Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the long range shooting art. I have no forms of formal training other than the standard US Army 11B/C training I got back in 1980. I have a few AR's and a bunch of other types to firearms.
I would like to learn to shoot long ranges (out to 600-700yrds) and do it well. My weapon has a few things I need to take care of (mounts and rings) that are being taken care of now.
But where do you start? How do you start? I have not run into anyone in the Nashville area or any ranges that go over 200yrds. My back yard can go to 300yrds but its boring shooting by myself and I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for any advice.

P.s. Sorry to bother you with dumb ?'s
If anyone emails me please dont take offence to my email addy. I got the sniper nickname because of my fishing abiltiy at night, I pulled bass out of bad spots at night when no one else could. Hense the nickname sniper for my casting/fishing abiltiy. I DO NOT profess to be a trained sniper in any way. Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
I don't know where your email is listed, so I don't think anyone can take offense. ;)

Good to have you on the boards. The information you're looking for can be found already in a lot of these threads. If you want to shoot long distances, especially unmeasured distances, you'll need a scope (or rangefinder) that is capable of it. Scopes have measuring reticles. There is a sticky in the Optics section on said reticles and how to use them properly.

You know you're doing something right when you are capable of measuring the distance to a target, making the necessary adjustments, and hitting it. :)

Take a look at the mil-dot thread and then see if you have more specific questions (I doubt I can answer them, but someone smart will!).

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
As to a place to start, start at 100 yards. When you consistantly shoot sub MOA at 100 yards, move to 200 etc. After you start shooting at longer ranges 300 yards etc start looking and seeing what 100 yds, 200 yds etc look like. The shooting part is the easy part. Range estimation is the hard part. At least for me, and I have never quite gotten a good handle on it.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Welcome to the boards!!

There are a few entry level things you can do.
1)The obvious, hang around these forums... there are many experience long range shooters here.
2)Do some reading
http://www.snipercentral.com/books.htm
3)Check out the members section of sniper central, that is where the "how-tos" reside.
4)Attend shooting classes. We are trying to put together one for Sniper Central in the near future.
5)Obviously find someone local that can train you.

Now, when shooting long range on known distance shooting ranges, its pretty easy to do on your own. But if you are trying to learn the art of true long range shooting (unknown distances that you have to estimate) it will take a partner, preferably one who can see trace and spot well. But the obvious place to start is known distance... working your way further out as you can. It helps to do that before unknown distance anyway

MEL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice........

Thanks for the advice . I will be hanging around here reading and lurking as I dont have much to add at this time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Do you have a sub-moa capable rifle already, or are you planning on picking one up? I am sure you could find countless great suggestions in old posts, people are always finding good deals out there as well.
If you are looking for something, just ask. Chances are you will get some responses fairly quickly, with some good prices. Of course you can go the "new" route and get a factory or custom firearm from Mel. The other option is you could ask Mel some pricing on his custom rifles and factory ones as well. If you don't want to do that, I recommend you just give Mel a call and see what he can do for you.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first PR

Hes what I'm starting with........

I'm in the process of getting a new base(Ken Ferrell) and rings(TPS) for my Savage 110FP.

I will work up from there, but I think its a good starting point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts