Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to working on gun. I was just wondering how hard it is to build a precision rifle that is capable of 1 to 1/2 moa. I know there will be guys that say to just buy one but I've always had the desire to build things like this. I just want to know if I was able to get the right parts would I be able to build this gun?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Depends on what type of a rifle you want to build. An AR is relatively easy, a bolt gun is another ball game.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what type of a rifle you want to build. An AR is relatively easy, a bolt gun is another ball game.
Could I realistically build a precision AR rifle that could go 1k and further. What calibers would I have to choose from?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could I realistically build a precision AR rifle that could go 1k and further. What calibers would I have to choose from?

That's an amazing article!! I've already built two AR platform rifle but nothing to fancy. I think this could be a real option for me. If you have any recommendations of places to get high end parts for a rifle like this it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Get a trued Remington 700 action from either PTG or Bruno.

Get a Criterion "Rem-age" barrel in your caliber and cartridge of choosing, and install it on the action above.

Pillar and Glass both into a decent take-off laminate stock, or one from McMillan, Manners, or HS Precision.

Carefully mount a decent sighting system.

Clean everything up, torque to spec, and begin loading to find the load that will hammer the centers out of targets.

-Nate

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Get a Criterion "Rem-age" barrel in your caliber and cartridge of choosing, and install it on the action above.

Pillar and Glass both into a decent take-off laminate stock, or one from McMillan, Manners, or HS Precision.

Clean everything up, torque to spec, and begin loading to find the load that will hammer the centers out of targets.

-Nate
Thought he was looking to build an AR to go 1000yds. Maybe I'm missing something but I hear AR I think semi auto.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thought he was looking to build an AR to go 1000yds. Maybe I'm missing something but I hear AR I think semi auto.
I haven't completely made up my mind. I'm still try to figure out what caliber I want to build the gun around. I would love to build an AR but I think a bolt gun would be more accurate. That being said, I've also made the decision that I want to use this gun for hunting as well so I'm favoring the 300 win. mag. The plan is to still go 1000 on the range. More if possible.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts

-Nate
I wouldn't mind going this route on my next rifle.

Reactions: 308Impact

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I haven't completely made up my mind. I'm still try to figure out what caliber I want to build the gun around. I would love to build an AR but I think a bolt gun would be more accurate. That being said, I've also made the decision that I want to use this gun for hunting as well so I'm favoring the 300 win. mag. The plan is to still go 1000 on the range. More if possible.

So just build a "Hybrid". Get a 700 action, add barrel and trigger of your choice, then install it in an MDT-TAC21 Chassis. All the "look and feel" of an AR with the accuracy of a Bolt action.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just build a "Hybrid". Get a 700 action, add barrel and trigger of your choice, then install it in an MDT-TAC21 Chassis. All the "look and feel" of an AR with the accuracy of a Bolt action.

Are you able to swap different AR butt stocks out on that chassis?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Are you able to swap different AR butt stocks out on that chassis?

The TAC-21 Chassis uses any Buttstock or grip that will fit an AR-15. MDT also offers some real nice skeletonized stocks. I chose the Magpul PRS because of the heavy barrel/brake. Kind of balances out the rifle, both in weight distribution and "look",

How much is that thing going to weigh in 300wm?
Depends on Barrel Contour and/or length of barrel. The above rifle is just under ~15# or so with the NXS scope and Benchmark "Sendero" profiled barrel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Bailey

What kind of hunting do you plan to do with this rifle. Weight might be a consideration if you plan to lug this thing long distances chasing game. You may want to discuss that with some of the pros here. For me 15# is getting a bit weighty to haul long distances. Just a thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bailey

What kind of hunting do you plan to do with this rifle. Weight might be a consideration if you plan to lug this thing long distances chasing game. You may want to discuss that with some of the pros here. For me 15# is getting a bit weighty to haul long distances. Just a thought.
I've been meaning to bring this up. I plan on taking this on the occasional DIY elk/muley hunt so she's it does need to be portable. Although i don't want to sacrifice to much accuracy. I would be will to haul an extra pound or two if it meant being able to shoot tighter groups at 750 yds.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Bailey

This definitely wasn't built to "Haul" long distances but "Long Distances" were certainly a part of the decision to build it.:cool:

Then again, why not pack a 15# rifle and just take 5# out of the pack? Leave everything but the essentials home.

To add:

Why not consider a Biathalon type sling like this?

Magpul has a QD mount for a picatinney rail which can be mounted on the side of the TAC-21 Chassis. The "Footman Loop" on the buttstock shown in my pic can be replaced with a QD mount as well. Just add the double sling like shown in pic above.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sling looks like a good idea. I would like to stay around the 10 lbs. mark for convienance in the mountains. I have been looking into the Proof Research carbon fiber barrels. Do any of yall have experiance with Proof Research?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wouldn't be to hard to build a lightweight rifle.

Use one of the Titanium actions
Proof research barrel
Manners/McMillan hunter stock.
Then use a high end hunting scope.

Should be pretty light. Probably to light for my liking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That would also cost a little to much for me. Im not one of those guys looking to build the cheapest gun they can get away with. i want to keep the gun around $3000 optics and all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts