Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been wanting to get a rifle for some time now. Now that I have a job im hoping it might be a month to get one. I want a Rem 700P but not sure what scope, rings, bi-pod, ect to go with. Ive been looking around on here and it seems like its going to add up fast. I was told 200-300 dollar scopes are pretty much crap. So what should I look at spend on a good glass? And I read that rings can cost 100 dollars, did I read that right? Dont really need a bi-pod but would be nice. Is there any thing else that I need that im leaving out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
What is the most money you can afford to spend on mounts and scope? Thats how much it will cost you. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Muzzleblast's answer is short but right on the money (pun intended).

I'm a newb myself, but i recommend saving and not buying until you have enough to buy the very best or almost the very best. Cause if you buy something mediocre, after you really get into, you will wish you had bought the very best and will have to spend even more in the long run.

and something that i keep reading in this forums is that you really get for what you pay in optics and rifles.

if you're curious this was my invoice when i bought my rifle:

REM 700 P $749.00
Leupold V-X 3 3.5-10x40mm LR M3 MilDot $790.00
Leupold Mark 4 one piece base $119.98
Leupold Mark 4 30mm rings $149.98
FDLE background check $5.00
tax $126.63
total $1940.59

getting sub 1 MOA groups on the range after dropping your rifle a couple of times = priceless

·
Registered
994 Posts
Keep in mind that you can find a lot of great equipment real cheap if you buy used (often it's only been shot a few times).

Second hand don't mean second place.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. About the Rem 700P "TWS" package. How nice is the Leupold Vari-X III (3.5 x 10) tactical scope with a Duplex reticle. And whats the range for that scope.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The leupold VX-III scopes are very good and that package will serve you very well.

Now, while it is desirable to buy the best you can, there are still some decent scopes that will serve you well while you learn, for not as much money.

Burris fullfields, bushnell 3200 10x, mueller tactical, SWFA's Super Sniper 10x, and a few others will get you shooting with very usable glass at about $300. (give or take). I've shot these scopes at 600-900 meters and they work fine. Would I take them over a leupold Mark 4? Heavens NO! But you can sure learn a lot with the $300 of ammo you bought with the savings... and then you can buy the upgrade later.

Just a few alternative thoughts....

MEL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have said it once, and I will keep saying it until someone listens.........

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:54 am by APK-223: I know the 700P is a favorite and everyone is addicted to them. But I would just like to offer you the thought of saving $. Don't knock the VS, by buddy has one and it can keep up w/ a 700P anyday of the week. Maybe if your looking to put that money somewhere where it might improv accuracy. It may not be worth the extra cash just for palm swells, an extra mounting lug, and .....oh yea...its black.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another handy tip is to look around in hawk shops between feb. and april, things are moving so slow around then as far as sales go, that they might be willing to give you a good deal on a nice rifle, just to get some sales. If you spend some time doing some serious research, and hunt around, you might just be able to get a great deal for less than you would think. I don't know what it's like where you live, but that's what seems to work best up here in Alaska.

The Wolf

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thats how it is here too actually...every fall when everyone is hunting and the tourists fix bayos and overrun my town, prices get hiked...then fall again...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts