Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just baught a savage 270 with the new accutrigger. is that a good gun. is 270 a good caliber. please let me know. thanx

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you dont know whether or not its a good gun. And you dont know whether or not its a good caliber, then why the hell did you buy the rifle?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx man!!!!

it was the only gun wal mart had and i could afford it and i needed ahunting rifle at the time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spade......

my uncle told me that 270 was a good flat shooting gun so i baught it and thats the only one that they had. i just wanted to know what some real gun fanatics thaught about it. thats why.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The .270 is a great caliber. Now all you have to do is load some ammo. Try IMR-4831 and some Sierra 130 grainers and get ready to live happily ever after.

You didn't say what scope you had. But if you are short of money, save up for a 4X fixed power Leupold. This scope is available for around $200.

Don't forget that the father of the .270, Mr. Jack O'Connor used fixed power 4 power scopes.

You did well.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, its a good caliber. I just cant believe someone baught a rifle that they didnt know anything about. If your going to do that then ive got a car i'll sell you sight unseen.

lol, nevermind that theres not an engine in it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes its a good rifle for the money and yes its a good caliber. What do you plan on hunting this with if i may ask?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey!!!

any animal that crosses the crosshairesbut i baught it 4 hunting whitetail deer. and wild hogs. but ill shoot anything. ha ha

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 270 is a great gun for a lot of different hunting, but why do you want to kill everything that crosses your path ?
One shot one kill. yeah yeah everyones heard that . Just dont forget
If you kill it grill it...and use lots of bbq sauce
Im not griping you out, just trying to get you to think before you shoot
something for no reason.
Oh and Savage makes a real good gun very accurate ive got a couple of them and use them regulary .30 moa or better at 100yds.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: hey!!!

tricky86 said:
any animal that crosses the crosshairesbut i baught it 4 hunting whitetail deer.
B-O-U-G-H-T. No criticism intended.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
108 Posts
Were just razzing you a little :twisted: ...Welcome aboard
If you ready to learn than this is definatly the place. :D

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My Sniper was a 270 Win Rem700 in its previous incarnation. I was a very good shooter then too. The 270 is a 30.06 necked down, and was the first production caliber(if I am not mistaken, Mad can correct me on this if I am) big game cartridge to break the 3000fps mark. Take a look around at some of the ballistics info, it shoots flatter,and hits harder than a 308. If it was not for LE sniping being so set on 308, I would have stuck with 270. The 130 is good for most game and 150 is good on things up to elk. Good luck and welcome aboard. PS I used the Rem Corlockt loads, and got MOA accuracy with factory ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
270 is a great deer round. I dunno about bigger game cause I never used it for such, but I know lots of hunters have told me just what Mlammers has said. Core-lokt 150 grain and hit the shoulder if you can, maybe. Up to you though, if you would rather put it straight through the boiler room thats cool too.

Next time you want to buy a gun you can afford, before you do just take a quick look on the net to see what people think. For example, search "270 forum" or "Savage rifle message board" and see what people say about it. Also, all the ammo makers websites will tell you what loads are available, how they shoot, and what kinda game they are meant for taking. I'm only repeating people here, but its very risky, what you did. Be happy this time you wound up with a great gun in a useful caliber.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You ought to try 130s or 110s, or even 90s if you handload on groundhogs, or prairie dogs. I know the 110 and 130 almost made them explode at 100yds. A guy I know has taken multiple elk with a 270 using the 150 Corelokt. He shot them all though the shoulder or lungs, and said they were quick clean kills. Lucky guy his 270 is a very customized Mauser K98.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx stump.

im glad to be aboard. i love learning. and i know newcomers always get the wrath of the vets(no pun intented). i really dont kill everything. just deer and hogs. i give half of the hogs i shoot to the churchs to the needy and i eat every part of the deer in steaks or deer jerky. and i could give all you guys a kick ass deer jerky recipe. its my homeade recipe.just let me know. im glad ive already learned so much from you guys. thanx. and hey if i can help. with anything just let me know.

semper fi.

·
Registered
492 Posts
spade, you crack me up man. I didn't even have to lok at who posted that one. I knew it was you as soon as I read it!!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Lets have that recipe dude, I'll try it!

Ah, Kar98k in 270 Win....thats classy!

Hmm...something new for me to ponder. Now...that with a nice sporter barrel and Weatherby style stock, 3-9 Vari-x III...270 or 25-06?

Like I can afford to build two mausers at once lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heres the recipe

for one backstrap of meet. for how much ever meet that is in pounds that is double recipe for double the meet.(duh) just thaught id say it. ok 2 cups worscheshire 2 cups soy sauce 2 cups liquid smoke and 1 cup claudes fajita maranade. in tsps 2 garlic powder,2garlic salt,2 accent,2 lowrys season salt,2lemon pepper,2 onion powder,2 salt and pepper,2ragin cajun,2 serendipity, i know thats alot of stuff but trust me its worth it. marinade for 2 hrs frequently squeezing the meet so itl absorb the liquid. dehydrate for 9 or 10 hrs and wala.
glad i could help.

larry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
let me know!!!

try the recipe and let me know if ya like it. its my famous mixture. this site is pretty awesome you guys know your stuff. i enjoy b.s ing with yall. glad to be around.im not rich so i cant afford the best yet so is tasco a good scope to start out with? or simmons?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Know what I might just use that 270 barrel I have to make one, I can rethread and make it fit either the Mauser or the 03. Plus it only has about 100rds down the tube. Dang it Muzzleblast now you gave me another Idea my wife will hate you for this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts