Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll,

Just a quick SITREP from Iraq. We've been working the streets of Baghdad since early January, a big change in scenery and tactics from the farmlands around Taji where we fought for the first three months. April was a good month for us, the only one so far we haven't lost a soldier. So far we've had 15 KIA's and 20+WIA's in the battalion, which is understrength and only fields around 200 men for patrol duties.
My Company along with others is tasked with securing one of the major routes within Baghdad. We take fire on occasion, but our biggest threat still remains in the form of roadside and car bombs. The enemy is quite cowardly, rarely fighting in the open, the best they do is take pot shots with small arms fire or RPG's, and always from the cover of populated areas, thus restricting our ability to fire back.
While I still push the command for dedicated Sniper missions, my primary duties are still Infantry. We lost one of our better Snipers in the battalion, when a roadside bomb (IED) took out his eye. He's back in the states now, from what I hear doing fine, but the command hasn't fielded Snipers in any numbers since. I feel that Snipers are still the best way to take the fight to the enemy, but command rarely listens to it's soldiers in the field.
A special thanks goes out to Mark Lammers, and his police dept. for donating several concealable body armor vests to us. We've put them to use as much as we can, and they are most appreciated. Thanks.
Well take care ya'll, and just know the soldiers are still out here, and still doing their best to get the job done.

Scouts Out,
Spc. R. B. Rees
A Co. 1/69th INF
Baghdad, Iraq

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Good to hear from you as always.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and everyone with.

We're very proud to have you as a member of Sniper Central.

Stay on your command, maybe they'll get tired of hearing from you and give you what you want.

We'll have to have you out to one of the SC shoots when you get back.

Best,

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Best of luck to you, and to the men...I hope there are a lot more months like April ahead.

Please, keep giving us updates when you can, so we know how you are doing, and stay safe to get back home!

Thank you for the service.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
thanks for the sitrep. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good luck and God bless.

Thanks to Mlammers as well for getting some equipment out there. Everyone has to help in any way they can, and that was certainly helpful by the sounds of it.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'll give you the official SC "good job and be safe!"

Thanks for the update and keep us posted

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Rees,

Thank you for doing the job out there, if you were not fighting them there, more of them would be over here, harming our family and friends. You and guys like BC are the tip of the spear, it is an honor to help in any possible way. If you need more armor let me know, I can most likely get some. Be careful, stay safe and God Bless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts