Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bird told me where I could find a good deal on some used components- glad I listened. SC rocks!!!

Man these rings are somethin' else- between the two of them they take a dozen torx screws!

I'm trying to swing a deal on a used Leupold...and as soon as I have the right scope mounted out comes the duracoat!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I also got better clearance of the bell. Can't wait to break this puppy in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Exact rings I am purchasing soon. Between a 20 MOA Ken Farrell base, and a Falcon Menace 10x42 scope, I am trying to figure out which height rings to get.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the math before I got the previous set, a leupold 2-pc, and figured I get clearance with their tall rings. I did, but I was too precise and even though technically there was clearance, you'd be hard pressed to slip a sheet of paper in there. Made me nervous. Of course the barrel I have is quite fat, so for probably most barrels it would be fine.

With this base and med Burris XTR's, I've got a good 3/8"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks good. It's hard to get "excited" about scope rings but the XTRs and a couple other brands big tactical ones just look macho. I ordered xtrs with an xtr-10 scope and I think i fondled the rings more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a set of these rings and I like them. I am using them on a Rem 700 5R .308, I have a one piece Leupold base but didn't want to use the Leupold steel rings so I picked up a set of the Burris XTR aluminum rings. They have worked great for me with only one minor issue (which was my fault).

The only issue I have had is that with six screws per ring you need to be very careful to tighten them in a star pattern and as evenly as possible. You should keep checking the opposite screw from the one you tightened every turn or they will not be even (when you tighten one screw the opposite kitty corner one is slightly loose if not evenly torqued down) and if you don't catch this they will loosen over time and the scope can move. This only happened to me once, the first time I used the rings at about 25 rounds. I learned after that not only keep them tight but even as well. Fortunately I had read somewhere here to mark the scope position with white fingernail polish cross the scope tube and the rings and had done so. This made it easy first to see why my POI moved and second to return the scope to its original position.

Just my 2 cents, and my first post. I have been lurking here on and off for about a year picking up some great info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sohc1971 said:
Exact rings I am purchasing soon. Between a 20 MOA Ken Farrell base, and a Falcon Menace 10x42 scope, I am trying to figure out which height rings to get.
My setup on a rem 700 PSS
Falcon Menace 10X42T Metric MP 20
Warne 20MOA base
Burris XTR Low Rings (lapped)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Farrell makes some sick bases, nice setup.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh

I offered to trade a rifle for a used Leupold. It's a MK4 3.5-10x40, non-illum duplex, 168gr BDC.

Here's the rifle I want to trade, it's a .30-06 Win Mod 70 XTR with 3-9x32 Bushnell & Turner sling.

Think it's worth a used MK4? Or is offering the trade a lowball insult?

·
Registered
115 Posts
bossgvr4 said:
sohc1971 said:
My setup on a rem 700 PSS
Falcon Menace 10X42T Metric MP 20
Warne 20MOA base
Burris XTR Low Rings (lapped)
Thanks. I think your barrel profile is pretty similar to mine (Savage 10FP). What's the clearance between scope and barrel?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah that's plenty

lookin good

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Near MFG? hmmm...

I'm off to see the google...