Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith and just guessing but if that is a threaded barrel and it's got a right hand thread, someone may have removed the barrel then over tightened it when they put it back on.

Is there any damage to the barrel or the frame from being in a vice? If nothing is visible that may be correctable by a competent smith. Might be as simple as a small washer to shim the barrel to get it to line up the barrel with the frame.

I'm guessing your front sight is off to the left a bit.

·
Registered
879 Posts
But.... that can't be. Revolvers are so reliable they are not supposed to break!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have been at the gun counter and saw a few guns fresh from the factory look just like that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith and just guessing but if that is a threaded barrel and it's got a right hand thread, someone may have removed the barrel then over tightened it when they put it back on.

Is there any damage to the barrel or the frame from being in a vice? If nothing is visible that may be correctable by a competent smith. Might be as simple as a small washer to shim the barrel to get it to line up the barrel with the frame.

I'm guessing your front sight is off to the left
Can anyone tell me how this might have happened View attachment 29047 model # 29-3
That was typical of Colt revolvers at one time. That's the reason that I didn't like the Python. The barrels were not pinned and tended to unscrew after a while. When they were screwed back, they almost always went past center. Sad, but the fix is not simple.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check the barrel pin. Is it missing? Could be a factory defect, but could be a case of bad smithing. Colts were bad about that. They weren't pinned and would unscrew after a while. When retightened, they would usually go past center. Unfortunately the fix (reclocking) is not easy. That's why I never liked the Python. Basically, once its done, it's done.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Smith stopped pinning barrels in the early 80’s. I would call them and see what they recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my S&W 686 2nd hand and it had the same issue. The original owner said he bought it new from a gun store. The barrel was "over clocked". Smith had this issue for a while. You can see some of the Youtube videos of guys explaining the same problem and the difficulties they had with getting S&W to fix it. I didn't have a problem though. I sent it back and they fixed it and returned it to me free of charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like a lot of things you buy these days - the final quality control check is done by the purchaser. If the purchaser doesn't grizzle then it passed - if the purchaser does grizzle then we'll fix it - or send him a new one with the old serial number engraved on it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Like a lot of things you buy these days - the final quality control check is done by the purchaser. If the purchaser doesn't grizzle then it passed - if the purchaser does grizzle then we'll fix it - or send him a new one with the old serial number engraved on it.
Totally agree. A while back is was in the market for a Ruger .357 because by Security Six was stolen years ago. I was told that the new version was the GP100 was accurate if I recall the model number correctly. I went to the gun shop I frequented and they had a security six and a GP100. I cocked the hammers back on the both and cylinder on the security six was stayed locked in place, while the GP100 had some slop in the cylinder lockup. I went to about 4-5 gun shops and checked and sure enough when i pulled back the hammer on a GP100, I could move the cylinder slightly. DIDN'T like that. I ended up gettingt myself a lightly used Security Six and called it a day.. saved money and got a better engineered weapon IMO.. BIG CORPORATE AMERICA NEEDS TO STOP PUTTING OUT CRAP IF THEY WANT US TO BUY AMERICAN.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts