Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I only just got my gun license recently so I'm looking to buy a couple of rifles. I will be shooting a variety of game on the family property. We have an abundance of rabbits, fox's, goats, pigs, roo's and deer. They are all pests in abundance and need to be culled. Even though I enjoy shooting it is also part of my job and so I want to have some good gear. From the reading I have done I thought a .223 and a .308 would be most useful to me. For rabbits the .223 is probably a bit big but I might just get a .22 later for them anyway.

I have a budget of around $1500 Aus ($1125 US) for each rifle and around the same for the scope. At this stage I am going to get:
Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in .308 $1499 Aus ($1124 US)
Tikka T3X Varmint Stainless in .223 $1490 Aus ($1117 US)

For scopes I was thinking:
Zeiss Conquest DL 2-8x42 illuminated $1695 Aus ($1271 US) for the Browning
Leupold VX•R 4-12x40mm Ballistic Firedot $1075 Aus ($807 US) for the Tikka

I don't really have much experience with using illuminated scopes but considering that I am doing a lot of shooting in poor light it was a feature that I really wanted to have on both scopes. The thing is that I did feel like I could have been spending a little more than I intended on the zeiss scope. The problem is I can't really seem to find any other good scopes with illuminated reticles that come close to it in performance for under that price. I was just looking for some advice to see if these will be good setups for the money that I am spending and If I am on the right track. I am relatively inexperienced with shooting but have done a little growing up. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I mean if you didn't care about recovering any of the smaller animals, a 308 or similar cartridge would work. Out of curiosity, do you reloaded? If so what is component availability? If not what is ammo availability?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you looked at the Lithgow LA102 or LA101? They are getting great reviews and very good accuracy for a factory rifle. Also made here in Australia.

Benny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts