Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that was my score i just got my results back...please let me know as i know nothing of this

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
means you qualify for MOST jobs in the military
it goes by percentile so you did better than 83% of people who took it

·
Registered
994 Posts
Can you take practice tests of the ASVAB, similar to the SATs, LSATs, MCATs, GSEs, etc.?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
dont know i only took it once
nothing to practice for
its either you know it or you dont
i think its best to take it right after HS or junior year in HS cause thats when you learn all that crap thats on there in the first place

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yes you can, and scatch youll be fine if your actually worried about it.
My dumb ass got a score in the mid 90's and i took it in highschool.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
83 isnt bad, but just remember asvab scores arent really that important in the grand sceem of things.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The practice asvab isnt as hard as the real asvab... i took the practice asvab in high school when i was enlisted in USMCJROTC and i scored 96. I took the real asvab a year later and i scored 89. What really matters are your GT score, things like that. That is what really lets you get into the good jobs. On a "rule of thumb"... getting over a 60 is good as far as job picking goes. Your GT should be 100-110 or more if you want to get a good job.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
As BC said, the GT is the important one. In fact, for the US Army, you need a GT score of 110 or better in order to go to sniper school.

For the overall score, you only need a 45 to get into the infantry.... which I think is the lowest of all jobs. Funny thing was that I met a guy at in-processing (for basic training) that had to take it 3 times to get a 45.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
we use an aptitude test very similar to ASVAB here and I know someone who rated too low for infantry as well...Bright guy. I think they just gave him the test at a bad time though, the only job he rated was "Officer's Steward"...Thanks but no thanks! lol.

They gave him a year to better himself and he's armoured now.

·
Registered
994 Posts
mele said:
As BC said, the GT is the important one. In fact, for the US Army, you need a GT score of 110 or better in order to go to sniper school.
What's GT?

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Believe it stands for "General Technical" or something along those lines. Kind of common knowledge techinical questions.

MEL

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the test score page is in my locker at school, i'll look at it tomorw to find out my GT and other things on it...thanks for the information the guy didnt explain them very well, o and i am a junior in high school

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
GT stands for General Technical... basically it asks you complex and simple questions at random and calculates how long it took you to answer each stage. ie... how fast you work out a problem and make a difficult choice.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I took then back in high school. Does anyone know where I could request a copy of the scores I got?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
if there high every recuriter will be on your ass shortly
when i took it every recuriter was on my ass telling me i qualified for every job in the military
i got called by the air force, navy, marines, army, coast guard and national guard
they all sent me an email and mailed me stuff too
the air force guy was the first
he pulled up my test score and showed me i aced it

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
There mustn't be a section on linguistics or literacy, aye? :shock:

I kid, I kid--congratulations again man.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
that was when i was 16...
If you were only sixteen, I imagine they must have thought they were administering the test to a Soviet defector, as I am assuming your literacy has only improved since!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i passed obviously there was no section on literacy ;)

well you need to read the questions and answer so you would have to be atleast semi-literate
i was never in danger of running out of time though

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
if there high every recuriter will be on your ass shortly
when i took it every recuriter was on my ass telling me i qualified for every job in the military
i got called by the air force, navy, marines, army, coast guard and national guard
they all sent me an email and mailed me stuff too
the air force guy was the first
Yeah I had that happen, except, I was really only interested in the Army or Marines....Too bad I dont remember my scores.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts