Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

IOR OR NXS

17K views 61 replies 20 participants last post by  beck.jamie 
#1 ·
If you had to pick between the IOR 9-36x56 35mm tube and the Nightforce 8-32x56 30mm tube for long rang 1000 to 1500 yards witch would you pick and why.

#2 ·
The IOR because the glass is better and it has more adjustments. Plus i've heard problems with the NXSs quality control. Never heard that problem out of IOR.

#3 ·
NXS by a mile.
I've seen the stuff IOR is putting out and for the price I'm severly dissapointed. I own 4 nightforce scopes and all are my first choice for long range work. I use a night force on my Mcmillan tac 50 and would use nothing else. Adjustments are stone cold reapeatable, and the glass is crystal clear. I've got the rings and bases and there like cement. Quality controll has never been an issue with anything I've owned from nightforce.
I guess in my opinion there really is no comparison. IOR is just not in the same leauge as Nightforce.

Just my 2cents,
Kenshin

#4 ·
IOR has a yellowish glass. And that's a fact. The NXS does not.

I know of several IORs with slight problems, and only a handful reports on the net when it comes to the NXS.

The biggest flaw I've found on the NXS is that the zoom makes your BC lense cover turn - and that really does suck. But enough to make it a crap scope? Not at all.

#5 ·
I am wondering when the last time anyone has looked through a IOR. I have some at work and they are some of the clearest, brightest scopes I have seen. All their glass comes from schott germany and they use the same coating as Zeiss. Go with the IOR.

#7 ·
I have looked through an IOR or two and they look pretty nice to me. Not yellow or fuzzy like some might say. I like the IOR 9-36x56 35mm tube better than the Nightforce 8-32x56 30mm tube because it is a slightly higher magnification with a larger tube for more adjustment and light transmission. And as Sniperdog said, the glass is very clear and bright.

The Rifleman

#9 ·
well mabye europe gets shitty IOR's... because i've compared IOR's next to most other high end optics and they look and perform just as well.

#11 ·
Here in europe, or should I say Norway, hunters usually use Zeiss. And if you ask someone what to buy there is very, very good chance they'll say Zeiss.

Zeiss is good, but in my opinion, to expensive (well worth!!! ) but, still expensive. Now, if you get almost the same quality, for 1/3 the money, why not!?

Kamatz: where can I find Hensholdt's? Never seen a website.. but Zeiss milltary grade must be :twisted:

#12 ·
Kamatz said:
Some say many here in Europe are picky and spoiled when it comes to optics. Could be. But compare any of the IORs I have had a look at with Zeiss, S&B, Hensoldt...and you'll see a big, big difference.
Its the truth man, what it comes down to is light transmission and color diffusion. IOR uses the same glass(nearly) as Zeiss and has a larger tube for more adjustments.

#13 ·
I'm thinking of IOR. Only problem I have with it, is I live in Norway, and most likely have to order it from the States. (Don't know where to buy it in Europe).

And because of that, should something happen to it, the person selling/reparing them in the US, Val, I think his name is, has a very dubious or bad reputation of beein difficult. So, Im afraid of buying and maybe send it to him. If that wasnt a problem, I would likely buy one.

Because, now I'm looking at NF, and they are Expen$ive..

#14 ·
Artemis AS sells IOR in Norway. Skytesport.no was going to get a few scopes that was made for some big customer in the US that suddenly couldn't pay or something. Don't know if the owner went through with the deal, though. If he was, you can get the same scope the US Coast Guard's using for virtually nothing.

But if you rather want a NXS - with the main trade-off being it's size - again, skytesport.no. There's no one in Norway selling them at prices anywhere near that. If you've been looking at NFM - well, shave off 10k...

ed: OR you could check out Roedale Precision and ask Pete Lincoln for an offer on a NXS. Pete's a great guy to deal with and his prices are absolutely fair.

Its the truth man, what it comes down to is light transmission and color diffusion. IOR uses the same glass(nearly) as Zeiss and has a larger tube for more adjustments.
Exactly. Nearly. Zeiss is the king of optical quality. There's no denying that. And IOR is not the prince.

#15 ·
Northman said:
... the person selling/reparing them in the US, Val, I think his name is, has a very dubious or bad reputation of beein difficult. \
If this is true, I say avoid IOR: why deal with a product that would be difficult to have repaired, especially when it broke?

Scatch Maroo

#17 ·
Northman said:
Scatch: I know, I know.. I'm just a big sucker for tactical looking scopes. I really don't need a big scope for 1K$ but.. i reaaaally want one. :oops:
And you can get such a scope from someone who has a reputation for great customer service...

Scatch Maroo

#19 ·
Mhmm, so USO, Hensoldt, S&B, Zeiss, Unertl...they're all overpriced since IOR is just as good? Right... :roll:

I would agree if you said IOR is a fair scope for a fair price. In that pricerange I think only Nikon Tactical would be a better choice. But honestly, don't get carried away.

Besides, IOR use Schott Glass Werk glass...Schott is part of the Carl Zeiss Foundation. S&B has their own factory. And you really don't think Zeiss would sell their best lense coating to the competition, do you?

#20 ·
Kamatz: You are a firce against anything other than Zeiss. :) atleast when it comes to IOR. I did'nt think IOR had that many glasses in Norway. The only one I can remember is the 10x56 that someone on sluttstykket.com was thinking about buying. 100 pieces or so?

Have you tried the other ones? The variables and so on? On US forums, alot of pepole speak highly about them.

#21 ·
No.

But when people start talking about how superb mid-range scopes are - without having used a high-end scope...well, fine. But they shouldn't lead others to believe that.

If I had lined up my PM II, my NXS and an IOR 4-16x..you'd see the difference, alright.

That was the owner of sluttstykket.no checking out the interest. On a lot of forums people speak highly of Burris and Bushnell, too. And by all means, to that price they serve a purpose. But claiming they're just as good as a the high-end scopes and keeping a straight face is madness.

But then again, what do I care? I know where IOR stands compared to what I have. I need a 1-4x some day soon - and it will not be the IOR. Apart from that, I have all the scopes I need.

#22 ·
i'll agree with you there, comparing a burris to a USO is mad. Comparing an IOR to a USO.... not really that mad in my opinion.

I honestly think you just have a problem with anything thats not 1800 dollars american.

#23 ·
Mmm...nope, I own a 1200 dollar NXS and a 2000 dollar S&B. The former's good, the latter's much better. IOR didn't tickle my fancy. Shooting in the twilight requires an absolutely colour neutral scope - IOR isn't that.

If there's one field where you get what you pay for, it's optics.

#24 ·
Its to bad Swarovski or Kahles doesnt make a tactical scope. They make some of the most crystal clear optics i have ever looked through. Swarovski has been cutting Crystal and Diamonds for many many years and has used that skill to make some of the best glass if not the best glass on the market today. Its just to bad they only make hunting optics.

I wish Swarovski / Kahles would come out with a tactical line. :(

The Rifleman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.