Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the lenses in scopes actually glass? Or someother material? Someone brought this to my attention, and I didn't know...........so I figured I would ask the experts!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, just checking, some kid was trying to tell me it was like 8,000 other materials...........I wasn't sure, so I figured asking was the best course of action. Thanks mel.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its some Air FOrce kid so who knows what he meant....................

:lol: J/k

But I dont know, he mentioned all kinds of crazy names and such, and since I wasn't sure beyond a reasonable doubt......I thought I would check, now I know ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
You probably could make it out of saphire for extra ruggedness and to make it scratch proof - but, scratches and such would still make a mess of the lense coating after such rough treatment...back to square one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Was he talking about the lenses, or the different coatings they put on the lenses?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was reffering to lenses, he doesn't know they are coated.

In the same converation I had to explain how grains related to bullets..................... :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
APK-223 said:
In the same converation I had to explain how grains related to bullets............
We were all there at some point.......

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know, I'm polite about it. I just laugh because when we were at school and talking about guns in person, he always tried telling me how much he knew, and bragging and that kind of stuff. He once tried telling me the M4 and M16 were two completely different guns..............

·
Registered
492 Posts
swarvoski uses crystal if I am correct.... Wait I am always right... No I am always drunk and right half the time. Anyways they use crystal. :shock:

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Noooooo, don't believe these people. It is actually a top secret substance developed by NASA for the space program. It so secret that if I told you I would have to kill you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ekaphoto said:
Noooooo, don't believe these people. It is actually a top secret substance developed by NASA for the space program. It so secret that if I told you I would have to kill you.
Yea, I heard that too. Crossed it with flubber, didn't they? :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Flubber and WD-40! :D

And i might add, WD-40 actually was developed by NASA to stop rusting on the internals of space craft. :wink: I had some one try to tell me the frame on a GLOCK was made of the same stuff the tiles on the space shuttle are made of! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway back to lens. Yes it is glass, very very good glass!

The Rifleman

·
Registered
94 Posts
WD-40

Funny you mentioned WD-40, watched the History channel last night, as I often do and -Behold this tiny, ity bitty company that I don't remember the name of, made WD-40 and five years later started selling it to NASA and apparently still do. Rather good stuff, for almost anything, the formula is Top Secret though -Aside several different petrollum products that are known!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts