Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since Ive been on here so thought Id post up a rifle Ive been working with. I was finally able to get all my pieces together to be able to upgrade my Howa Heavy Barrel in 6.5CM. I went with a B&C Medalist stock and Alan from A&A hooked me up with the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 scope. So far loving this package, I really like how controllable the stock made the rifle feel. when shooting it the rifle stays right in line with how your shooting. It doesn't bounce all over the place due to recoil like it did when the factory stock was on it. The Glass has made shooting it a breeze, being able to spot shots is not a problem now and having very positive clicks to be able to place shots were needed and be able to return to were you started. Only thing I don't like really is the trigger, I wish it was a bit lighter. I think that may be were my problem is coming from I'm use to shooting a trigger set at a bit < 1lb and this one is around 3 Id say. So I just need to get a bit more trigger time with it. The best part is being able to still use the Legacy Sports DBM kit in the B&C stock, a huge bonus for a guy on a budget. Overall I'm super stoked at this rifle and from you can see by the bottom pic you can tell why. That kind of performance out of a factory rifle using a factory loaded ammo is right were I wanted it to be. Here is the review Video and a few pics for your viewing pleasure

I shot this 5 shot group at 275yrds off a bipod using factory Hornady 140gr ELD Match, so I know the accuracy is there just need a bit more time behind that trigger.

Reactions: Lawrence Howa 6.5CM

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had my eye on getting a rifle in 6.5CMand had no idea Howa was making one chambered in that round. Until In went to my local shop and he actually had this in stock, so of course I had to pick it up..

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The Howa Hact trigger can be set down to about 2.5 lbs as it comes from the factory.
I changed 1 spring out and no other modification and now have an excellent 1lb 3oz trigger.
This Howa is in my .223 and in my .308 Howa I have a Timney; of the 2, I prefer the Howa 2 stage's overall feel and "pull" weight.
The steps are here in this thread:
http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/r...gger-hact-trigger-job-specs-instructions.html

Definitely worth doing.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
But I want one in .243win

Brownells has barreled actions unfortunately I think the 243 version has a slow twist rate for shooting longer projectiles. I think it's 1:10 and I dont that's fast enough. But I can't really remember.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brownells has barreled actions unfortunately I think the 243 version has a slow twist rate for shooting longer projectiles. I think it's 1:10 and I dont that's fast enough. But I can't really remember.
I'll have to look. Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I believe Rhyno is correct on that twist rate from the one brownells sells. All the Howa's Ive seen come with a 1:10 twist. Wouldn't be much good for any of the more heavier weight stuff.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard S2 versions in .243 are all 1:10 twist and do not do well at all above 85 to 90 grain bullets. Same action and barrel.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea their more geared to varmint shooters vs. precision shooters.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Been a while since Ive been on here so thought Id post up a rifle Ive been working with. I was finally able to get all my pieces together to be able to upgrade my Howa Heavy Barrel in 6.5CM. I went with a B&C Medalist stock and Alan from A&A hooked me up with the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 scope. So far loving this package, I really like how controllable the stock made the rifle feel. when shooting it the rifle stays right in line with how your shooting. It doesn't bounce all over the place due to recoil like it did when the factory stock was on it. The Glass has made shooting it a breeze, being able to spot shots is not a problem now and having very positive clicks to be able to place shots were needed and be able to return to were you started. Only thing I don't like really is the trigger, I wish it was a bit lighter. I think that may be were my problem is coming from I'm use to shooting a trigger set at a bit < 1lb and this one is around 3 Id say. So I just need to get a bit more trigger time with it. The best part is being able to still use the Legacy Sports DBM kit in the B&C stock, a huge bonus for a guy on a budget. Overall I'm super stoked at this rifle and from you can see by the bottom pic you can tell why. That kind of performance out of a factory rifle using a factory loaded ammo is right were I wanted it to be. Here is the review Video and a few pics for your viewing pleasure

I shot this 5 shot group at 275yrds off a bipod using factory Hornady 140gr ELD Match, so I know the accuracy is there just need a bit more time behind that trigger.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hi I'm probably coming in on this post a bit late but I've only just joined the site and I'm learning to find my way around but I intend buying a combo consisting of a Howa APC chassis in 6.5 CM with a 26" barrel shown below with a Sig Sauer Tango 4 6 - 24 x 50 scope, Nikko MKll Match Mounts, Aimsport Triton 42/42S moderator front & rear, bipod, bases & hard case for $3264 US, I'm a bit lost as to what "bases" are but currently in £ sterling this represents a good deal and I'm wondering what the opinions of more experienced shooters are and can you give me some advice.
View attachment 29086

1 - 12 of 12 Posts