Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Would you be interested in an IRC channel?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What's IRC?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
IRC = Internet Relay Chat. You log on, using a client, and chat. Made specifically for chatting, and for a bit of file transfer. It's like AIM/ICQ/MSN, except slightly uglier, and yet, more convinient, as you can hold open discussions without dragging everyone into a chat room, as well as the fact that on IRC, channels can be moderated (You can kick/ban irritating users). Downside is, not too many people favor IRC.

I second the amended motion.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i think this site having an IRC network would be nice
i voted yes

just it seems that some people dont know what IRC is so maybe some other chat room built into the site?

you get my vote for it

·
Registered
565 Posts
For God's sake - don't start a server on your own! :shock: I was IRCOp on a server once. And it wasn't a big server...but still...more (annoying) work than I prefer.

Nah, I'd recomend...say...the Undernet server. CService are quite helpfull if something should go tits up. In that case someone registered at CService attempt to register a channel. A lot less work for both the channel admin and the operators.

...but to answer, yeah, I'm interested. But I'm sure how many people would really team up there. When I'm home I'm usually hooked up to the net 24/7...so I hanging around another channel wouldn't be a problem, anyway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm on Gamesurge and it hits quite a few netsplits, more than i'd like actually. Are DDOSs an issue on Undernet? Or netsplits for that matter?

Ps; I Idle in a support channel frequented by Ragnarok Online players. AKA; 10 year olds from korea who don't speak english. Nothing is more fun than answering the question "how to log on".

·
Registered
565 Posts
It happens, yes. But not more than you can survive.

I've been threatened by Romanian "hackers" a few times. A quick note that I've traced their IP and inform them that intruding on other people's pcs is a criminal offence and that their ISP will most likely shut down their access if they do....well, that shuts them up.

All in all I think Undernet is a very decent server. But it's big..so you'll meet all sorts of people. Both good and bad.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Err... frankly, this was something I did not forsee being requested, so I'm a bit behind the gun.

I would be interested in setting up the channel with one of these other servers, I do not believe I'd like to manage my own.

Anyone point me in the right direction? Any cost involved?

MEL

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a huge post written up, then bam. Locks up.

Alright;
There are few downsides to this idea. Time will have to be invested, and it will build community, but, of course, sometimes, with community, comes DRAMA. But, we've managed to remain professional, so there should be no real problems with that.

IRC;
www.mirc.com is a client I use. At the moment, it may or may not need cracking after the 30 day period is up. Those of use who feel that MIRC is worthwhile, but not worth going out of our way for find ways around this.

Undernet;
As per Kamatz's suggestion, you'll want to join irc.undernet.org. Select any of the servers, and give it a few tries (All the servers are linked, sending information to one another, thus, you achieve the possibility for massive channels of 1000+ people on them, some from foreign countries. Basic stuff). I will idle there under the nickname CM2k (I can be reached by using /msg (insert nickname here) (type message here), as well as in the channel #snipercentral. However, I was there for 5 minutes, and I received a completely anonymous message asking me if I liked smoking (A bot, spamming ads pretty well. The chat equivalent of spam). This will show you the basics of channel registration; http://mirchelp.nexuswebs.net/undernet.html . It takes 10 regular users, I am guessing visiting once a day, to get a channel registered. If you need help, join the channel #help to get it (/join (insert channel nick name here, always has a # in front of it) or /j)

My suggestion;
I personally know the owners of the servers on irc.xelium.net . Xelium is a web design company. I like the services better (In Undernets case, you register a nickname which you associate with yourself whenever you log on, but you make no claims to the nickname. In Xelium's case, you register the nickname, and can kill (read; kick off the network) any users using this name of you desire. Inactive names unregister themselves in both cases), and there is no minimum traffic needed to register a channel (Registering a channel lets you excersize control over it. In Undernet's case, whoever gets into the channel first from empty, would be given complete access to the channel. When the channel empties out (No users present), it resets back to an empty state. That's what it would be like until we picked up 10 regular users. In Xelium's case, you can register the channel immediately, and have all the control and access over the channel you want).

Downside is, the users are mostly Anime and VGM (Video Game Music) fans, in addition to the fact that the network is small (Small is kind of a subjective word. It has 700 regular users. Compared to networks like undernet, it's small. But compared to other networks, much bigger). However, I noticed that #support on xelium (Help channel pretty well) had more users present than #help on undernet, in addition to the fact that more operators (People running the IRC network and servers) were present. Website is http://network.xelium.net/ . And unless you drag in over 400 users, you are unlikely to ever max out their servers. I can be reached here under the nick CM2k as well as in the channel #snipercentral I guess.

There are other networks as well, but like countries of the world, no one has experience in all of them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have used some IRC chat rooms and found them to be ok. I am a moderator in one now and have not had to boot and ban too many people.

I have also used the chat rooms on bowhunting.net and hunting.net before and they seemed pretty nice. But anything past being a visitor to these chats I don't have a clue on how to set them up or anything.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have also used the chat rooms on bowhunting.net and hunting.net before and they seemed pretty nice. But anything past being a visitor to these chats I don't have a clue on how to set them up or anything.
Java clients can be integrated into VB relatively easy.

I suppose I should actually write up my thoughts on setting up an IRC server for yourself;

Setting up an IRC server would require a high speed line (A T1 line would be optimal, as it would allow for any future expansion). You would also have to rent a server, and setup Unreal IRC (IRC Server software http://64.84.10.70:81/ ), or something similar (No experience on the field, just going off of what people say, maybe Kamatz has a better idea). The server would not have to be webserver caliber, and would only really call on a basic setup (In reality quite a few servers can be run from home, installing linux etc on a machine, and then running a T1 to it. Problem is though, that's expensive if it fails, and you can also disconnect the server by accident, which isn't the best thing for the people visiting it). If anything, I would suggest getting together with Sniper's Hide and setting up a network for Hunting/Sniping, with all of you sharing the cost.

As you can see, it costs money. If you don't like the costs of running this Website, then you will not like the costs of running an IRC server, outside of the additional buckets of stress (If the network ever grows to a large enough size, it'll start getting DDOSd, if not botnetted (Botnets being groups of bots under the control of a few users, with the intent of spamming a network, or causing similar trouble)).

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'd like to hear some more comments and opinions on if this service would be used before I make the time/work investment into it.

anyone else have comments?

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think it would be wiser to find someone you trust enough and appoint him or her as head of the irc-part. Just keep an eye on it yourself from time to time...you're supposed to build rifles, run a website and a fourm..and now a irc channel. Sounds somewhat stressfull...

As of now, we're three people in CM2k's temporary channel. And as I've said, I'm not totally convinced we'll get a lot of people there. Simply for the fact that this is still a young and fairly small forum - and the patrons are spread around the world. But with time, we'll see...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, Kamatz, Nekekami and I are all in #snipercentral on undernet right now, so it's pretty well undernet, if at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think that few forum members would want to get an IRC client to visit the channel and we'd end up with a channel with a handful of regulars. It doesn't take much effort to get or learn how to use IRC, but I would imagine this signifigant negative would outweigh the benefits of an IRC channel. I feel the bottom line is that this forum along with profile information such as emails, and ICQ, MSN, AIM, and Yahoo messengers already makes it easy enough to stay in contact with members.

If there is an IRC channel, what would be the problem with an unofficial channel run by members? It seems Mel is spread thin enough anyhow.

If the channel proves to be popular to more than say, 10 people, then it might be worth the effort to make it official.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A Java client would stress Mel's Hosting, according to Nekekami. But yes, if there is some way, a Java client would pretty well be best.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I think what you have going right now with the temporary "unofficial" channel going, would be best right now. I'll watch what you have right now and we can see how/if it grows to where I would make it official.

MEL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Unoffically (Jeff_850 pushed us all there; It's another small server running good services) we are now on irc.superhosts.net. Yesterday we had only about 5 odd people there, but technical competence is a pretty big issue with the users of this forum, so it won't really grow until it's easier to get on.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No matter what server it ends up with - a link opening mirc or pirch or trillian, connects you to the right server and joins the channel is possible to make in the forums. I'm just not sure what it loos like... :roll:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts