Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
An SC1 will get you the same accuracy guarantee of "sub" MOA and will leave you enough money left over for a good scope.

Just my two cents. :D

-snowy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea... for $4150.00 it better come with alot of accesories... Like he said... you could get an SC1 and have the same "sum MOA" garentee and have alot of money left over for a nice scope... compared to the other rifle. Ive never used a IBA rifle... so i dont know how well they are made. But for $4150.00 it better be a dang good rifle...

BC

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm not taking anything away from IBA, everyone over there are really helpful people who love the sniping and shooting world. I know they have some top notch gunsmiths and I've heard a lot of LE folks sing their praises, but I must agree with BC.

If I buy a rifle for $4,000 it had better be better than "sub MOA" .99 MOA is technically "sub MOA."

I'll take .5 MOA for $1500 myself.

Come to think of it, for that price you could get an SC1 with the general purpose hunting stock with an Unertl USMC scope and have nice little replica on your hands. :D

-snowy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The IBA rifles are very well built with a lot of attention paid to the details. They spend a lot of hand loving time on their rifles... but I'll leave the decision of wether its worth it or not up to you

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think IBA needs to clarify more clearly what there garenteed MOA is... because a one inch group isnt going to excite me into buying a $4,000 rifle.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Even still, if you baught an SC you'd still get out of it cheaper.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
TAC-400 Tactical Super Grade (Rifle Only) $2850.00

Savage 110PF includes Accu-Trigger (Rifle Only) $600

Both rifles are just as accurate... i know i know... i just compared a custom made rifle to a savage 110... so sue me. :p

BC

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys/girls
There are many things to think about when buying a custom rifle.
Now $4300.00 for a custom rifle is a lot of money no matter how you slice it and for that price I what exactly what I want.

From what I can gather from IBA. That is no great deal. In fact it kind of seems the price is really high with no quality guarente.

Reputation in this industry is everything, when you start to make a claim or charge a price, you better be able to back up your claims or justify your price.

With IBA I have a few concerns. Now these are just things I'm pointing out, I have shot an IBA rifle before and was not impressed. that was a while ago. The person who bought the rifle picked it up at a gun show and later sold it for almost half of what he paid. He was not a happy person.

I find it hard to trust a website that not only sells rifles, but also sells a lot of other things that I feel is like stabbing the customer. Long stem cotton swabs, plastic bottels,sniper patches, logo t-shirts,Leather drink coasters.
Who really needs a leather drink coaster???? A scope mount for $215.00
seems a little pricy to me. Now for that price it better be good. A $400.00 print of Carlos Hathcock that I bought five years ago for $60.00. This kind of thing dose not help their reputation.

Now on the rifle.
$4000.00 for what seems to be a Remington Police model with a rebarrel,scope and a few mods. I know that you have to pay for labour, but I want quality for that time. I want my rifle to shoot .25MOA for that.
If you can't deliver that then your price should be adjusted to the market value of that.
$4000.00 and no Mcmillan stock,no devcon bedding? Last time I check Hart barrels were not that expensive and they get a dealer discount.
BUT it dose have a really nice website with inspiring pictures and a neat hog's den logo.

This is were craftsmenship really shines. Companies like TBA, Tac-ops, and Robar charge a premium price,but put out a really premium product and have a proven guarantee. It's so reliable it's the choice for many police departments that need this type of consistency because lives and public safty are on the line. You pay well for this type of master craftsmenship.

Now on the flipside Mel is offering you a tactical rilfe package for $1500.00 that will shoot .5 MOA. That's amazing!! I've never seen that custom quality offered at that price. The money you save could be put towards,scope,rings,range finder,ammo,ect.
Buy the parts and have Mel put it together for you.

Please know that my intention is not to bash IBA. I only want to pose some thought so the buyer can beware. The American firearms industry is a big dinner table and everyone has to eat. I dont mind paying more for something to support it, but nothing pisses me off more than being ripped off
So please take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
just my 2 cents,
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
We're also talking about different concepts.
Lets face it, the aspects of shooting we are all interested in:
precision, reduction of variables, tracking of non-reducible variables to establish patterns, physics, ballistics, field craft, stealth, etc. is much more than your average shooter is interested in.

When you get down to it, it's the shooter and not the gun.
IBA does put a lot of care into their weapons, at the same time they are catering to a different market than most of us here on this site.

I suspect more than one orthodontist (no offense to orthodontists!) has bought an IBA and sent some rounds down the 1,000 yard line only to hit dirt, and called IBA furious.

These are custom guns and I'd wager they are well out of the price range of many LE budgets (even with the LE price break).

Mele is out there (correct me if I'm wrong Mele) to provide a quality shooting experience to as many people as possible, regardless of income level.

According to IBA, they are out there to provide “the very best military/law enforcement long range sniper rifle in the world, bar none.” Agreeing with them or not is your own decision.

The question is, what do you need as a shooter to get the job done?

I'm sure Mele could pile on options until your SC1A5 costs as much as a top of the line IBA. In the end we are talking about procedures and products that reduce variables and increase reliability. There is no "magic" involved.

Some people can get the job done with top of the line gear as long as the sun is just right and their range finder is working and they didn't lose their Mil-Dot master. Some people can "shoot a running rabbit with a $5 pistol" if you catch my drift.

I'm looking for a rabbit and an SC1.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
snowy said:
Mele is out there (correct me if I'm wrong Mele) to provide a quality shooting experience to as many people as possible, regardless of income level.
Yep, that is correct. I would modify it and say a "quality CUSTOM shooting experience". You can get a quality shooting experience from a $400 savage 10fp, but thats not the same. There are many many many gun makers out there that will build you a $2500-$3000 rifle. And they are generally all great. Heck, I'd do it for you if you really wanted. But there doesn't seem to be anyone out there that will give you a solid custom tactical rifle for $1500. So that is where I targeted. Some people said it couldn't be done, but it can, and by golly, I even make a little bit of money :D

To top it off, I plan to offer the new SC2 at $1200. But its not as custom, more of a canned rifle. It'll use HS stocks, remington actions, no large bolt knobs. Limited calibers (unlike the SC1's). But it will be a .5 MOA custom rifle that is available to even more people (cost wise).

Man, I remember (Vividly) when I wanted dearly a quality tactical rifle but couldn't afford the $2k (then) for a low end custom rifle, the cost is even more now. I'm just trying to help those people. Not everyone is an orthodontist :D

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mel, say i were to get one of your rifles, sould you make one that looks like say a tac-ops lima 51,? and offer the .5 moa? and what about the color, and the epoxy stuff, could you do that? and what about a larg bolt knob?
thanks

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You should really read the SC1 page.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sc1.htm

Yes, Mele could make you an SC1A5 it would have the Mcmillan A5 stock that you seem to be fond of.

The SC1 rifle can be made with the following stocks: A2, A3, A4, A5 HTG, McHale or the Winchester Marksman.

You can see them here.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/tactical.html

TBA is great, but it is also up there with IBA as far as highly labored and priced custom rifles.
That TBA does not come with the Unertl USMC scope. That is another $2500.

Please don't take this as being offensive, but you seem to like the tactical look.

If you like the tactical look, go with Mele and an SC1A5. And save yourself about $1500.
The rifle will look exactly like the IBA you just referenced. Yes, Mele can get the grip texturing and make the body OD Green and the barrel black. You can even get him to order you the Unertl USMC scope and mounts to go on it.

First, ask yourself "what will I be doing with this rifle?"

I don't know you, you may be planning to spend the next three months at Storm Mountain in intensive long range unknown distance training.

If you are just getting into the tactical shooting world consider something like like the Savage 110fp for about $500.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sav110fp.htm

Or if you like the tactical look try the Savage 10FP-LE2B for around $1,000

http://www.savagearms.com/10fple2b.htm

With minimal tuning you will be able to shoot long range and train effectively with either of these weapons.
Save your money for good optics and a good weekend of training and then you will know what the world of tactical shooting is all about. All that expensive hardware won't do you any good if you can't shoot past 300 yards.

High dollar will never replace rounds down range.

You don't want to spend close to the price of a good used car on a rifle and then find out you don't enjoy tactical shooting. Tactical rifles cost so much because they are expected to perform flawlessly under adverse conditions.

Will you need to make a 600 yard cold bore shot at a moving target within 1 MOA with little or no chance of a follow up shot on a regular basis?

That is what IBA is selling their rifles for.

Mele is selling his rifles for everyone: Military, LE and Civilian and you will have more money in your pocket at the end for things like: drag bags, spotting scopes, range finders, ghillie suits, training, ammo, other weapons, GPS and anything else you can think of.

The quality difference will be little or none.

I do not want to discourage you or bad mouth your choices. I'm just offering some ideas to consider. If you've got the money go for it and come to the SC meet up and let me shoot your gun! :D

Do whatever makes you happy and good shooting.

-snowy

·
Registered
51 Posts
A lot of people on the board seem to like them a lot... You can do a search on this board about TBA and you'll see the various opinions people have on them. There's even a thread in the SOP section titled "Going for TBA version M40A1" started by LONGSHOT_ZERO. Some replies in that thread show the opinions of some members about the M40A3 by TBA. 8)

Don't get me wrong, but I have to go with snowy on this... The SC1A5 is a fine custom made rifle at almost half the price of the TBA... You can even see the progress of your rifle on this site... With the money you save, you can get some quality glass and lots of ammo to play with your new toy... 8) Just my 0.02

Anyway, which ever rifle you decide to purchase, post pics and tell us how it shoots... :)

Good luck with your purchase and damn ur lucky to have so many options... 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts