnum calibers.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
But then again... the Winchester Short Mags (WSM) and Winchester Super Short Mags (WSSM) were not designed for target shooting... they were made for hunters who probably... at the most... put a box or two through the rifle each year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thnx for the info Ballistic. :D
Didnt realize how fast a barrel could go out :shock:
But im learning.

Mel I think were gonna go with the 300 wsm.

Thnx for the help guys I really needed it.
Hmmm now for barrel length? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Barrel lenght... with a WSM you really dont need that long of a barrel... the casing was designed short and fat not only to be able to fit it into a shorter action... but to burn the powder charge more quickly. You can get high velocities with a shorter barrel and shorter action with less reciol... thats the whole point of the WSM and WSSM. So in all reality you really dont need a long barrel. With a WSM or WSSM.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
IF you want something good out to 500 yards, thats not alot of poeple ahve then go for the 260 remington or 6.5x55. Both use a 6.5mm bullet which has a great sectional density and a great BC. Not alot of people have them either.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
the 6.5X55mm has a great what now? 8)

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I lnow you want individuality, but if you want a 270 dont discount the original 270WIN. No barrel burner there, and with the barnes solid copper Xbullet it is very doable on deer to 600, and shoots flat too. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
In your pick is it a rifle you can buy off the shelf or is it one that you would like to biuld? Are you just going to use it for hunting or a combination of hunting and long range shooting?
As to the 270WSM I wouldn't class it as a barrel burner, true your not going to last as long as the 270 win but life shouldn't be more than 10% less.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
994 Posts
sniperdog-alpha1 said:
sorry mele, I just like to see people helped not harped on for grammer, but the 220 matchking is a good suggestion. Good thinking
For clarification:

1) A thread title has nothing to do with grammar
2) It's actually quite humorous when you interpret it as the joke that it is always intended to be.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
2) It's actually quite humorous when you interpret it as the joke that it is always intended to be.

Scatch Maroo
Scatch,

You have mixed your tenses in this particular statement. A better way would have been:

It's actually quite humorous when interpreted as the joke that it was always intended to be.

:twisted:

John

1 - 20 of 55 Posts