Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is familiar with this item, I’m having the hardest time trying to feel the landings to set the bullet. Every time i think I feel something, I stop and slide it out only to see the plunger sticking out of the modified case. Is my Savage Stealth 110BA 300 Win Mag have a different set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
If anyone is familiar with this item, I’m having the hardest time trying to feel the landings to set the bullet. Every time i think I feel something, I stop and slide it out only to see the plunger sticking out of the modified case. Is my Savage Stealth 110BA 300 Win Mag have a different set up?

Never had that happen. Stupid question but I'm sure your using right modified case?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts

Or it is easy not have the case seated all the way, especially if its a tight chamber

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or it is easy not have the case seated all the way, especially if its a tight chamber

I keep having to poke the bullet out with a cleaning rod. What I do is screw on the case, I drop a bullet deep in the case, I’ll insert the case fully in the chamber, then I’ll push the plunger until I feel something, then I lock it, pull it out and there’s no bullet and the plunger is through the case, and the bullet is just chilling out in his home.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This thing seemed like the greatest thing to happen to reloading and of course my rifle wants to be different.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I keep having to poke the bullet out with a cleaning rod. What I do is screw on the case, I drop a bullet deep in the case, I’ll insert the case fully in the chamber, then I’ll push the plunger until I feel something, then I lock it, pull it out and there’s no bullet and the plunger is through the case, and the bullet is just chilling out in his home.

Lol, it pretty normal for the bullet to lightly stick but as for the plunger sticking out, not a problem ive ran into yet

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, it pretty normal for the bullet to lightly stick but as for the plunger sticking out, not a problem ive ran into yet

Oh boy . I’ll see what Hornady says. Usually their customer service is beyond a joke during normal times. so this should be interesting. It’s like talking to a bunch of con-artists.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oh boy . I’ll see what Hornady says. Usually their customer service is beyond a joke during normal times. so this should be interesting. It’s like talking to a bunch of con-artists.

I've had good success with them, maybe you will too:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had good success with them, maybe you will too:)

I just hope I didn’t ruin my barrel over the past year when I ran it hot a lot of times. I didn’t know about that when I first started shooting. Lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just hope I didn’t ruin my barrel over the past year when I ran it hot a lot of times. I didn’t know about that when I first started shooting. Lol

Not saying you.couldnt have but that sounds like it would be some.excessive wear. How does it shoot with recommended oal if your load data?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not saying you.couldnt have but that sounds like it would be some.excessive wear. How does it shoot with recommended oal if your load data?

It’s 1/2MOA at 200 yds. When I’m in the zone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats pretty good I would think

So that would be an indication of a barrel that’s in good condition?

Unless I’m reloading cartridges so messed up, that it’s countering the bad barrel. (I’m kidding, I’d have to be Einstein to do that)

·
Registered
129 Posts

Are you keeping a slight forward pressure on the case when you move the bullet into the lands ??

·
Registered
536 Posts
So that would be an indication of a barrel that’s in good condition?

Unless I’m reloading cartridges so messed up, that it’s countering the bad barrel. (I’m kidding, I’d have to be Einstein to do that)
Not necessarily, im just saying 1/2 moa on a factory barrel is not bad at all. I wouldn't think the distance to lands would be that much though.. maybe measure your modified case and compare to a factory or resized case just to be sure something isn't wrong with it. I do know it pretty easy to not have or get the case seated all the way, especially if its a tight chamber.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not necessarily, im just saying 1/2 moa on a factory barrel is not bad at all. I wouldn't think the distance to lands would be that much though.. maybe measure your modified case and compare to a factory or resized case just to be sure something isn't wrong with it. I do know it pretty easy to not have or get the case seated all the way, especially if its a tight chamber.

It’s definitely a tight chamber.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you keeping a slight forward pressure on the case when you move the bullet into the lands ??
I tried leaning it in one direction to see if I can feel where it is. But still felt nothing until the bullet fell out of the casing. However I hit a bowling pin 2x today at 1000 yards. So my seating can’t be too off as it is so far. But I just have this thing where I need it to be a perfect bullet. If I’m doing all the work, I may as well get the best results.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I had a similar problem in a different caliber. My neck ID, was a bit loose. I reduced the OD and problem solved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts