Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, its not a tactical rifle so my experience is very limited. So I would expect typical hunting rifle accuracy of about 2 MOA

MEL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mele said:
Well, its not a tactical rifle so my experience is very limited. So I would expect typical hunting rifle accuracy of about 2 MOA

MEL
Mel, thanks for answering. When you said 2 moa did you mean from ransom rest or bench?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When talking about MOA of a particular rifle it is implied that this is the best that a rifle can do, not the best that a particular person can shoot in various positions. For instance Mel's rifles have a .5 moa guarantee, he doesn't however guarentee that the people who buy them can actually shoot them well enough to get that, only that in capable hands this can be achieved. :wink:

John

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
With a quality load, I bet it would shoot.

I like Sierra or Nosler bullets.

Were the rifle mine, I'd try this load that I found on the Hodgdon Powder website. The load uses one of my favorite powders, H4350 and it delivers velocity:

165 grain, Sierra Soft point boat tail, 59.0 grains H4350. I'd use Federal Gold Medal Match primers. And the overall loaded length is 3.300". Muzzle velocity is about 2940 fps.

Keep in mind this is a max. load and you should start loading at about 51 grains, working up as pressure indications allow.

This load has an accurate bullet, a fine powder and some speed. I think it has potential and I would bet that this load has the potential to shoot MOA in your rifle.

Man, I have to go out and buy a .30-06. The thought of that load has me salivating like Pavlov's dog.

Mad

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too was wondering about this rifle. But no one seems to have any sort of opinion on it at the moment, too new of a gun I suppose. From what I hear based off a Charter 2000 rifle after mossy bought them. So if anyone knows anything about those, spill it. :)

If I get this rifle I plan on throwing a Bushnell Legend 3-9x with quick-focus and a Caldwell prone bipod.

Any thoughts? Good first rifle setup?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Sure, if it's what you can afford, and they sure are affordable!

This is just me, but if you can swing a couple extra bucks for a Remington, go for it. All kindsa add-ons for later if you want to play with it. If you're looking for a cheap hunting rifle though, it'll do.

I kinda think it's for the guy who shoots a deer every year, and goes through maybe a box of ammo in that year.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I am sure the rifle will shoot minute of bambi at normal hunting ranges. If that is what you want it for go for it. You don't need a 1.4 moa rifle for deer hunting. If you want to shoot long ranges save up some money and go with a more name brand rifle. A Savage even makes a good BUDGET long range rifle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mele said:

MEL
2.3 inch group with Federal Gold Math at 100 yards. Mel was right unfortunately. I was hoping for .25 MOA :lol: :cry:
I will do better next time.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Can you post a close up pic of the action? sorry to hear about the 2.3" group....... :? Better luck next time. What position did you shoot from? Do you have a rifle vise, sand bags.....anything like that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
caver101 said:
Can you post a close up pic of the action? sorry to hear about the 2.3" group....... :? Better luck next time. What position did you shoot from? Do you have a rifle vise, sand bags.....anything like that?
I had bags. I will try to make pics. 4.5 years of military college did not make me a good rifle shooter, so hopefully I will get better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
car5car said:
What size groops would you expect? I did not shoot it yet.
http://www.mossberg.com/model100atr.htm
With your average shooter and hunting ammo from a bench rest not a ransom rest you should be looking for 1.5 to 3 MOA groups. I worked at the Outdoor World sporting shop in the Ft. Lauderdale area for a few years and we sold quite a few of these to customers who came back to buy more ammo with a big grin on there face. Im sure you will like it as well.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
140 Posts
car5car said:
mele said:

MEL
2.3 inch group with Federal Gold Math at 100 yards. Mel was right unfortunately. I was hoping for .25 MOA :lol: :cry:
I will do better next time.
Once it is "broken in" and the barrel is settled in your groups should go down a little. Same goes with practice, your groups should go down a bit. Dont forget to clean it real good, you can have the best barrel in the world and if its dirty its not going to shoot good. Copper solvent is a must after EVERY shoot. You wouldnt beleive how many people i had to explain to at my job in a gun store in florida what copper solvent is and why its used.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, I found one in a pawnshop for 175$ with a scope. The scope is a northwest territory 3-9x32. Using some mil sup ammo I had it shooting a 1.2 group at 100 yards. That was without a bench, laying on the ground. The rifle looks brand new, I think I heard someone mention that when the bolt was closed it still moved, well mine doesn't. I figure after I get some match ammo and something to steady myself I should be under 1". What ya'll think?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i say some crazy genie put some weird "curse" on that 175$ rifle...jk man--thats pretty good

dom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I got 1.5 MOA shooting Federal Gold Match
Silver bear ($5 pack) was about 3 MOA
Remington soft point ($12 pack) about 4 Moa.
I will try to get 1 MOA next time.
Thanks guys for your responses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alahighrollerscc said:
Ok, I found one in a pawnshop for 175$ with a scope. The scope is a northwest territory 3-9x32. Using some mil sup ammo I had it shooting a 1.2 group at 100 yards. That was without a bench, laying on the ground. The rifle looks brand new, I think I heard someone mention that when the bolt was closed it still moved, well mine doesn't. I figure after I get some match ammo and something to steady myself I should be under 1". What ya'll think?
Great! Thanks! It gives me hope! I am a beginner I'll get better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
car5car said:
I couldn't attach pics of my Mossberg action
I'll try to soon, I couldn't find the digi cam when I posted last. I am very impressed by this rifle. It has a pad on the stock from the factory, that is so good you wouldn't think it was an 30-06.

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts