Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the rain let up enough for me to get some trigger time, basically just to sight in my new scope... all I had was Fed. Power Shok 180gr hunting rounds but oh well :lol:

100 yards

250 yards

I figure its not too shabby, seeing as its only my second time behind my rifle, and using sub par ammo... plus its a VTR haha, I need to get to a real range so I can shoot comfortably!

Hopefully with some federal Match ammo and some practice, I can shrink the groups.

Anybody got any breathing techniques?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Those look pretty darn good for factory hunting loads. If you're not into loading your own, you might want to by a box of several different brands and loads. I know the "custom" factory loads where they load better bullets like Nosler's etc, can cost twice as much but might want to try some of those also.

I'm a firm believer in, if you want the best accuracy, you must load your own, but different loads and different manufactors can get you close. I just bought my granddaught a Ruger 22LR MkIII target piston, I went to every store within 50 miles and bought 50/100 round boxes (50s when I could find them) of every different brand and type I could find just so we could find the round it liked best. $150 worth of different 22LR's just to find the best for the gun.

Breathing technic, don't.

Actually, I don't hold my breath, just pause if for no more than 6 - 8 seconds. I close my eyes, take a couple of deep breaths and then as I exhale most of the second or third, I just let my whole body relax, open my eyes and squeeze. Your eye can only hold a clear focus for approx six seconds so there is no need trying hold your breath beyound that. If you don't get the shot off, hold what you have, rest your eye again, take a couple of deep breaths and repeat. After some practice, you should have no problem getting your shots off in the first pause and then each shot in sequence between each breath after that. Then you can work on getting them between heart beats.

I'm sure the pro's might have some better technic's but this has worked form me for amost 50 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would hardly call Federal Vital Shok "sub par" ammo. I can consistently shoot groups .5MOA or less with the 180gr from my SPS tactical. Only Federal Gold Medal match shoots tighter out of my gun.

When hunting season comes, vital shok is all I will use. It is great ammo. Your groups are pretty darn good. I don't think you'll get much better then that with FGMM.

As far as breathing technique, try BRASS. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Steady-Squeeze. This is what I was taught in the military. Don't "hold" your breath. Take 2 or 3 relaxing breath's and feel the muscles in your body relax. Release the tension in your body. As you exhale, stop at your natural resting place, usually right before you start to inhale again. Hold your aim and begin a steady, smooth squeeze on the trigger. The gun should surprise you when it goes off. Keep your trigger pull steady even after the gun goes off, for a good follow through.

I think you're groups can get tighter with practice. I don't target shoot Federal Vital shok anymore because it is absolutely expensive. A box here at the local gun shop is $35. I buy FGMM online for $20/box. They both shoot equally well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ScoutRifleman said:
I would hardly call Federal Vital Shok "sub par" ammo. I can consistently shoot groups .5MOA or less with the 180gr from my SPS tactical. Only Federal Gold Medal match shoots tighter out of my gun.

When hunting season comes, vital shok is all I will use. It is great ammo. Your groups are pretty darn good. I don't think you'll get much better then that with FGMM.

As far as breathing technique, try BRASS. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Steady-Squeeze. This is what I was taught in the military. Don't "hold" your breath. Take 2 or 3 relaxing breath's and feel the muscles in your body relax. Release the tension in your body. As you exhale, stop at your natural resting place, usually right before you start to inhale again. Hold your aim and begin a steady, smooth squeeze on the trigger. The gun should surprise you when it goes off. Keep your trigger pull steady even after the gun goes off, for a good follow through.

I think you're groups can get tighter with practice. I don't target shoot Federal Vital shok anymore because it is absolutely expensive. A box here at the local gun shop is $35. I buy FGMM online for $20/box. They both shoot equally well.

Where are you finding FGMM for 20 a box?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ScoutRifleman said:
I would hardly call Federal Vital Shok "sub par" ammo.

I don't target shoot Federal Vital shok anymore because it is absolutely expensive. A box here at the local gun shop is $35. I buy FGMM online for $20/box. They both shoot equally well.
It was power-shok, I dont know what the difference between that and vital shok is, but it was only $15 per box last year at deer hunting season... The FGMM at the same store is about $31 per box.

I was shooting prone off my bipod, and using my fist as sort've a rear bag support... Next time I'm gonna shoot off a bag, and have a rear shooting bag, and hopefully that'll help.

The thing that sux is, I have some nerve damage in my eyebrow of my non shooting eye from an old fight cut... so after keeping it closed for too long while aiming, it starts spazzin and twitchin :lol: that don't help much!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
First, you should learn to shoot with both eyes open, after all, doesn't it make since that anything you can see with one eye, you can see twice as good with two.

Second, you should not spend long periods of time aiming. As I mentioned before, the eye can only hold focus for about six seconds. Get you a snap cap and spend a lot of time with dry fire practice. Get your trigger pull and breathing coordinated so you can get the shot off and don't forget the follow thru. Don't sit there forever trying to aim in one breath or one constant look through the scope.

Another little drill that will help you is have someone else load the rifle for you, one shot at the time, every now and then slipping in the snap cap and see if you can get the shot off without flinching.

Again though, I don't claim to be a pro and have never had lessons, this is all what I've just learned over the years and works for me. If I'm giving you some bad info, maybe one of the pro's will set us both straight.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
To the OP:

There's some straight advice being given above, listen. And also, that's realy good shooting for Powershok. I've never punched a group like that 250 yarder with that ammo..not bad..

slowkota said:
Anybody got any breathing techniques?
So, in general:

1) Breathe in a full breath as you settle behind the rifle, and let it out normally.
2) As you take up slack in the trigger, and begin looking through the sights/scope, take a second normal breath.
3) Let out this second breath only until the crosshair/sight climbs back up to the POI (ideally this should be near the bottom of your exhalation). At that point, FOCUS on the front sight/crosshair, and hold your breathe as you apply trigger pressure to the rear until the shot breaks. You should be using your lungs to help control elevation.

As has been mentioned, do not hold focus for longer than 6-7 seconds. At this point, if the shot has not broken, you need to take another breath, look away from the scope (preferably at something green), and repeat the process. Reasons being 2: hypoxia begins to cause muscle tremors at 10 seconds or so, and your retina and optic nerve will have a negative image imprinted long before that. You can lie on the the rifle all you want wainting on conditions, but don't focus on the crosshair, and don't hold your breathe for extended periods.

ScoutRifleman said:
As far as breathing technique, try BRASS. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Steady-Squeeze. This is what I was taught in the military.
I bet ya weren't. :wink:

The first "S" stands for "Slack." As in: take up the slack in the trigger, or take up the first stage of a two-stage trigger.

Brass is a fair guideline for marksmanship, but it's not everything.

Keep the lead flying,
-Nate

·
Registered
21 Posts
natdscott said:
1)

Reasons being 2: hypoxia begins to cause muscle tremors at 10 seconds or so, and your retina and optic nerve will have a negative image imprinted long before that. You can lie on the the rifle all you want wainting on conditions, but don't focus on the crosshair, and don't hold your breathe for extended periods.
your the first person to mention this, and you beat me to it.. lol i will just add that you dont want to pause your breath at the top OR the bottom of it...and this is because when fully expanded or fully compressed(empty) they actually shake alittle...its very minute and most people will never even notice it..thats why we were taught to pause some where in the middle...im sure some of yall already knew this, but for the ones who didnt...now you do :)

happy hunting,
Shaun

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here is my best group of the day that I shot today. I had a couple groups that I punched 2 in pretty much the same raged hole, but Im always blowin it... just need more practice I guess!

I'm getting more and more impressed with my rifle everytime I shoot it!

This was with Remington Premier Match w/ 168gr Sierra Matchkings. I haven't really researched them at all, but when I was a Gander Mt. the FGMM 168's were $56 per box :shock: And the remington was still pricey at $35 per box :?
I just ordered some FGMM from that link on cheaper than dirt... waaaaaaay better price!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll throw a cellphone snapshot of the rifle up... Its dark in the woods 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts