Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Im doing is making some hanging gongs out of some scrap bar steel we have at work. I choose some 4" diameter steel just want to know how thick to make it so that my .308 won't turn it into instant swiss cheese. Some more info this will be hanging at 300 yards and I will be shooting 168gr FGMM and 175gr .308 at it. thanks for any help and yeah I tried searching but I suck with those things.

· Registered
4,996 Posts
At 300 yards, I would hope that a half inch would stop a .308, unless it was armor piercing. If you're worried about penetration, three quarters would certainly stop one.

Jeff

· Registered
849 Posts
I (used to) use a 3/4 inch thick steel bulkhead fitting. I blew through it after hitting it twice in the same spot with a .303 British. I welded it up and now only use my gong for shooting pistols and lever-guns no more powerful than .44 magnum.

That all said, it will be the alloy and final hardness that will determine how long any target will last. I never thought I'd tear up that bulkhead fitting so fast - but it's made from a soft grade of steel.

· Registered
4,648 Posts
Slick said:
That all said, it will be the alloy and final hardness that will determine how long any target will last.
Exactly. If you use the right hardness like the AR500 plate that is used for most targets comercially made you can use 3/8" and not worry about anything dinging it but use softer metal and make it an inch thick and you will have rounds passing right through it. I have an LV Shooter target that is 3/8" and shot it at 100 with my 300WM and not even a dent.

That said if it's scrap just make up a bunch of them and when you shoot one full of holes then hang up another one. I had a friend who had some 3/4" steel sheets about 11"x16" that i hung at 400 yards and after shooting it for a month or so with my .308 it put some holes in it and also bowed it and pushed the center back like it had been hammered. It was kind of cool actually. I just pulled it down and threw up another one.

· Registered
37 Posts
+1 on hardness. My 3/8" plate for .22lr plinking has seen a few hundred rounds without a scratch but one round from a .270 went clean through and a round from a 30/30 came close. Another 3/8" plate made from the trip edge for a snowplow has held up without a sratch from FMJ and softpoint .223s

· Registered
1,812 Posts
AR500 is great, but if you shoot it enough it will get brittle and fail. I put a hole in mine at 300y with a 308 the other day. Also cracked it in 2 places. :( I don't know how many rounds it's been hit with but its a bunch...
I've also heard of guys shooting groups on the AR500 with 223 and hitting the same spot over and over and eventually poking a hole in it...

· Registered
4,996 Posts
Steel of any sort will eventually fail. Repeated hammering of a malleable metal results in flattening or holes. Certainly better alloys will stand up longer, but they all eventually fail. You'd just have to weld it up or replace it.

Jeff

· Registered
44 Posts
jeffdorr said:
At 300 yards, I would hope that a half inch would stop a .308, unless it was armor piercing. If you're worried about penetration, three quarters would certainly stop one.

Jeff
It still depends lol. I shot 1/2" with 175 Grain BH ammo through my M40A3 and it did nothing but splat. My dad "errrrr" decided to shoot it with his hunting round from his .308, and it put a hole clean through it. And we were just about 300 out.

So you know it depends on the ammo too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.