Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just curious, how does the licensing and registration of firearms infringe on "your right to bare arms"?
You can still have them cant you they just want paperwork for them. Good thing you guys don't live in Canada. Its like jumping through hoops to get firearms here.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
timoram said:
Just curious, how does the licensing and registration of firearms infringe on "your right to bare arms"?
It doesn't necessarily, but It's a step in the wrong direction down a steep slope covered in grease.

And no offense, but It's thinking like that which has put our friends to the north in their current predicament.

Rigger

·
Registered
9 Posts
timoram said:
You can still have them cant you they just want paperwork for them. Good thing you guys don't live in Canada. Its like jumping through hoops to get firearms here.
"Registration is the first step towards confiscation" :!: :!: :evil:

(If anyone can remember me who said that, I'd appreciate it)

I hate that you have so many hoops to jump through in Canada... but please don't think we want any more hoops down here... As most gun related crime is perpetrated by non-lawful shooters, new laws and strict regulations only curtail the rights of law abiding citizens (ala: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns)

later,
Mykel Obvious

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
timoram said:
Just curious, by what authority does the federal government have the power to license and register private property, especially that which is protected by our constitutional law? Further, what is it called when one is prevented from keeping and bearing arms if they don't abide by government-mandated licensing and registration?

A ban.

"...shall not be infringed."

Next time, please read the original post; I can tell you haven't, or you'd know why this particular legislation is as important as any "assault weapon ban" that's been proposed.

-B

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow, well that was a rapidfire series of emails. Lucky for me Montana only has one Congressman, NOT!! At least it only took me 15 minutes to email all 3 of my national legislators...

I hope this piece of garbage gets shot down quickly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
timoram said:
Well, to be direct, it doesn't. What it DOES is, especially in cases like this where broad and unspecified powers are given to an A.G., or anybody else, all of a sudden you have a totally illegal, at-whim method of denying the permits necessary to own these weapons. This creates a situation of potential double jeopardy for those of us who already own guns such as therein specified, and/or prevents law-abiding citizens from being able to obtain them should they want to for ANY reason (just one of the great thing about being Americans, we got that one written into our constitution, eh). Means unless we're criminals or insane, we're supposed to have (again, just as simple, everyday Americans) the right to own guns of whatever description, size, caliber, configuration, magazine capacity, rate of fire or by any other measure, we want. And as many of them as our little hearts desire.

There is (at least not that I read, somebody correct me if my eyes skipped it over) no shall-issue clause associated with this. Next, it imposes Federal control over the property of individuals (a constitutional no-no), it attempts to usurp states' rights to engage in intrastate commerce (ditto), and if I were a legal scholar or lawyer I could find you a dozen more problems with it, other than that it reads like Nazi lex draconus... Tell me you think THOSE winners had the best interests of their citizenry in mind. Anybody wonder why I want to become a cop? Not JUST to protect and serve the public...

·
Registered
564 Posts
There is this bill (HR 2666) and several others, one being S.1331 (which attempts to ban 50 cals at the federal level).

I broke it down and responded to each section/item in the measure, then emailed that breakdown opposition to my senators, and my represenative (though he's most likely going to be governor in a few months, so i'll have to resubmit it).

http://web.missouri.edu/~mccalls/politics/hr2666.htm if you are interested in what i sent.

I did sum it up by saying get rid of the whole thing, especially based on article 401 i think, which allows the attorney general to change the wording, or suspend the license or sale, of ANY firearm, not just qualifying firearms, at his discretion, if its the best way to minimize deaths or injury to people. It's pretty sick stuff, but a decent read if you have a chance.

I itemized just some basic stuff wrong with each point argued, whether its interpretation, ambiguity/vagueness, double speak, etc...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well did my part on emailing my elected "leaders", but being from Cali somehow i think my emails will fall on deaf ears (Feinstein/Boxer)... :roll:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think we all know this has nothing to do with protection and keeping things in order but with total control of population. I come from the country (slovenia) where gun control is very strict (only three valid reasons for being able to legaly purchase weapon - security (u need to prove to the police your life is endangered as in being attacked and hurt - i.e. really really rare), hunting (be a member of local hunting party have exams etc...) or sports (have to be active member of state registered society or alliance) and then you can purchase legally weapon which is registered at police. All the paperwork costs about 500$ and takes 2-3 months (hunting approx 6-12 months) to go through.

Facts: Most of the crimes with fatality or serious body harm is committed with knifes, axes or other home appliances :), if crime is committed with firearms then they are in vast amount of cases illegal (i think arround 80%) and in small minority of the cases with legal firearms (most of it love crimes in "shock" dunno american term i think 3rd degree or smth like that).
Facts: Everyone knows that, media and police and government choose to ignore those facts

Sarcasm:
Logical conclusion : We should register all the knives and all the axes and all items which are used in murders and attacks, we have the statistics on it so it's just a matter of stamping serial on all those items and making people register those. /Sarcasm

Bottom line: We are all being transformed into mindless consumer sheeps and strong individuals with morals and means to assert their right if need be are dangerous to todays worlds leaders may those be in USA or any other country.

I think you are screwed in the long run and gun control in USA is imminent (don't know how you keep records of sold guns but i sure hope dealers are not required to keep them for longer periods of time so you can keep guns in your basement ready to serve...).

·
Registered
564 Posts
So Obama has unofficially appointed Eric Holder as Attorney general...

http://www.usdoj.gov/archive/dag/speech ... ssconf.htm

Holder is a staunch gun control advocate and Brady bill proponent.

Also consider, that if HR2666 goes through (notice its been stalled in committee for over a year, most likely holding it until a favorable house, senate and president could usher it through) it could be very bad, considering article 402 of HR2666:
(a) In General- The Attorney General shall issue regulations governing the licensing of possessors of qualifying firearms and the recorded sale of qualifying firearms, consistent with this Act and the amendments made by this Act, as the Attorney General determines to be reasonably necessary to reduce or prevent deaths or injuries resulting from qualifying firearms, and to assist law enforcement in the apprehension of owners or users of qualifying firearms used in criminal activity.

(b) Maximum Interval Between Issuance of Proposed and Final Regulation- Not later than 120 days after the date on which the Attorney General issues a proposed regulation under subsection (a) with respect to a matter, the Attorney General shall issue a final regulation with respect to the matter.
We DO NOT want an anti-gun attorney general "amending" this act and issuing new regulations (authorized by this bill) using his judgement as to what is "reasonably necessary" to reduce or prevent deaths...

There is no check and balance here. The AG issues the proposed regulation, and 120 days later, issues the final regulation... no house, no senate, no state vote, no president... it leaves the supreme court as our last hope, and the DC gun ban was only overturned by a vote of 5-4... one more anti-gun advocate on the bench and you can kiss the 2nd amendment goodbye...

Congratulations America...

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
It's starting to look like a game of Chess, the dems are moving all their pieces into place.

On a side note, Congress seems to be giving away all the power we give them. If their not going to do their job, and instead give it away, illegally I might add, maybe they should all be fired.

Rigger

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Isn't a bill dead if it's not passed by the congress in which it was introduced? We have a new congress every two years and if I'm not mistaken (and it's quite possible that I am) if a bill doesn't pass in the current congress it will have to be reintroduced in the next congress.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
oneeyedmac said:
Isn't a bill dead if it's not passed by the congress in which it was introduced? We have a new congress every two years and if I'm not mistaken (and it's quite possible that I am) if a bill doesn't pass in the current congress it will have to be reintroduced in the next congress.
Yeah, but that's just a matter of changing the cover page. With over 90% of incumbents retaining their seats every election, bills never really die, they just get re-numbered and a bit of extra pork thrown in to buy new votes.

Rigger

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah right

Federally traced ammo? So what if 80 million firearm owners just swaped ammo, or gave it away and reported it stolen? It would make that whole tracing system obsolete overnight, and backlog their whole system to the point where it would take a really long time to even begin to figure it out.
gun owners 1
liberals 0

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whatever you people do DO NOT get complaicent with in your opposition to any form of registration of your firearms.You in the states with your clear access to your representatives have a way to protect your 2nd amendment.We had a Liberal government inflict registration under the same guise as your now Liberal government is intent on installing, which will undoutedly end up in confiscation as it did in Autralia and England supposedly to make the masses safer--straight horse pucks.Confiscation solved nothing other than to impress the uninformed.To boot with all of the registration stuff ,the US State Dept is reaching beyond the US borders (we here have it on good authority)is proceeding to cut off all export permits to Canada(only) for certain calibers of ammunition namely 50 BMG,7.62x39 Soviet,7.62 x 51 Nato,308 Win,5.56mm Nato and 223 Rem as well there may be a blanket export ban on certain types of firearms (probably black) and a DSP-83 end use cert attached to all other types along with a $250 export fee.This would mean that I won't be able to buy a US made rifle in one of the banned calibers or US made .223 or 308 ammo for the guns I now own.It is expected that loading components for the mentioned calibers will be soon to follow as banned.So Obama the savior has a huge stick that respects no boundaries and he has a huge Liberal support to swing that stick,so be prepared to defend your constutional rights,don't let down your guard for a second-- we up here are being ground down-- whatever happens south of us will set a precident that will make or break OUR battle for free unregistered firearms ownership.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts