Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the subject line says it all. I am pretty sure that "Bambi" & company can smell me coming. *yes, I do bathe daily :p so, I am wondering if anyone out there has a recomendation for me to try. Do those scent-block suits really work?
Thanks all,
Craig

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hi Tangotracker, I havn't got one yet myself but as the "old hands" tell me the basics are....hunt into the wind or across it, when there is very little or no wind, hunt up hill in the morning and down hill in the evenings, as cold air flows down in the night/morning and as the sun warms the traped air in the valleys during the day it rises up the slopes in the arfternoons. I know of no one who uses scent blockers. What type of deer are you hunting......I'm out after sika deer a week from today. cheers.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Tango,

I have a Scent Blocker Leafy wear suit and I would have to say yes they help. I am also a bowhunter and have had animals as close as 3 or 4 yards and they had no idea I was there. I see that your from "up north" so you won't have the heat problems I have here in South Texas where I hunt. That is the only draw back to the suits. Even ths super light weight ones. They will burn you up in hot weather. 2 things most people dont ever think of when hunting is their head and their breath. Cover your head as best you can and get you an activated carbon face mask. My suit came with a face cover that you can breath through and it eliminates breath odor. Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Its not that you stink (well it might be but probably not - :D ) it just that you smell like a human, so does all of your stuff. I have two frineds who run trap lines. Neither ever takes their trapping gear or clothing into the house, and they certainly never wash it just before wearing it - all detergent has some kind of scent in it.

Its a question of trying to smell like the environment that you are hunting in, than being clean. It also has to do with your diet, but that is a smaller item than making your gear smell less like a human.

JeffVN

·
Registered
108 Posts
ok try washing your clothes the night befor you hunt and re wash them with baking soda not a lot as it does have an odor and rinse them twice with clean water ,if you take a bath before you go or like me throw clothes on and go, rinse the night befor with baking soda and rinse all of it off it soakes up in the skin works pretty good 1/4cup to a tub or washing machine .go buy some red fox pee and spray on pants legs before you walk to your stand.
get a bottle of tinks 69 poor some in a sandwich bag ,soak a rag in it all night befor hunt about 100-150 yds before stand drag it behind you with a string hang it up about 75 yds in plain view 4-5 feet off ground and wait
thats about all the help i can give you ,...oh yeah make sure your gun is sighted in and loaded...lol gl ,im having a bad year hunting too but thats because of relatives god i could ramble for days about hunting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts