Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES YES! Im so happy! Well I havn't applyed but I decided to do college instead of USMC. God such a relieaf. Me personaly, id rather have dorm life and get wasted a lot of times and hang with friends then going in the Corps. Ahh sweetness! And no need to break up with a girlfriend because of the Corps (dont argue w/ my view ;)) .

Im not saying Mil is bad, but I don't want to remember ANY of this of me wanting to do it. ANY. So im imersing my self in College stuff now. So my action plan is take SAT, ACT and what ever. Now what colleges? I have plan A. Go to Community College for two years here in NY, then go to UNC or FSU. Then live there (NC or Florida). Plan B. Go straight to UNC or FSU.

So as you can guess, im looking into the three colleges now. FSU is cheaper and high acceptance rate for out of state-ers so im going for them.

IM JUST SO HAPPY, you can't imagine what my friends and family are feeling! Fun, dorm life, on my own, meet new people, hang with them, and hang out with my friends from HS.

I know some of you will suggest a different University, but maby I'll listen :p All Iknow is I want to be by the palm tree's little chance of snow, by the ocean, and warm-hot weather. I'd like to go to USC but thats to far at this time.

Guys, don't be disapointed in my decision. This is also a chance for me to pursue my music into a career. And a chance to play basketball! Im hopeing to get into a band with a female volcalist and get a good reputation in NC, Florida or where ever and do gigs all over. Then try for a record label. Who know's Billboards top 25? I still have my SR year left, so that gives me time to collect money for community college if I go that path, the other being a University right away. Scholarships too! If I can't get this job im waiting for (been a week sense interview and I followed up 2 times, need to call back Friday by request) im going to McDonalds. MONEY! Money for clothes (hey i'm into that). McDonalds has a scholarship program, so thats good! Wow guys im so happy! I never want to change. If I could I'd stay this way for ever, a teen. By going to College and I can continue being a kid and imature. Drinking! Maby some other shi* lol. I get to go shopping for new clothes, get to keep my bangs and awsome'ly trimmed hair. I get to meet new friends, ahh yes! Don't put up a fight for the Military, I want to forgett it forever. No harsh feelings intended, really.

IM SO HAPPY!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
congrats corvette!!! ur lucky....i still have 5 years till college--just dont forget us here folk at SC!!!

dom

·
Registered
994 Posts
jc71corvette said:
YES YES! Im so happy! Well I havn't applyed but I decided to do college instead of USMC. God such a relieaf. Me personaly, id rather have dorm life and get wasted a lot of times and hang with friends then going in the Corps. Ahh sweetness! And no need to break up with a girlfriend because of the Corps (dont argue w/ my view ;)).
Very few who have ever served in the military would NOT want a cushy life living in a temperate dorm room with tasty fatty foods, light work schedules and given many an opportunity for personal interests...

But the men (and women, if any read the boards) who post on this forum abandoned the creature comforts that so many of us enjoy to don unparalleled responsibilities and hardships so that they may claim themselves as defenders of the creature comforts we all enjoy. I am not criticizing your decision to not join the military (it needs good officers, too), but to act as if the military "just isn't right" for you but right for others is a fallacy: K2, JeffVN and every other serviceman of this board surely wished they were safe back home, sleeping comfortably, worry-free. Instead, though, they accepted the responsibility of ensuring that the rest of us could enjoy such things.

If you choose to not carry such a burden, I cannot say it is unacceptable (as I have yet to do so), but do not gloat as if it is an accomplishment or milestone of your life: the hedonistic choice is never one worth advertising.

EDIT: It's been hours and I'm still deeply angered by this post. Regardless if insult was not intended, such a callous description of the military--such a blatant ignorance to the reason why soldiers join in the first place--it was all ridiculous.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Rec: Why not do both? Get in the Naval ROTC, go to college and then be an officer in the Marine Corps...?
sounds familiar...

^ happy now scratch? only 3 dots....

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
JC, I think what really matters is following your heart. If college is truly what you prefer, throw yourself into it. If all works out the way you want, I'll be happy for you.

Knowing what you want, and where your passion lies is a strenght not many of us enjoy. Best of luck, and do us proud.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey JC,

Congrats on making a decision, wether the right one or not, who knows. I wish you luck on which ever path you decide! There's more than one way to serve your country, military isn't the only. Good luck!

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Congrats on making a decision, I too decided not to go military and went to college. I did decide to go to two colleges at once, and became a ceertified peace officer by carrying a 30-40 hr course load for a full academic year. I do not regret my choice, but sometimes look back and wonder what if.

I have been a peace officer for 14years now, and only have about 14 more to go. There are a variety of ways to serve, but do not cut downthe military, without them we have no country to live in. I was as far as I can see the first in my family not to serve in the US militray since my family came over form Germany in the early 1800s. I tokk some heat from my dad for my choice for a while, but my Grandfather a decorated(Bronze star, purple heart, etc) told my dad to back off, as I would have to serve for a lot longer than if I joined the military.

Do what works for you, and dont sweat the rest, just find some way to serve this great country of ours.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I can tell some of you are dissapointed. But hey its a renewal of life, so to say. This is the path of life I want to take, and I will. I mean I have a chance of being a College athlete and who knowes where that could take me. I have a chance of being a musican with a record label out there, I have a chance to play on the Colleges paintball teams too. Even if I don't make it in basketball, I still can play it with my friends, still play paintball, still be a musician. Just so much potential in my choice. I don't want to do NROTC or PLC because that's being in the Corps. I will take the civilian life.

Dead_I_5_0 is right, there is other ways to serve my country.

Scratch I am not picking on the Military, I clearly said that in many forms. I'm just choosing an easier style of life. I'm not one of those tree huggin hippies that burn flags and stuff. So you guys can view me as a kid that's taking an easier way in life instead of a harder way. And i'm fine with that, as long as I am happy and I get to do the things that I want to do.
Who knowes, I might find the cure for cancer or the common cold because of my College education? See what i'm saying. Please don't be disapointed in me guys, this is how I view living life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
[quote="
Who knowes, I might find the cure for cancer or the common cold because of my College education? See what i'm saying. [/quote]

No offense or anything, but I dont think you will find the cure for cancer or the common cold with a community college degree.

College is a great choice, it opens up a lot of paths. Many of my good buddies and even my brother went to college and then chose a military path. Heck, my brother got a scholarship to an Ivy League school and then went on to join the SEALs.

Good luck in all your college endevours.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing about finding the cure's is just an analogy for my potential. That wasnt ment to be taken literally. And im going to do beyond community college. Im going to FSU or UNC after CC. Or im going straight to one of those.

BUt yeh thanks for your words :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I went to an Ivy League school. I have two degrees and the whole thing was a huge waste of time. Some days I truly regret ever having gone to law school.

I used to live in a dorm and alone in my room I used to load ammo late at night. I drilled holes through my desk in order to mount my press and when I moved out I filled the holes in using dowels and plastic wood.

If I wasn't so old and out of shape, I'd join the military in a heartbeat.

Mad.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
o man mad-----u villain--destroying college property!!!!! shame on you :twisted: hey-jk man....sounds like something i would do--lol

dom

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

Well....this site has never been a recruiting office so I doubt you will get much presure to join the corps.

**Side note: If you told a USMC recruiter you were thinking about taking the easy way out he would prolly send you back out the office door - with your half filled out application and not so much as a novelty in hand of course.**

College takes about 5 years on average and USMC is in 4-6 year terms. So realistically you can do both before your 30 if you wanted to.

Good luck in whatever you do.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Mad, ever thought of being a lumberjack? :lol:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Before I went to university, I used to be a lumberjack. I worked the Sahara Forest. But that opportunity is no longer available for me.

Mad

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You're kidding, I had no idea!

Well, since you know the ropes come on out here to Quebec. Forget law (and how you used to make real money lol) and hit the outdoors!

*ahem* I totally didn't even read Mad's post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
**Side note: If you told a USMC recruiter you were thinking about taking the easy way out he would prolly send you back out the office door - with your half filled out application and not so much as a novelty in hand of course.**
thats why you bs with them so they will give you your stuff lol...oh, the things ive gotten from the military...posters, water bottles, gym bag, shirt, lanyards....

of course im joining the navy to go into the SEALs, so i guess its not totaly wrong...i just know how to work people i guess...

College takes about 5 years on average and USMC is in 4-6 year terms. So realistically you can do both before your 30 if you wanted to.
exactly what i plan on doing...go to college get a degree in computer security etc etc, then go into the NavySEALs so i can boost my resume for what i really want to do in life (^_-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, JC. You have to do what is right for you bud and if college is what feels right then so be it.

As for Recoil's suggestion, maybe just do the ROTC thing at whatever college you choose. Would still keep amny avenues open for you if you decided to go the Military route after graduation and wouldn't be as much stress as the Naval Acadamy.

Let me suggest another College, based on your musical desire. University of South Carolina, Columbia. Columbia South Carolina is VERY coducive to musical careers. Ever hear of Crossfade? Actually quite a few bands got soem breaks there, Puddle of Mudd, Matchbox 20 and who can forget Hootie and the Blowfish?!?!?!?!?!

The local radio stations have contests ALL the time like Battle of the Band stuff. SOme local lables show up to these and you get LIVE radio time, they have a whole weekly show devoted to unsigned/local artists.

Anyway, just some advice biggun. Remember, one of the basic Marine Corps principals will also apply to college... Adapt and overcome =)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts