Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will be buying a Leupold MkIV LR/T to put on my new SC3A5. I will be using this as a long range gun meaning hopefully out past 800yds and my goal is 1000yds.

My question, this scope is the scope comes in....

-3.5-10x40mm
-4.5-14x50mm
-6.5-20x50mm
-8.5-25x50mm

Which will best suit my needs? Basically, do I want as much power as I can get?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would go with the fixed 10x but thats just me. I thought you just bought a scope....a burris black diamond right?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Y does everyone seem to prefer the lower powers? Is there a method to ur madness?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Generally speaking... unless you have a .338 Lapua... .408 CheyTac... or a .50BMG (20mm "Rifles" are nearly non existant)... all you need is a 10X to get you to 1,000 to 1,200 yards. Next time your at the range... look at a rock or somthing that is 1,000 yards away through a 10X scope... you really dont need massive optics for relativly long range shooting. Some people try to balance there skill level by buying huge calibers and massive optics and $7,000 rifles... it just doesnt work. A good rifle... good optics at 10X... and a good shooter is all you need to make those 1,000 yard shots. You should be able to mount an old Weaver 10X on an old WW2 Springfield 1903A3 and shoot out to 1,000 yards with relative accuracy (1 MOA)... granted that the old barrel is not worn out or pitted.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense, and I would own a 10x, IF they were not MORE than the others! :(

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I say the 6.5-20x50. While you can shoot at 1000 yards with 10x, a higher power can help you ID a target at long ranges when looking in brush etc. An example is does that deer have horns? The 6.5 is a little high for 100 yard shots, but not to the extent that it is not useable. The 50 mm objective will give you more light transmission in a low light situation.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I like option #2 the 4.5-14, it is a good combo of low power for short range, and medium needed for longer range target ID as pointed out above.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
APK-223 said:
Y does everyone seem to prefer the lower powers? Is there a method to ur madness?
I told you this over YM, but I'll repeat it hear for everyone else to also hear it.

With higher magnifications you give up two things.

1) Light transmission in low light conditions
2) Field of view.

Both of these things are critical for sniping. For the range, they are not. If you will be shooting on the range at the 1000 yard line 100% of the time, high mag scopes are fine.

Of the scopes you listed, and your intended 1000 yard use, the 4.5-14 is my vote for the best compromise

MEL

·
Registered
253 Posts
i'll share my experience with you. i have fired at ranges up to 1100 yds with a 4.5x14-50 and it worked. i was firing at an iron maiden. it wasn't the easiest to see, but it worked well enough. looking back it would have been nice to have had that extra 6 power on the top end. and it is for that reason that i've chosen the 6.5x20-50 for the SC3A5 that i have ordered. i agree that 6.5x is low enough for close up work and that the higher 20x is good for identifying targets at longer ranges.

Brian

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another soon-to-be SC3A5 owner!! :D

Here is another question, will learning to engage long distance targets accurately be negatively affected by a larger power scope?

Basically, will I learn to shoot better w/ say a fixed pwr scope? ie 10, 14

I just seem to like having the extra magnification, for me, the lower setting is not that important. It will be bench gun and I want to be as accurate as possible, as far as possible.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you want to be as accurate as possible and it will be a bench gun get the 8.5x25x50 (can't hit what you can't see :wink: ). I have that and the 6.5x20x50 and I use the 6.5x20 more than the 8.5x25. I have hunted with the 6.5x20 scope quite a bit and have had no problem with it at all! "IF" it is just a BR gun look at the BR folks and what they use. They buy a $1k leupold and send it off to premire rectiules and spend another $1k to have the power bumped up to 30, 40 or 50 power. My smith does all of his rifle testing with a leupold fixed 30 (or 36???).

What everyone said is correct about the 10x and 3.5x10 scopes, but if you are only going to be killing 1/2" dots at 800 yds then a higher power scope is what you need.

The best all around scope is the 4.5x14x50 LR that they made a few years back, my next scope is going to be the 4.5x14x40 (from MEL). No matter what you get as long as it is a Leupy you are good to go!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I like option number 1 with their new FFP TMR. Like everyone ese is saying, it all boils down to end use.

John

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
Another soon-to-be SC3A5 owner!! :D

Here is another question, will learning to engage long distance targets accurately be negatively affected by a larger power scope?

Basically, will I learn to shoot better w/ say a fixed pwr scope? ie 10, 14

I just seem to like having the extra magnification, for me, the lower setting is not that important. It will be bench gun and I want to be as accurate as possible, as far as possible.
No higher magnification will NOT hinder your skills. In fact it may help them since with a hugher magnification you can see your breating and heartbeat better, thus learn just how much it affects your shot.

Since it is a bench gun only, the higher the power the better.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm not going to disagree with the low power opinions. Everyone has a personal opinion.

I can only say that with a fairly high power variable, like my 4-22x58 USO SN3, you can can zoom in for the close up and then if you back off for the wider angle - or because of the mirage - you have that option too. With the fixed or low power variable scopes you do not really have that option.

Having said that, you need to seriously consider what your particular use will be. if your building a range rat , then get a big, heavy, high power beast and have at it. If its a pure urban tactical rig you have no need for anything beyond a 10X scope. If its more of a mid to ling-range tactical rig then you have to weigh usefulness versus hauling weight. My USO SN3 is excellent glass and I would put its low light capabilities against any scope made. BUT, I would not want to haul it around for very long in the bush.

JeffVN

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not so much, I got it figured out, yes Spades, REALLY. :wink:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally decided to keep my BlackDiamond, then I found a deal on a Leupold I CANNOT pass. I love my BD, but this is a deal I will NEVER find again, so I have to take it. So, it is actually up bxn 2 scopes, either of the following:

1. MkIV 16x40 LR/T M1

2. MkIV 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1

> both w/ mil-dots

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
:?:

If you are talking about the fixed 16x power scope I would go with the 8.5x25, but lots of folks use them and they are fine scopes.

Just remember that once you put the 8.5x25 on the rifle it becomes a bench gun only. I have one and love it, but it is not something that I tote around, gun case to bench to gun case. If you can find one in 6.5x20x50LR you will be happy as well. Not a huge difference in the 5x between the two scopes and with 6.5 on the low end you can still get some short range use out of it. Again.....just my 02 :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts