Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 7mm08 and as soon as I got it I bedded the hogue stock that came with it first time we went to the range it shot great Got it sighted in with 7 shots with groups just over 1/4in but range was 50yds so I was impressed to say the least go again today to verify and take it to the longer range and everything’s going well the first three rounds at 100 and under 1/2 inch so I was extremely impressed and then all hell broke lose next 5 round string was about 2 inches pretty shocked I let it cool even though the barrel was well under 100 degrees ( felt around 85 but I didn’t have my laser gun to check) go back to shoot it groups are around 4 inches so I decided to call it a day and figure out what’s going on I talked with the range masters who were shooting with me and after got I home put it in the vice and looked around I couldn’t see any cracks or splitting of any kind and am assuming that may just be a combo of how I bedded it and with it being not a high quality stock that when I mixed the resin that I mixed it too hot and it burned through too much material and I’ll need to order a new one so I did that already it will be here Saturday,But anything else you guys think I should check out while I’m at it???
Scope is a athlon 6-24x50
Ammo used: hornady factory precision hunter 150eldx
Twist is 1 in 9 1/2 I believe
New stock: Hs precision pro series hunter fiberglass stock

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Are the scope base and rings all torqued properly?

Are you 100% sure the scope didn’t give out? Can you try a different scope on it?

Are the action screws still torqued properly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the scope base and rings all torqued properly?

Are you 100% sure the scope didn’t give out? Can you try a different scope on it?

Are the action screws still torqued properly?
Yep it was the first thing I check it when I got home nothing was loose but just to make sure I ordered a new 20moa base today and I already have some vortex 30mm rings that I haven’t used yet

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you've checked all the screws on the base and the rings and you checked that the two screws holding the action are tight, and you verified the barrel is free floating, I'd swap out the scope for another and just shoot for groups on a big target. if you get good groups with the second scope.... you know where you're at. if not you eliminated the scope being the issue.

I have a Howa 30-06 that has the houge rubber stock and tends to have a wandering poi after about 10 rounds, fortunately that's my traveling hunter and I usually only have to take about 2-3 to confirm zero and 1 maybe 2 in order to drop game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've checked all the screws on the base and the rings and you checked that the two screws holding the action are tight, and you verified the barrel is free floating, I'd swap out the scope for another and just shoot for groups on a big target. if you get good groups with the second scope.... you know where you're at. if not you eliminated the scope being the issue.

I have a Howa 30-06 that has the houge rubber stock and tends to have a wandering poi after about 10 rounds, fortunately that's my traveling hunter and I usually only have to take about 2-3 to confirm zero and 1 maybe 2 in order to drop game.
Ok will do I’ve got a fixed 20x scope that i was saving for my 7mag project but I could swap them out today and check everything when I get the new stuff in as well thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some other things to check are,...Did you break in the barrel? By that I mean clean out all copper after 3 or 6 shots or whatever method you want to use and repeat until copper fouling is to a minimum? Also if you have a muzzle device installed inspect it for bullet impacts due to being loose or fitment issues.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Some other things to check are,...Did you break in the barrel? By that I mean clean out all copper after 3 or 6 shots or whatever method you want to use and repeat until copper fouling is to a minimum? Also if you have a muzzle device installed inspect it for bullet impacts due to being loose or fitment issues.
x2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we broke it in before we got the scope just ran some ghetto ammo to break it in and then we cleaned After we cleaned it till we got clear patches
Technique used
After every shot x10
After every 5shots x4
After 10 x1
40 round break in works awesome for me my new stock came in we bedded it last night just waiting for a warmer day to go shoot to get consistent atmospheric conditions and not be shaking while I’m shooting
And no muzzle device yet waiting for my form 1 to come back from the government goons

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
interested to see how the new stock will work out for you. What is the weight of your trigger pull on this shooter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts