Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, if you have a picture of a mil-dot reticule in a 10x scope, or if you have one yourself, then a 6' tall man will be exactly 2 mils tall at 1000 yards.

MEL

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
hey mele....

hey mele, just wondering which mils you use? army or Marine? just kinda wondering since i was always taught a standard 6' man at 1000 yds would be 1.9 mils, just wondering if it is the difference in the mil systems or just different schools.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, actually, it has nothing to do with USMC or US Army mils, as they both have the exact same measurement for 1 mil. But the mil relation formula makes it pretty clear.

size of target in yards
--------------------------- x 1000 = distance in yards
size of target in mils

we need to do a little algebra to solve for "what size will my target be in mils when my distance is 1000 yards". So, lets fill in what we know

2 yards (6 ft man)
------------------------- x 1000 = 1000 yards (we know it in this case)
size of target in mils.

Now, simplify.

--------- = 1000
mils

we can now cross multiply to get
2000 = 1000 mils

now, simply divide in order to solve for mils.

mils = 2.

Of course, it would have been easier to just remember that a mil is one unit of measure at 1000 units of measure. So, if our units of measure are yards, a mil is 1 yard at 1000 yards, and we know a 6ft tall guy is 2 yards tall, so he would be 2 mils.

Anyway, its just math, so I hate to change the way you estimate your range (if its been working, dont change it!) but a 6ft man would measure 2 mils at 1000 yards.

To answer your question, my bravo has a leupold mk4 10x40mm M3 which uses the smaller US Army mil-dots. (only the dots are smaller everyone, they are still 1 mil apart). But I have other scopes on other rifles that use the USMC 3/4 mil-dots. Either way, they both work equally as well.

MEL
PS - Sorry for the math lesson... :?
PSS - For you young aspiring snipers, pay attention in math and science, they are critical.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
ok.. explains it, I always used the 27.777 divided by mils equals range... might explain the diffrence... either way it is .1 mil at a thousand yds, yes a sizeable difference - but not one the average shooter can tell the difference in. thanks for the response, an i'll get back outta sight / outta mind.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
wow...no more late night post... i keep getting 1052 yds.... hmmm gonna grab some more coffee.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
tx_shooter said:
thanks for the response, an i'll get back outta sight / outta mind.
Thats a big NEGATIVE!!! You are not allowed to stay outta sight or mind. I apologize if my post seemed rude.... I just wanted to explain the math in it for everyones sake. Please don't stop posting!

MEL

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
oh don't worry about me not posting... i'm a Marine - your always gonna get my opinion, even if you don't want it... just have to keep my grunt feet in the weeds. but don't worry, been watching the board for a while now, an pretty much wish i had found it years ago.... its a good board, an i am proud to say i post on it. thanks for the board and the reply mel ...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
now I will just take up my position keeping a good watch.... sometimes the best view point isn't from inside the group - but through a mil dot... 8) but i am usually watching. don't worry i will post when i can, but i always watch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, the the target would be exactly 914.4 meters away, right?

Height of target in inches x 25.4
------------------------------------- = 914.4
Height of target in mils[/u]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts