Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I don't know about the federal, but the Hornady Light Magnum 30-06 is. It is also very accurate ammo. The kicker with any ammo is if your rifle likes it. My tikka will shoot moa wit almost any ammo, but the Hornady Light Magnum with 165 SST it shoots 1/2 moa.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Relativly close, but no cigar.

Federal High Energy
.300 Win Mag - 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
Muzzle Velocity : 3,100 FPS
Energy in Foot Pounds : 3,841
Drop @ 500 yds : 40.5"

Federal High Energy
30-06 - 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
Muzzle Velocity : 2880 FPS
Energy in Foot Pounds : 3315
Drop @ 500 yds : 48.2"

The difference is about 220 FPS at the muzzle.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
That's comparing it to another high energy load though...Let's compare it to a normal 300 WM load

High Energy 30-06

Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded bear claw 30-06 High Energy

Muzzle Velocity:2880
Muzzle Energy: 3316

Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded bear claw 300 Win Mag

Muzzle Velocity:2960
Muzzle Energy:3503

Still not quite there but close! 80 FPS and not quite 200 ft lbs difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since the 30-06 is a 99 year old caliber, be careful what rifle you put that High Energy ammo into! Same thing as putting .45 +P ammo into an old WW1 / WW2 1911.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yup, definately...Let modern bolt actions be the ones to bear the high energy rounds. Keep that stuff out of semi autos, and away from Springfield rifles. Aside from being elderly they lack some safety features of the M98.

If anyone even thinks of using it in a Garand, Mad will know because Mad knows all and he will confiscate the rifle :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ekaphoto said:
I don't know about the federal, but the Hornady Light Magnum 30-06 is. It is also very accurate ammo. The kicker with any ammo is if your rifle likes it. My tikka will shoot moa wit almost any ammo, but the Hornady Light Magnum with 165 SST it shoots 1/2 moa.
Thanks. I will order it. Where do you buy it? If from internet can you give me link please?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
car5car said:
Thanks. I will order it. Where do you buy it? If from internet can you give me link please?
You can order it from Cabela's, but you might want to look around and find somewhere cheaper.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
car5car said:
ekaphoto said:
Look around, cheaper then dirt probably has it, ammo man etc. Try one or two boxes, my Tikka likes the 165 sst, that doen NOT mean your rifle will like it. It's not that the ammo is bad, its that certin powder/bullet combos work better in a perticular firearm, even two of the same brand and model may like two compleatly diffrent types of ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts