Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some problems with the air dry cerakote, so I am going to send it out and have a company put the oven dry stuff on. But my question is does jeweling the bolt make is smoother or not?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MitchAlsup said:
In a tactical sense, it makes you a lot more visible.
Yea, I had that already in my head. I think once I stop having issues with my cerakote it will be much better. I just thought the jeweling was very cool. I am having it sent out to Hoosier Gun Coat for it to be done. Unless somebody else has another idea or place. I want the thing sand blasted and refinished for about $200. And this place can do it for less. Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
What trouble did you have with the Cerakote?

If you aren't pleased with the Cerakote I'd have it black nitride treated. The treatment itself is $150 for a rifle and that includes the barreled action, bolt, firing pin and any other steel parts that aren't a spring. The inside and outside of the barrel are treated and it can more than double barrel life. It will render the firearm impervious to corrosion and it's hard as a diamond (well, almost). The rifle does need to be disasembled and blasted prior to treatment. If you'd like for $200 you can send it to me (barreled action only) and I'll stip it, blast it and send it out for treatment then reassemble and ship it back to you.

It's also self lubricating so your bolt will be a little smoother. If you don't have it treated don't jewel the bolt. I've not heard that it aids in making the bolt smoother.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not sure about the bolt jeweling but I have thought about spraying a coat of Brownell's "Teflon Moly" on my bolt.
What kind of a rifle is it? I have a 700 Tact. and the rough finish they put on that rifle sucks. Everything is coated in that stuff including the bolt. If you have any rounds in the mag. the bolt acts like sandpaper every-time you cycle it. After just a short amount of time the entire bottom of the bolt is yellow with brass dust. I used 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and removed the coating from the bolt body for now but I was thinking that the Teflon Moly coating would be a quick coating to put on it and it is supposed to be self lubricating and I can spray and bake it at home.
If you decide to try this just make sure to be careful with the sanding and stay away from the bolt lugs. If you disassemble the bolt you can insert a wooden dowel into the center to hold the bolt for easier sanding. You can also have it media blasted if you wanted.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
More on bolt jeweling. Bolt Jeweling is inaccurate, asymetrical, non-concentric and introduces additional slop into the bolt. It's cosmetic, it's not to enhance accuracy and while it may hold lubrication I'd rather parkerize the bolt and infuse it with oil, use moly lube and work it in or have the bolt black nitride treated and then not think about it any more.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oneeyedmac said:
More on bolt jeweling. Bolt Jeweling is inaccurate, asymetrical, non-concentric and introduces additional slop into the bolt. It's cosmetic, it's not to enhance accuracy and while it may hold lubrication I'd rather parkerize the bolt and infuse it with oil, use moly lube and work it in or have the bolt black nitride treated and then not think about it any more.
And just an FYI, I am having OEM Black Nitride my rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What trouble did you have with the Cerakote?

If you aren't pleased with the Cerakote I'd have it black nitride treated. The treatment itself is $150 for a rifle and that includes the barreled action, bolt, firing pin and any other steel parts that aren't a spring. The inside and outside of the barrel are treated and it can more than double barrel life. It will render the firearm impervious to corrosion and it's hard as a diamond (well, almost). The rifle does need to be disasembled and blasted prior to treatment. If you'd like for $200 you can send it to me (barreled action only) and I'll stip it, blast it and send it out for treatment then reassemble and ship it back to you.

It's also self lubricating so your bolt will be a little smoother. If you don't have it treated don't jewel the bolt. I've not heard that it aids in making the bolt smoother.
Do you still do this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts