Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, i know I shouldn't have hit the Big5 ad up...

but I just bought a mosin 91/30 for 80 bucks...and yes i know that this rifle isn't high precision...i put a nc star 4x32 extended eye relief scout scope on it...so we're talking what 150 bucks rifle and scope...shooting old military surplus ammo at 100 yards I was shooting decent 3-shot shot groups (about size of quarter sorry i'm not confident with my MOA measuring abilities to post numbers) ...today i went to the range and took her out to 200 yards...my groups were ALL OVER THE PLACE!! i don't get it... with my remi 700 .30-06 with a leupold scope (OBVIOUSLY MUCH NICER PACKAGE) my groups really don't get any bigger at 200 than from 100...i mean it hardly spreads...why is it that with the mosin it's going from 1.5 inches maybe to 10 or 15 inches at 200? i know i wasn't having a bad day because i shot the remi just fine at 200...is the mosin really that CHEAP of a rifle?

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
140 Posts
Probably the ammo. Buy a box or two of new Manufactured ammo and try it out. Make sure the bore is nice and clean too. :wink:

The Rifleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could also be slight variations in sight picture. 4X can be a little rough at 200. What power were you shooting your 700 at? And by all over the place, do you mean in the3-4" or more like Minute of Target Backer(corner to corner)?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
He did say 10-12" inches, which is a huge shift. I would venture to say its the scope, only being 4x and probably with a fairly large reticule, it may just be difficult to aim precisely at that range.... I'm purely speculating though.

MEL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got that now. I skimmed it too fast. I had a 7mm08 that shot great groups at 100, until I went to change POI using the scope. 4 clicks would be around 5". I figured out that when I had it bedded, the gunsmith didn't properly tighten the scope mounts and rings and the scope jumped until it settled after a few rounds. It would then shoot 1-1.5 MOA. Check you scope mount, and repeatability on the reticle. It could be a broken scope. Also get newly manufactured ammo and rule that problem out. Try shooting it at 100 yds again and see if the distance could be a factor (either poorly stabilized bullets or aiming margin of error).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
f it's a lower cost scout scope, could it be a parralax problem? some of em are fixed focus at a certain range.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks for all the replies! I'm taking her out tomorrow up where i actually do some hunting and i'm going to see how it does out there...The remi has a 3-9 power leupold i usually shoot at 200 with 5 maybe 6...just because it's dumb for me to get used to having her cranked in at 9 shooting out there when i'll be trying to shoot a running deer, elk, etc etc. I have a couple of boxes of some new Winchester ammo I'll slap through her and see how it does... I checked my scope mount and it's all tightened properly so i ruled that out...someone mentioned parrallax with the scout scope? what is that?

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
263 Posts
It doesnt :)
HIGHLY probable that is a scope problem, I have never seen Mosin ammo split so much at 180-200 meters, even cheap KO-44-1 hunting version sold today in gunshops shoots 2 MOA consistently out to 300 m.

If you are good with open sights, I'll suggest shooting at 100, 150 and 200 m using them to get whole picture.

One last word - everyone have their own methods, but I generally determine POI and weapon accuracy with much more shots than 3 per group... must be my sport background :) but i prefer to have at least 5-10 rounds per group.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will keep that more shots ina shot group in mind...how much play does barrel temperature factor in with accuracy? I hear people tlak about it and even see guys that wait a certain amount of time before taking their next shot so their barrels get cooled down to a certain degree...what do ya think??

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
263 Posts
and even see guys that wait a certain amount of time before taking their next shot so their barrels get cooled down to a certain degree
In case of extreme range shooting, that definitely makes sense, even with thick match barrel. With standard SVD, it is issue, because after 20-30 quick shots thin-walled barrel heats wildly, resulting huge POA vs POI difference. Mosin have same barrel thickness, but you definitely will fire slower with bolt action.

If you are to wringle maximum possible accuracy from Mosin, and going to shoot more than 20 shots in a row, feel free to let the barrel cool a little after every shot. If you are to fire 5-7 rounds in a row slowly and carefully - do not be TOO concerned about barrel temperature, just dont get the barrel overheated.

Also, in cold temperatures (I mean 0 C and below), first shot in the group might go a little away from group center when fired from cold barrel, others, according to my experience, should group fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts