Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here know where to find Hornady TAP? Cant find it locally, and am struggling online. Sept for hornady's website which is severely overpriced.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? specifically .308.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ammoman doesnt have it.

The guy to ask about the 308 version would be MLammers... he's using it as his primary load for work.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not hornady TAP but Northwest loading... the website you guys posted. Has remanufactured Black Hills match grade .223 68 grain for a good price. 50 rounds for 17.88.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought my my TAP 308 from cabelas.com
Actually I ordered it from there shooting flyer I get.
the cost was 19.99 per box plus a little shipping. I usually make large orders from them and they kick the shipping charges.

What can I say, it's pretty good stuff. I used it on my Howa 308 and my custom M-14. It worked great in my howa but just ok in my M-14
the reason for that is the M-14 is really choosy about what it likes to shoot. It seems to really like the winchester supreme stuff.

I also tried the 9mm and 45acp. I though I hit the jackpot when I ordered it because it was so cheap. When it came to me I found out that the 9MM comes in boxes of 25 and the 45acp comes in boxes of 20..oops guess I should read that fine print.
The pistol ammo I had no problems with. I used the 9mm in my browning hi power and custom 1911. The browning really liked the TAP. 80 rounds and no feeding problems.
The 45 was used in my Sig P220, I had one jam but it was due to my own mis-doing

All in all the stuff is good quality ammo. Try it and see if your rifle likes it. Then pull it apart and try to copy it. Hey, its what I do
hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Did you order the TAP (red box) of the new TAP-Personal Defence (black box, with the slick new black nickle cases)?

I would like to try some of the 77gn .223 in the TAP-PD. Looks to be a AMAX bullet. They also have the 308 in 110, 150?, and 168gn. Looks to be good stuff!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
is there any advantage/disadvantage to the nickel case?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
OH YEA MAN!!! YOU PICK UP A EXTRA 75 FPS (on a 20" barrel)!!! Something about the black case reflects more of the charge down the barrel. Plus they are for "super dooper snipers".

(in other words they can charge more for them because they are "TACTICAL")

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just read an article about the new TAP FPD, and I have mixed feelings about it. First, I think the old red box TAP is still available, to address a concern from above, but we still aren't supposed to have it.

The shotgun and pistol offerings seem fine enough, but as for the new rifle ammo, I get that "de-fanged" feeling. Apparently Hornady chose the loads from the red box line that were most applicable to "civilian" use.

All of the rifle ammo is designed for minimum penetration. They're designed to quickly tumble or fragment, or both. Of course I guess the result would be a massive wound channel, but rifles are meant to penetrate. I suppose these loads are best described as "special purpose" ammo, where you don't want the bullet to over-penetrate. Still, I hate it when companies mark things "L.E. only" when there is no reason why us lowly commoners couldn't have it.

*grin* okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :wink:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Okay, this is fast and dirty, I need to get to sleep, working in the morn.

I just today read that the 110 grain TAP FPD .308 ammo still goes through auto glass with minimal deflection. As another plus, it cycles through semi-autos and doesn't kick much. So maybe its more useful than I thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts