Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, how are you doing? There is something I wish to know from you guys. What lubricating stuff you guys use in your handgun/rifle? And which components of the gun should be oiled without fail? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
if it slide grease it.
if it rotates oil it.

grease: twb 25, shooters choice, mobile 1 synthetic grease

oil: clenzoil, lucas extreme gun oil, breakfree clp, fp10, mpro....ect
they all work some need to be applied more often. especially during use. for storage, every month or two check and relube as needed.

latley iv been using mobile 1 synthetic grease form the auto store and whatever new synthetic gun oil is available .

in regards to how much and were it depends on the action and the brand of gun.

a metal frame gun is usually oiled or greased differently than a glock.

an ar 15 is oiles differently than a rem 700.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
1) Lubrication is a trade-off between too little and too much. Too little causes malfunctions and galling; too much attacks dirt which is abrasive and causes wear - and malfunctions. In general less is better. Light oil should be applied to any surface with wear marks; grease usually should be reserved for high-pressure areas (bolt lugs, pivot points of break-open shotguns, etc)

2) Different types of guns (break-open shotguns, bolt rifles, semi-A rifles, and specifically AR-15) require different lubrication routine but if you follow the guidelines above, you should be ok.

3) Least important is the actual lube - they probably all will do the same job though some may be easier to apply or have some other minor advantage. I personally believe synthetics are superior to straight petroleum lubes though I'm sure some will disagree.

Hope this helps---

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I use mobile synthetic 28 grease for all things gun/reloading related that need grease.

I use lucas extreme gun oil for all things shooting/reloading related that need oil.

The only exception is that I also use Kroil depending on the circumstance. Kroil is great for breaking loose stuck screws or breaking down carbon deposts...but then I will follow up with lucas extreme after the fact.

Any lubricant is better than none...but there are definitely differences in quality, longevity, and application of different lubes.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Grease the sliding bits (anywhere where two surfaces slide, lugs, races, firing pin cams, extraction cams)

Put transmission oil on the parts I don't want to rust, minus the bolt body or anywhere where lube might get on the cartridges as I don't want to cause issues when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use lightweight synthetic motor oil on my AR. It's what I have around. I figure it's an oil designed to be used in high temperature fast moving pistons applications, and that's basically what a bolt carrier is in an AR. Hasn't given me any issues yet.

I was an armorer once upon a time and I still follow the recommended amount of lubrication I learned from that job. A "heavy" coat of oil is barely enough to see on the surface.

I generally apply oil to a rag and then wipe it on to whatever parts need it, and then wipe excess off with the dry part of the same rag.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I realize that this is a stupid question but does anyone ever read the manufacturer's instructions in the Manual? Where and what to use is covered in all of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I realize that this is a stupid question but does anyone ever read the manufacturer's instructions in the Manual? Where and what to use is covered in all of them.
probably, but I think everyone figures out what works for them based on those and goes from there.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I use lightweight synthetic motor oil on my AR. It's what I have around. I figure it's an oil designed to be used in high temperature fast moving pistons applications, and that's basically what a bolt carrier is in an AR. Hasn't given me any issues yet.

I was an armorer once upon a time and I still follow the recommended amount of lubrication I learned from that job. A "heavy" coat of oil is barely enough to see on the surface.

I generally apply oil to a rag and then wipe it on to whatever parts need it, and then wipe excess off with the dry part of the same rag.
The only oil that does any work is that thin coat on the working metal surfaces. The rest merely attracts dirt or ends up on your eye-pro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts