Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard on the news today that some idiot in LA took a women hostage on a street corner. He was wearing a sign but nobody could read it because of the women standing in front of him. Anyways the police shot him, they showed it on TV, he dropped like a rock. You think they used a Tac Ops on him? He is in critical condition surprised he didn't die on the spot.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Taking hostages should be a life-threatening situation for the hostage taker. Since the vast majority of police shots of this type are from well within 100 yards, if the police took the shot and the hostage taker is still alive somebody screwed up the shot (at least in my opinion). I was always taught that the use of deadly force should result in a fatality (hopefully the bad guys). Just my $0.02.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Jeffvn.........I could not have said it any better myself!!

They screwed up and if he lives I am sure he will win a huge lawsuit with some sorry @$$ attorney.

:idea: maybe the police should use attorneys for backstops <hehehe>

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
LA County Sheriff uses exclusively Tac-Ops. LAPD does not. FBI uses their home brews right now (made by USMC armorers at Quantico if memory serves me correctly).

Did the hostage survive? If so, then the sharpshooter did his job. He may not have instantly killed the subject, but apparently he instantly incapacitated him. Remember, that brain stem is about a 1" x 1" target. Now, throw in the fact that that 1" target is bouncing around, moving, is holding a hostage, etc. It is not a trivial shot. Subject could have turned his head the exact instance the trigger was pulled, etc. LA SWAT and LA Sheriff SEB are two of the most active and best units in the country... those guys are pros.

For good practice, fill up a helium ballon, put a 1" sticker circle on the ballon, tie it on your target with about 3-4 feet of ribbon at 100 yards on a breezy day (so its constantly moving around), and try and hit the circle sticker.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"For good practice, fill up a helium ballon, put a 1" sticker circle on the ballon, tie it on your target with about 3-4 feet of ribbon at 100 yards on a breezy day (so its constantly moving around), and try and hit the circle sticker. "

MEL, that sounds like some great fun!!

I am not picking on those guys buy no means!! I have the highest respect for them!! (I would not want the stress that those fellas are under!!) Just wish they would have killed that sucker.

·
Registered
524 Posts
mele said:
those guys are pros.

MEL
Couldn't of said it better myself. Who ever took that shot did a hell of a good job.......the hostage lived and the hostage taker is critical in the hospital.

Watching the video this morning really showed how difficult a shot it was.

Lets paint a picture.
He comes out a back stairwell to alley and move down a side walk laced with trees every few yards. The trees leaves start about 7-8 feet up so and elevated sharpshooter positions are worthless. The guy was moving backward up a inclined sidewalk moving the hostage left and right to creat cover all while holding a gun to the pregant girls head. The gun was placed so high that it was almost resting on his chin covering the lower part of his head.

Not to mention that the sniper most likley had to run to that position cause they prolly had a line of sight on all the front exits and the guy went out a back but then went parralel the main building. And the sidewalk was filled with cops. I counted at least three in front on the man and two behind him.

Make a shot like that after running. PROS!

I tip my hat to everyone at that scene but somebody get that sharpshooter a cookie.
:D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i dont see why the hostage taker should be considered important
i say better if the brain stem is hit
his life isnt the one trying to be saved
but woldnt a head shot with a police sniping round (probably .308) at police sniping distances (<100y) kill instantly even if it missed the brain stem?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
but woldnt a head shot with a police sniping round (probably .308) at police sniping distances (<100y) kill instantly even if it missed the brain stem?
Cause the human body is a mystery. You would be praying you hit the brain step so you could stop all body movement....including the hostage taker from pulling the trigger.....even out of reflex. With a head shot there is no guarantee that he won't still pull the trigger.

·
Registered
314 Posts
LA Sherrifs are the best of the best at what they do! GO LA SHERIFFS lol
that must have been a F#$$ing tough shot..... anyway havnt heard about anything like that (way too common to make headlines) lol

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I always figured the same Jeff, as long as it hits the computer, say right between the eyes, that the dude wouldn't be able to pull the trigger.

Guess if it was me with the gun to my head though, I would want the sniper to take the medulla shot lol.

Edit...Did anyone see the loser who got it in Toronto about a month ago? similar situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts