Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

421 - 434 of 434 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Dave! German Salazar had a three part article on the .30-06 cartridge. I tried recently to go to the website again to re-read them. However, when I goto the website now it says that I do not have access to the site. Access restricted or something. Can you still access the articles?
I just read that they were taken down permanently. Unfortunate because there was some really great info on there. I wish I had printed them out.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I just read that they were taken down permanently. Unfortunate because there was some really great info on there. I wish I had printed them out.
I'll check and see if my brother has em. I know he's read a bunch of his stuff.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am loving mine! I have only put about 60 rounds through it so far. My shooting with that rifle is on hold for a little while. I took the cheapy nikon off in hopes that my razor hd would be arriving quick but that was 3 weeks ago and my rifle is just chilling in the safe. When i get the scope on and a load dialed in i will post some pics for yall.

·
Registered
55 Posts
so i made it out to the range today. not the best shooting in the world. i was fighting way to hard to get on target. i dont know why i didnt think to remove some of the lop spacers while i was there as it made it feel a lot better when i did that at home. anyways i got up to 56.7 grains of h4350. if i ignore my fliers so far 55.8 and 56.1 look okay. along with 54.9 and 55.2. im gonna keep working up until i see some pressure signs. velocity started at 2726 and got up to 2886. sorry for the bad picture quality. im no photographer.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well almost 3 years later and i'm back to working up a .30-06 load. Been a little distracted but i'm attending a long range clinic in Sacramento in a few weeks so i'm back at it. Tested out a few loads today, 175 gn TMKs, Lapua brass, H4350, seated .015 off the lands. Started at 57.8 grains and stopped at 59.3. Best groups were at 59 and 59.3, both were under 1/2 inch when you account for me pulling a shot or two. Started to get some slight ejector marks at 59.3 but nothing too crazy. I think I need a new chrono though because muzzle velocity was reading up to 3050 fps. Not sure if that's even possible with a 175 gn bullet. Going to load some more in the 59-59.3 range and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well almost 3 years later and i'm back to working up a .30-06 load. Been a little distracted but i'm attending a long range clinic in Sacramento in a few weeks so i'm back at it. Tested out a few loads today, 175 gn TMKs, Lapua brass, H4350, seated .015 off the lands. Started at 57.8 grains and stopped at 59.3. Best groups were at 59 and 59.3, both were under 1/2 inch when you account for me pulling a shot or two. Started to get some slight ejector marks at 59.3 but nothing too crazy. I think I need a new chrono though because muzzle velocity was reading up to 3050 fps. Not sure if that's even possible with a 175 gn bullet. Going to load some more in the 59-59.3 range and see how it goes from there.
Running that load through my QuickLoad app, that velocity looks about right (though I don't have all the details about that cartridge) and assuming a barrel length of 26". And looking at the calculated chamber pressure, the 59.3 gr of H4350 , is really high at around 68,500 psi. So . . . just FYI

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just thought it was weird because i shot 178 amaxs with 59 gn of h4350 and was getting about 2900 so i wasnt expecting anywhere near 3000. Thanks for the heads up on the pressure though, i wont be going up in powder anymore. Seems like 59 grains was good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Attended a LR clinic in Sacramento this weekend. My first time out past 100 yards. The 30-06 did well out to 1000. Wasnt sure how accurate my muzzle velocity was before, but it is indeed 3024 fps with a 175 gn tmk bullet. Pressure signs were slightly more noticeable so i'll be backing it down to find a lower node. Im very happy with this rifle so far, just need more experience behind it. Very excited to get a first round hit at 1000 though.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
For the sake of a little pot stirring... compare the 30.06 to a 284win or 280AI. When comparing a 06 to a 308, it's easy to get lost in the fact its short action vs long. When you compare a 06 to its peers, it gets left in the dust by a wide margin.
I bagged a 400 lb bull elk last year in AZ with my Rem 700 .30-06 from about 500 yds. Left in the dust? The only thing that left dust was the cow that was with it when this one fell after taking two steps.

421 - 434 of 434 Posts