Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellas.......................I went off and ordered a 50 BMG. (I guess all of my other little projects are on hold for a while.) This is only the upper, BUT it is a very nice boltaction upper made by ALS. http://www.50bmg.net/001.html These uppers have won many of the FCSA matches with no modifications. The bad new is the 4-5 month wait time to get it. (This is why I was asking about scopes for 1000yds the other day :wink: ) The builder said that he guaranted it would shoot less than 1moa but to expect something like 1/2 moa. He said that his personal best at 1000yds is around 4 inches with the same rifle. I also chose to get the upgraded trigger too.

ASSEMBLED WEIGHT - 35 POUNDS
OAL CONVERSION ONLY - 50 INCHES
OAL ASSEMBLED CONVERSION - 59 INCHES
SCOPE BASE - 30 MINUTE OF ANGLE DECLINATION
METAL MATRIX COATING - FLAT CHARCOAL BLACK COLOR
BARREL - 33 INCH MATCH GRADE PAC-NOR 1 IN 15 TWIST
BOLT - 2 LOCKING LUG 1 1/4 INCH ROUND MCMILLEN STYLE AUS TEMPERED
RECEIVER - MACHINED FROM SOLID STEEL WITH ZERO CLEARANCE FITTING TO LOWER
MATERIALS - RECEIVER, BARREL, AND MUZZLE BRAKE : 4140 CHROME MOLYBDENUM STE

Who is it on here that has a 50? I know someone does, I saw a pic of it a while back. I have some ammo questions for you.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOPS, I just noticed that the pic is constantly changing. The one I am getting is the solid black one without the flutted bbl. Putting it on a spair DPMS lower I have.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
well damn man, and i thought you were going to be building an AR. Mabye you can help a poor kid out and lemme get some trigger time on it? Looks great and I hope i shoots just as well.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Way to go Caver that rocks!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spade said:
well damn man, and i thought you were going to be building an AR
WELL...............the barrel (superlite 16") is still on order from BM (but its paid for), I have the LPK, upper, lower, stock and bolt group, just waiting on BM. It does not take but about 1 hour to put one together. The suppressor is going to go on it or a 20" that I already have (you saw the pics of it). The 308 build project that I have been working on for about a year plus (that is sad) is on hold again.

This will complete my collection - 50bmg..................I think I now have all of my bases covered.............. :lol:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
very much so man. You never did answer about letting me get some trigger time though..lol I'll pay for ammo!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to stay away from the old computer on Sundays if at all possable.

Sure you can have some trigger time! I am looking for some good plinking ammo right now. Looks like the only way to shoot cheap is to reload. Looking at the Lee Cast Classic 50BMG kit for $149...........

$0.30 for bullets, $0.30 for brass & whatever for powder.............much better than $1.50 to $2.00 a round (and thats the cheap stuff!).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can get military surplus for about $1.50 a round.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Here check this out... its about $1.25 a round for the TACLON 690 Grain FMJ ammo. Its $169.95 for 150 rounds... new manufactured ammo. The cheap match grade ammo is $319.95 for 100 rounds. The US Military Silver tip 691 grain match ammo is $10 a round. Theres a bunch of different ammo to choose from.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelis ... .htm#50bmg

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I wouldnt call it crappy ammo... i would call it cheap ammo. It works fine for plinking. I use it in a couple of my rifles all the time.

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

I opted for the "Ultralite 50BMG" upper in 24" barrel. It took 6 weeks for Marcus to make the upper and I just got my UPS tracking number this morning. Should have it in a couple of days!

pic from site:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey Caver nice rifle... but im curious... so i have a few questions for you if you dont mind.

1: Why such a short barrel for a .50BMG?
2: What make / model lower reciever will you be using? Does it come with the upper as a whole rifle?
3: Does the manufacturer give any kind of MOA garentee?

I ask because i have a .50BMG upper for an AR-15 lower and it bent the lower reciever take down pins and the part of the reciever in which the take down pins rest in. I have since sold the AR-15 .50BMG upper and also my EDM M-96 (which i bought used for a real good price)... the EDM M-96 kicked way to much... it was not fun to shoot... so whats the point. Same thing with the AR-15 .50BMG... it kicked so much i never took it seriously... i just put cheap surplus ammo through it for fun... plinking and testing my friends hand loads in... things like that.

Let us know how she shoots...

BC

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
looks like an awsome gun caver--hope it shoots welll. now you just need to get me one :wink:

~dom~

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forgot to add:

Will be using a existing standard DPMS lower. I have a Cali single shot DPMS (like in the photo) lower on the way from RBP. Also putting a ACE stock on it so it should look like the photo once complete.

BC- There is (should not be) any stress on the pins at all! Sounds like you had some fitting problems to your lower(just a WAG)??? All force should be transfered to the stock as there is no slack between the upper and lower. What brand upper did you have?

24" bbl was for portability, and weight. Total mass with lower and ACE stock should hit around 14.7LB :shock: Then add the Leupold VXIII 6.5x20x50 LR and some GOOD rings. OAL = 49.5".............did I say that it is portable :wink:

This rifle comes with a mil.spec. chamber NOT match. Upper does not come with a MOA guaranty due to the wide range of ammo out that can be used. Most folks are getting around an inch with new production remanufactured Tallon M33. With hand loads I am sure we could get well under a inch. This is not a BR gun by no means.

Only get the upper from Marcus (not a FFL yet), it also comes with a new hammer. Only problem with this rifle is you have to remove the bolt stop/catch from the lower. This is not an issue for me as I am using a dedicated lower, but for someone who wants to change from rifle to rifle this is not the way to go.

Recoil should be like a 12ga shotgun, more of a push than a punch. They have a REALLY nice muzzle break.

I would like to have the 18" version in 50S/T. I have read somewhere that the opt. barrel length should be 31"-33" for the 50BMG.

He is coming out with a SEMI AUTO later this year for under $4k! I will get a pic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts