Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 7mm08 and as soon as I got it I bedded the hogue stock that came with it first time we went to the range it shot great Got it sighted in with 7 shots with groups just over 1/4in but range was 50yds so I was impressed to say the least go again today to verify and take it to the longer range and everything’s going well the first three rounds at 100 and under 1/2 inch so I was extremely impressed and then all hell broke lose next 5 round string was about 2 inches pretty shocked I let it cool even though the barrel was well under 100 degrees ( felt around 85 but I didn’t have my laser gun to check) go back to shoot it groups are around 4 inches so I decided to call it a day and figure out what’s going on I talked with the range masters who were shooting with me and after got I home put it in the vice and looked around I couldn’t see any cracks or splitting of any kind and am assuming that may just be a combo of how I bedded it and with it being not a high quality stock that when I mixed the resin that I mixed it too hot and it burned through too much material and I’ll need to order a new one so I did that already it will be here Saturday,But anything else you guys think I should check out while I’m at it???
Scope is a athlon 6-24x50
Ammo used: hornady factory precision hunter 150eldx
Twist is 1 in 9 1/2 I believe
New stock: Hs precision pro series hunter fiberglass stock

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Are the scope base and rings all torqued properly?

Are you 100% sure the scope didn’t give out? Can you try a different scope on it?

Are the action screws still torqued properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the scope base and rings all torqued properly?

Are you 100% sure the scope didn’t give out? Can you try a different scope on it?

Are the action screws still torqued properly?
Yep it was the first thing I check it when I got home nothing was loose but just to make sure I ordered a new 20moa base today and I already have some vortex 30mm rings that I haven’t used yet

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you've checked all the screws on the base and the rings and you checked that the two screws holding the action are tight, and you verified the barrel is free floating, I'd swap out the scope for another and just shoot for groups on a big target. if you get good groups with the second scope.... you know where you're at. if not you eliminated the scope being the issue.

I have a Howa 30-06 that has the houge rubber stock and tends to have a wandering poi after about 10 rounds, fortunately that's my traveling hunter and I usually only have to take about 2-3 to confirm zero and 1 maybe 2 in order to drop game.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've checked all the screws on the base and the rings and you checked that the two screws holding the action are tight, and you verified the barrel is free floating, I'd swap out the scope for another and just shoot for groups on a big target. if you get good groups with the second scope.... you know where you're at. if not you eliminated the scope being the issue.

I have a Howa 30-06 that has the houge rubber stock and tends to have a wandering poi after about 10 rounds, fortunately that's my traveling hunter and I usually only have to take about 2-3 to confirm zero and 1 maybe 2 in order to drop game.
Ok will do I’ve got a fixed 20x scope that i was saving for my 7mag project but I could swap them out today and check everything when I get the new stuff in as well thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some other things to check are,...Did you break in the barrel? By that I mean clean out all copper after 3 or 6 shots or whatever method you want to use and repeat until copper fouling is to a minimum? Also if you have a muzzle device installed inspect it for bullet impacts due to being loose or fitment issues.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Some other things to check are,...Did you break in the barrel? By that I mean clean out all copper after 3 or 6 shots or whatever method you want to use and repeat until copper fouling is to a minimum? Also if you have a muzzle device installed inspect it for bullet impacts due to being loose or fitment issues.
x2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we broke it in before we got the scope just ran some ghetto ammo to break it in and then we cleaned After we cleaned it till we got clear patches
Technique used
After every shot x10
After every 5shots x4
After 10 x1
40 round break in works awesome for me my new stock came in we bedded it last night just waiting for a warmer day to go shoot to get consistent atmospheric conditions and not be shaking while I’m shooting
And no muzzle device yet waiting for my form 1 to come back from the government goons

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
interested to see how the new stock will work out for you. What is the weight of your trigger pull on this shooter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interested to see how the new stock will work out for you. What is the weight of your trigger pull on this shooter?
Haven’t measured it yet I like the trigger it feels great for what I plan on using it for so I haven’t felt the need to change it yet probably will later on though

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I noticed that when I lowered the weight on the trigger my groups got smaller also dry fire practice keeping the cross hairs steady on the target during the trigger pull has helped a lot as a cost effective way to hone/maintain my shooting skills. I do the same thing with my handguns. These days with ammo and component prices were they are, I dry fire 10 for every one I send. I don't see things getting better anytime soon, so I'm conserving by supply.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I noticed that when I lowered the weight on the trigger my groups got smaller. . .
DITO

When I set my triggers to under a pound my groups got small AND more consistent.

Also, got rid of the majority of flyers I was having when I installed MPA vertical grips, which helped me be more consistent with the trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
DITO

When I set my triggers to under a pound my groups got small AND more consistent.

Also, got rid of the majority of flyers I was having when I installed MPA vertical grips, which helped me be more consistent with the trigger pull.
I noticed the same thing with the MPA vertical grip. The index finger support at least for right hand shooters keeps your index finger going straight back. I haven’t seen this on any other rifle grip. Pretty slick. Mine’s got a 6.5CM with a bartlien stock and a Calvin Elite trigger set just under 1 lb. It’s a shooter.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the MPA vertical grip. The index finger support at least for right hand shooters keeps your index finger going straight back. I haven’t seen this on any other rifle grip. Pretty slick. Mine’s got a 6.5CM with a bartlien stock and a Calvin Elite trigger set just under 1 lb. It’s a shooter.
Yeah, that finger support is what I like most about the grip and with my RPR and the light trigger pull, there's not a lot of room for movement. It took a little getting used to at first (especially since it's somewhat "thick"/large grip) and now it works great for me.

I used the factory trigger for a long time and it did well, but Timney gave me a deal I couldn't resist, so I installed that and set it to ~12 oz like I had on may factory trigger. I've got a .308 Krieger barrel that has 4500 rounds fired and it's still giving me excellent results (see pic of my warm up rounds from the weekend before last). Got a Vortex Golden Eagle for Christmas and will have to see how that does.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah, that finger support is what I like most about the grip and with my RPR and the light trigger pull, there's not a lot of room for movement. It took a little getting used to at first (especially since it's somewhat "thick"/large grip) and now it works great for me.

I used the factory trigger for a long time and it did well, but Timney gave me a deal I couldn't resist, so I installed that and set it to ~12 oz like I had on may factory trigger. I've got a .308 Krieger barrel that has 4500 rounds fired and it's still giving me excellent results (see pic of my warm up rounds from the weekend before last). Got a Vortex Golden Eagle for Christmas and will have to see how that does.

View attachment 29023

View attachment 29024
I buddy of mine got a golden eagle scope for his 338LM. Only took a few shots at 100. With that limited time I found I didn’t like the reticle, but that’s a personal preference. The low end magnification is a bit high for anything close..

·
Registered
579 Posts
I buddy of mine got a golden eagle scope for his 338LM. Only took a few shots at 100. With that limited time I found I didn’t like the reticle, but that’s a personal preference. The low end magnification is a bit high for anything close..
Yup . . . It's not a scope intended for shooting as close range, or for multiple distances, for that matter. It wouldn't be a good choice for hunting, for sure.

I've got a Weaver T-36 mounted on my rimfire that I've used for some time now and like for shooting at distance. So it shouldn't be much of an adjustment for me in using this GE with the SCR-1 reticle. The only thing that's a real negative is that the maximum elevation adjustment for the GE is only 55 MOA, though that shouldn't be a problem with use of my Burris XTR Signature Rings.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I was thinking about putting together a 375 Edge and the GE would have been my choice for glass were it not for the reticle. I’m a Vortex fan.. What can I say.. After some pondering, I decided that a two mile weapon didn’t make sense when 1k ranges were so few and far from my area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on the howa it’s working now after doing some research and further testing it’s not the scope scope is fine I switched it over to my tried and trued 7mm mag and groups (which was petaling at 300 yds everytime) are the same so that’s out of the way moved on to monitoring the barrel temp and come to find out after 3 trips out we have found the culprit barrel was getting too hot on the third trip I waited half an hour after each test of 3 rounds and was able to get consistent accuracy while applying this technique, working on a load right now with some n150 and 150gr eldx, starting to also consider doing a 7mm creedmoor build any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I bought a 7mm08 and as soon as I got it I bedded the hogue stock that came with it first time we went to the range it shot great Got it sighted in with 7 shots with groups just over 1/4in but range was 50yds so I was impressed to say the least go again today to verify and take it to the longer range and everything’s going well the first three rounds at 100 and under 1/2 inch so I was extremely impressed and then all hell broke lose next 5 round string was about 2 inches pretty shocked I let it cool even though the barrel was well under 100 degrees ( felt around 85 but I didn’t have my laser gun to check) go back to shoot it groups are around 4 inches so I decided to call it a day and figure out what’s going on I talked with the range masters who were shooting with me and after got I home put it in the vice and looked around I couldn’t see any cracks or splitting of any kind and am assuming that may just be a combo of how I bedded it and with it being not a high quality stock that when I mixed the resin that I mixed it too hot and it burned through too much material and I’ll need to order a new one so I did that already it will be here Saturday,But anything else you guys think I should check out while I’m at it???
I couldn't pass up a deal from Brownell's on a Howa 1500 barreled action in .308 with a heavy barrel.
I couldn't turn down a deal from Brownell's on a Howa 1500 .308 heavy barreled action. The (at the time) new Boyd's AT1 stock had caught my eye, so I ordered one in my college colors. After bedding, pillaring, and setting the trigger as low as the stock trigger would go (about 2#), I looked for a scope. My local gun shop had just taken on the HAWKE scope line and gave me a good deal on a 4-20X50 mil model. I set the scope up with some new 30mm rings and a 0 moa base. My first day at the range was amazing. I had some 175 SMKs/44.3gn Varget that I had loaded for another rifle, so I used them as a start. The results were great. After 3 fouling shots to zero at 100 yds, I shot a .331 group . Avg 2880 f/s, sd 14. That was the first day, and it has performed similarly since that day. I can't say enough good things about the Howa 1500. The only change that I have made since the original setup is adding a wide fore end on the stock. I frequently see Howa 1500 barreled actions on sale from Brownell. Combining these actions with inexpensive stocks can be an enjoyable combination. Just an observation. Maybe the heavy barrel was the trick in this case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts