Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new toy for PRS match style shooting and I'm not new to reloading - at least i know enough that some rifles have specific needs, ie, my Remington 700 in 300 WM has a long throat and once i measured the OAL with the Hornady tool, i got my groups down to .38"... that took a few boxes of Bergers VLD's and Hornady ELD-M's to learn.

Fast forward a few years to now - I see some popular bullets in ELD-M, Berger Hybrids and Sierra Matchking has an interesting 142gr option for 6.5creed.

Have any of you loaded or have experience with the Howa 1500 in 6.5creedmoor with a 24" heavy barrel? Does this action/barrel tend to like a certain bullet or powder? how far off the lands should i start?

i plan on experimenting, but just looking for what bullet/powder combo to start with? i understand H4350 is popular, also looking at the Alliant Reloader 16 or even 17 as those also seem popular for 6.5

i like to work with one recipe and try to dial in a powder/oal/brass combination before i move on and try something new - so where should I start?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The is a great article on load development on the Primal rights website

https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/load-development

It is very detailed but I go back to this article and re read it when a load isn’t giving me bug holes. Getting all the quality toys to do it right isn’t cheap. Also loading for the ultimate in precision is not quick.. well at least not for me. Sorting bullets, cases double checking charge weights... all take time. That said, there’s a lot of satisfaction when you send it and it goes where you pointed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts