Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22/25, 30/06, 270
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas, I'm new to reloading and I have a question. I have been reloading Hornady 22/250 50 grain Vmax bullets using the powders that are in the Hornady book. My friend has some Hodgdon Superformance powder and he was telling me he is going to work up a few rounds using this powder. This powder is not on the list of powders that in in the book. It scares the heck out of me and if it is not in the manual I won't try it. How do you go about working up a load that is not on the list of powders that are in the book? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are many reloading manuals available. Find a manual for similar if not identical bullet style/weight and you can broaden your horizons. Outside of manuals there are programs like QUICKLOAD that allow you to input various components and see what happens in terms of pressures. I find that very useful in times of stress on the market with limited options.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Fellas, I'm new to reloading and I have a question. I have been reloading Hornady 22/250 50 grain Vmax bullets using the powders that are in the Hornady book. My friend has some Hodgdon Superformance powder and he was telling me he is going to work up a few rounds using this powder. This powder is not on the list of powders that in in the book. It scares the heck out of me and if it is not in the manual I won't try it. How do you go about working up a load that is not on the list of powders that are in the book? Thanks guys.
I've worked up loads using powers that were not on the list by using the QuickLoad app as previously mentioned. The QL app really makes it pretty easy to determine if a particular powder might work or not as I look at key things like amount the case is filled and the calculated pressure for a given charge.

On Hodgdon's website, they've got pictures of 1lb and 8lb Superformance and on the front label it lists 22-250 caliber info like: Charege- 43.0 gf, Bullet- 60 gr Hdy. V-MAX, Case: Winchester, Primer: Win.LR, COL- 2.350, Velocity- 3738. So, it looks like it'll work just fine with your 50 gr. V-MAX bullets. Just be aware (and I hope your friend is too) that Winchester has more case volume than most other brans of brass, so 43.0 grs in other cases with less volume will produce much more pressure with other brass than with the listed Winchester brass shown on Hodgdon's label.

·
Registered
22/25, 30/06, 270
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've worked up loads using powers that were not on the list by using the QuickLoad app as previously mentioned. The QL app really makes it pretty easy to determine if a particular powder might work or not as I look at key things like amount the case is filled and the calculated pressure for a given charge.

On Hodgdon's website, they've got pictures of 1lb and 8lb Superformance and on the front label it lists 22-250 caliber info like: Charege- 43.0 gf, Bullet- 60 gr Hdy. V-MAX, Case: Winchester, Primer: Win.LR, COL- 2.350, Velocity- 3738. So, it looks like it'll work just fine with your 50 gr. V-MAX bullets. Just be aware (and I hope your friend is too) that Winchester has more case volume than most other brans of brass, so 43.0 grs in other cases with less volume will produce much more pressure with other brass than with the listed Winchester brass shown on Hodgdon's label.

Thank you Straightshooter, I think I will try the Quack load app. that sound like a lot of fun. I will still be conservative until I get used to using it though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hodgdon has a burn rate chart that lists the fastest to slowest powders. I would look at the powders noted in the reloading reference materials that you have and take a look at how far away the powder you wish to use is on the list and whether it is faster or slower. Then based on your finding do a pressure test to get your max load.

Here's the link

If you are new to reloading check out Primal Rights article on reloading Here's the link to that:

Identifying Pressure link:

Both are good articles that should help.

Regards,

Martino1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts