Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Currently working up load data for the Hornady 208gr ELD Match in my 300WM Rem700 Long Range SS with 26" barrel.
Loaded over 77 grains of ADI AR2217 (H1000) I am getting excellent consistency with the last three rounds recording 2875fps, 2885fps and 2882fps with the chrony 5m away from the muzzle.

My concern is that 3 shot groups are as good if not better at 200m (6 groups average 1.70") and 100m (6 groups average 1.75"), idea is that the long bullets take time to settle down.
Half my shooting colleagues agree the other half say that's BS.

What is the general opinion?

Any thoughts are appreciated
John
Australia

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
If you are only shooting 1.75" at 100 then you need to work that load better as that is not good. That should be at least under an inch.

·
Banned
368 Posts
They are ELDs so you will wana find a sweet spot with seating depth as well. This settling down thing your talking about is BS. Do a ladder test like everyone else and spend a lot of time to find out what your rifle likes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are ELDs so you will wana find a sweet spot with seating depth as well. This settling down thing your talking about is BS. Do a ladder test like everyone else and spend a lot of time to find out what your rifle likes.
I was puzzled that it was holding an average of sub MOA at 200m but now where near that at 100m. It was mentioned to me the VLD bullets yaw and take a bit to settle down, reading sh*t on the net shows about 50% of the people (some very experienced ballisticians included) say it definitely happens and the rest say it's BS.
Currently loaded 0.040" off jam and just fits in the magazine box at 3.615" OAL.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I was puzzled that it was holding an average of sub MOA at 200m but now where near that at 100m. It was mentioned to me the VLD bullets yaw and take a bit to settle down, reading sh*t on the net shows about 50% of the people (some very experienced ballisticians included) say it definitely happens and the rest say it's BS.
Currently loaded 0.040" off jam and just fits in the magazine box at 3.615" OAL.
Your rifle may not like that projectile then. You can try everything and keep shoving em down it's throat,but nothing is going to change. Buy another projectile "Berger,Sierra ect.." and try those and see what ya get. I kept trying Hornady's then tried a Berger VLD and Bam..1/4-1/2 moa OR BETTER.

·
Banned
368 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the 208gr ELDM bullet to shoot a consistent inch group over Retumbo, changed to 168gr Nosler CC over H4350 while loading for my wife's 308w and low and behold 0.182", 0.186" and 0.189". Maybe the 300wm Rem barrel I have just likes plain old vanilla bullets :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts