Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i took yalls advice and stepped up my shooting. i was cutting playing cards in half with my 22 at 65yrds and i thaught that was good. till it got easy so i took it to 150 yards and painted the edges with white out and im still cuttin em. it think its decent. well i figure if i get use to hitting small targets and short ranges in contrast when i start taking 1000 yrd shots with my 308 and my 270 it wont be as hard. kewl huh.

comments on my shooting?
write something back!

tricky

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
tricky86 said:
i was cutting playing cards in half with my 22 at 65yrds and i thaught that was good. till it got easy so i took it to 150 yards and painted the edges with white out and im still cuttin em.

tricky
What type of 22 is it? One of those $1,900 Aunchuts (spelling? lol) ?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
tricky86 said:
i was cutting playing cards in half with my 22 at 65yrds and i thaught that was good. till it got easy so i took it to 150 yards and painted the edges with white out and im still cuttin em.

tricky
What type of 22 is it? One of those $1,900 Aunchuts (spelling? lol) ?
Yea B.C. .......thats what I want to know.

Cause it sure ant no ruger 10/22 at 150 yds doing something like that.

I think we need to see some video on this one........................ :?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Well, at first I was thinking he meant with it facing him, like.

Then again, I might still be a believer...How many shots does it take you at 150 yards (450 feet) to split a card, shooting at its edge with a 22lr, tricky? Just on average

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cards were like this "I". i know its hard to believe. but i put a black piece of metal behind it and paint the edge with white out. my 22lr is the really old winchester. it dont even have apatten #on it. my g-pa gave it to me when i was young. not nuch is done to it and it has unertyl 24x scope. like benchrest shooters use. and it really only takes about 5 shots. "believe it or not"

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
now ive lit matches at 50 yards before... 150 yards sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Its funny on here how people have trouble measuring range. 100 yards turns into 400.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
5 shots at 150 yds...........you need to shoot that thing in MELs postal matches

um...........yea...............still need some video on this one, untill I see it I am calling BS on this one...........sorry dude just too hard to believe out of an old old rilfe. Now maybe out of some exotic hand made rifle maybe, but not an old winchester................no way baby :lol: :lol: :lol:

got a photo of the card (that is a start)?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the range was measured by a laser range finder. bounced off the metal background behind the card. now the only thing i can think of is were shooting over water. does the water mess up the range finder. it actually looks like 75 to 80 yards but the range finder says 150. promise. ill try to scan the cards and post a pic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the range was measured by a laser range finder. bounced off the metal background behind the card. now the only thing i can think of is were shooting over water. does the water mess up the range finder. it actually looks like 75 to 80 yards but the range finder says 150. promise. ill try to scan the cards and post a pic.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Nope, water hant got a thing to do with it. It is accualy a infared (sp?) beam that is shot out and the rangefinder only measures the time it takes for it to return to the unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Only thing I can think of is if the target is too small you are not hitting it, it is reflecting off of something behind it.

SO........if 150yds = 75 yds then 65yds = 32.5 yds (do you follow me??). IF it is 32.5 yds I can believe it happened.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got to admit it makes sence. but i played football and ive hunted i kinda know about how far 35 yards is and it wasnt 35 yards. maybe 75 i believe the bouncing of the other thing might be true. it was a walmart special. tasco brand. or night owl. so it maybe wrong but 75 yards seem right 35 i know is wrong. but for real it said 150 on it. i know. but if it bounced of something else then ill admit being worng. but i did cut em.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
now we can correct this distance for curvature of the earth and refraction of light and move it closer by..............oh..............0.001 of a foot or so :roll:

lets see some pics man, not picking on ya at all, I just know that is a very very tough shot :D (Glad to see you taking it in stride)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tricky,
Learn your pace count then go step it off. If the water is too deep, do it again not over water. I have a remington classic 22 that I can get .5 moa groups at 100 with but after that it opens way up. I would have to see the cards myself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i stepped it off and it was 78 yards. sorry for the misleading or confustion. but i ranged it again and 148.3yrds so my ranger finder is fucked i guess. and its new im taking it back in about 30 mins. but i still cut it at 78. damn impressive i think! im only 18 and have only been shooting for a year. ( with scopes and stuff).

sorry,
tricky

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tricky,
Just to let you know, no one is saying that it is impossible, just improbable to do that with a 22 that far. If you can do that at 78 then get some green tags or other match ammo and give it a go again. Remember, that before the 300 whisper and the other newer sub-sonic rounds, the 22 was widely used in sniping (assassination) out to 200 meters. I have killed varmints that far myself, but I have a match 22 and match ammo. Keep it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts