Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my baby, just about to ship back to me from Patriot Arms, Inc. I sent it for a new barrel, and Jered found that the stock was cracked just in front of the recoli lug - not a cheap fix. I went for my old stand-by M40A1 (flashing back to the USMC days). Hard to call it a PSS anymore, but that's technically what she is (the action and bolt are the same).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It ships to me tomorrow, so I have yet to shoot it. Jered said that it shots "good now, but should tighten up a bit more when its fully broken in." (still showing signs of copper after about 6 or 7 shots, so there is some break-in that still needs to be done). His average 5 shot group, using hunting ammo, was right at .350. The smallest was a little over .200+ and the largest slightly over .500. The barrel is a 24" Broughton, 12 twist, 5R.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jeff,

Was the A4 that you told me about previously the one that cracked? :( This one looks very good with your swarovski on it. I finally got my scope back from Leupold and I have to say that I am very happy with my decision. I remounted it and sighted it and noticed that now it only took about 7 or 8 minutes to be dead on. Do you think that this is still excessive or a problem deeming a smith trip? I know now that its not the scope as Leupold did a full inspection on it.

As far as elevation, the mechanical elevation was already right. :D I do think that the windage problem may be with my receiver holes being misaligned. Who here in town would you recommend that could actually look at and fix this? Its not bad but I checked my base just like we spoke of at ASC and it was okay but when I mounted it; it showed a miniscule slant to the right which adds a miniscule windage problem to the left :evil:. Like I mentioned before it only took 7- 8 minutes to overcome this but I'm still concerned due to my desire to be capable of practicle adjustments. Within my equipments' limitations of course.

Bottom line is I want to have it proffesionally checked because it is not as easy to check my holes for perfect alignment.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The A-4 wasnot the one that cracked. The HS Prrecision PSS stock was teh one that cracked. The A-4 is on my Custom 6.5x284 (Ih have a picture of it somewhere and will try to get it up on the Gallery) The A-4 was the one that UPS dropped on the muzzle 5 or 6 times and I had to send it back tot he builder for a thourough evaluation and repair. :cry:

Whe it gets back, I'll for sure haveit at ASC for break-in and load testing.

As to the scope base alignment - it is critical that it be properly aligned (or that you have a way to compensate for that misalignment) If you cannot compensate for the misalignement, you'll never get to shoot at any kind of distance because you'll run out of windage adjustments VERY QUICKLY (remember one of our first discussions when my A-Gunner who ran out of windage at 200 yards).

At this point your options are limited. Sometimes you can have someone drill and tap new holes in the action and base for 8/40s (bigger than standard). In drilling the new holes, they overcome the off line earlier holes. If its beyond that tolereance, you might be able to go with a picatinny rail and windage adjustable rings (US Optics makes them), other than that you are probably going to have to send it back to the manufacturer for redrilling.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was afraid you were going to say that. :cry: Well, I overcame it with about 7.5 minutes and I still have quite a bit more. I don't know which option, like I have many, to take. I will test it out before I decide. Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Jeff,

Your going to have let me know when your going back to ASC with new rifle. I should have my baby cannon back together tonight. I had a real good conversation with you know who and refused to take it back to them. I will just locktite that brake on. They told me it was ok that it would come off but I just dont like the idea of it. Either way they will not see me back in there for anything else.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rifle shipped today, but ASC is closed until the 6th anyway. I'll be there the first open Saturday, and possibly sooner (gotta balance the work schedule to free some range time).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to the range with the Patriot Arms .308. I had a great group going, while getting my scope adjusted, then on the 7th shot committed serious shooter error and doubled the group size.

The greeningh target dot is .75 inches across.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Despite the seventh shot, it looks really good. What made you go with Patriot Arms? If you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had heard some really good things about the accuracy of thier rifles for about a year. Then an article came out in Special Weapons featuring one of their rifles. The featured rifle had an 18 inch barrel and asupressor, but shot groups of .17 from 100 yards and was capable of hitting a target 100% of the time from 1,000 meters - yep meters.

I was impressed, and called and talked to the owner to ask about his rifle work, cost, etc. I was sold. His rifles flat shoot.

I know Mel has been in touch with Jered to discuss the details of a Patriot Arms Demo, which is in the works, but timing can be tough. Jered seems to sell everything he sends out for a demo.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
follow up to the earlier shooting at 100 yards, I've been tweeking the load for my Patriot using QuickLoad and a barrel timing theory that I stumbled into on the Sniper's Hide Forum.

Anyway, this is a picture of a 7 shot group that I shot from 300 yards two days ago (including the called flyer to the right). The conditons were fairly tough 10-16 mph winds switching from 6 to 7 O'Clock, temperature was 90 degress in the shade, humidity was 65% at the time of the shots.

Now I just need to get back to the 600 yardline and see if they stay as tight as I want.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jeff,

Those are some very nice groups :D . After seeing your results and reading some articles on Patriot arms I have to say that my interest has indeed grown. I will try to talk to Jered at Patriot Arms and perhaps have him rebarrel and re-stock my 700. I was considering others but after researching and hearing testimonials such as yours, I might be leaning towards Patriot. Keep posting those targets for us!

·
Registered
448 Posts
looks like I better hurry up and get going on those QL loads for my RUM. I should have enough brass by now and bullets. Those groups are alot better than the already real good ones you showed me last weekend.

Thanks again for all the continued help your giving me Jeff.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SpEcTeR - call him direct. 706-367-8881. Jered is a good guy and will talk your ear off while he works on someone's rifle (technology and headsets).

His prices are reasonable for the amount of work entailed - meaning not the cheapest in the world - but I think the quality speaks for itself. Plus, he will shoot your rifle and not let it leave his shop until it works to his satisfaction.

I sent Jered an email and told him to expect a call from you - remember to tell I sent you - then give him a ton of **** because I said that his rifles don't shoot worth a darn!!!

Bobby

I told this last set of groups was worth looking at, especailly given the type of day we were having. This was the load 0.2 grains above the QL suggested load. Then I was run off before I could shoot the suggested load or 0.2 grains below the suggeested load. That will be sunday if they let us back on the range then.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'll be picking up a pound of h1000 probably tomorrow while I'm at the range shooting the rest of those loads and trying that gizmo. See you there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to give him a call as soon as things settle down. :lol: I'll talk up a storm of doubt for ya :lol:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Humbled today on the range with my own rifle

So I go to the range feeling all good then I let BadShot (which is clearly B.S.) have a go witht he Patriot ARms M40A1 clone. he takes three shots at a target located 410 yards away. We walk down to view his handiwork and there they sit 3 shots close enough to cover with a dime - yep a stinking DIME. That would be my hand in both pictures and his dime.
Like I said Patriot Arms rifles can shoot.

The bad news about today's visit to the range is that I was testing some of my moderate speed match handloads and had a case separate just above the webbing (as in completly split into two pieces - one of which is still in the rifle). I'm still trying to think how to get the top part of the case out of my rifle without doing any damage to a sweet shooting .308.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Fark, that's one tight group :shock:

Well, I guess you don't have to send the rifle back for any more work, at least :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts