1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I voted yes... but that is simply because my job denies me the option to choose when / where / what conditions i shoot in. :) For your average range sniper... it is not needed.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I needed a "luke warm" or "maybe" option for my vote.

I think they are useful, just not critical. I voted yes, but 90+% of my optics do not have them.

MEL

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I also voted yes as the only negative I can think of is a very slight weight increase .....no big deal.
It does not matter if the thing fails or the battery dies as it still works as a scope should anyway......if it works, they are great in low light.

The only illuminated scope I have is a SUIT Trilux on my L1A1 SLR ..... (Lithgow, inch pattern FAL)
The Trilux were originally illuminated with Tritium (now dead).
Mine now runs on a battery powered red LED.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've got nothing against illuminated reticules provided that you can either:
- i) Adjust the illumination level
- ii) The illumination adjusts according to ambient lighting.

Most optics of this type seem to follow at least one of those principles. Some follow both, those though, tend to be more expensive.

I know some Russian marksman optics have night-vision capability, and the later-issue PSO and PSOPs have illuminated reticule capability at night, but it's single-level and I think, depends on ambient lighting, or you literally switch it on. Looks like it's time for me to do a little more research.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts