Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need a bit of advice.
The setup is: Howa 1500, 20 MOA Picatinny base, Vortex 0,87” mounts and Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope.
Zeroed @100m, consistent up to 500m (first shooting and below submoa groups on target), adjustments almost like Applied Ballistics calculates (0.1mil diff, for 500m up by 3.9mils).
Thing is, that with zero @100m, only 7.1mils are left up.
What I checked:
  • base is really 20MOA. I bought the rifle with plain base, then changed to 20MOA and there is even visual difference
  • base is mounted correctly, you actually can’t mount it in the wrong direction
  • mount rings are not too tight. I used the torque as per Vortex instructions (16 in/lbs = 1.8nm)
  • the scope operates within the range of 19 mils, it’s just that only 7 left up, 12 down.

This is not logical to me. Where did I go wrong?

·
Registered
888 Posts
You can always buy the scope rings with raised in the rear. It's simple as that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Depending on the tolerances during manufacturing it could cause this, you could swap your rings for a 20moa mount and get an additional approx 6mils.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
The setup is: Howa 1500, 20 MOA Picatinny base, Vortex 0,87” mounts and Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope.
Zeroed @100m, consistent up to 500m (first shooting and below submoa groups on target), adjustments almost like Applied Ballistics calculates (0.1mil diff, for 500m up by 3.9mils).
What I checked:
  • base is really 20MOA. I bought the rifle with plain base, then changed to 20MOA and there is even visual difference
  • mount rings are not too tight. I used the torque as per Vortex instructions (16 in/lbs = 1.8nm)
  • the scope operates within the range of 19 mils, it’s just that only 7 left up, 12 down.

This is not logical to me. Where did I go wrong? View attachment 29125
How much windage did you have to dial to get it zeroed? When you use half of the windage you only have 25% of your vertical left. In order to have the full elevation adjustment, the retinal must be in the center. If this is the case, get some Burris Signature Zee Rings. You can add shims and bring you scope in alignment with the bore. Then you'll have your elevation adjustment back.

e

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 20 moa rings on my 30-06 and I zeroed my scope at 300 yds. I have Tons of adjustment left with my vortex,think I have the same scope.
Maybe you got a set of mismatched rings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I checked:

This is not logical to me. Where did I go wrong? View attachment 29125
How did it work out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Case closed, the guilty one identified. It was the base that was not perfectly fitting the rear part of receiver and had to be bent (half milimeter) to be tightened.
Now base is bedded and +23 MOA was gained (7 mils).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts