Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Does the trajectory change that much with a hot barrel?
Simple answer: YES, it can.

Just how hot until that happens depends on the barrel configuration> And the caliber being fired is a factor and how hot atmospheric conditions can get you to that point quickly and take quite some time to cool down.

I have a sporter barrel on my .308 and I stop shooting when the barrel reaches 122°F. And since I'm here in Arizona, on hot days (90° and up) I put barrel fan in the chamber to help cool it down a quickly as possible. If my barrel gets over that 122° my groups begin to open up noticeably. I also tend to try and keep the barrel somewhat cool in order to keep wear and tear down on the throat/lands.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Soon enough, you’ll start reloading you’re own match ammo!

Lol. I’m looking for someone to trade. Every 3 brass pieces, I get one round back reloaded. I think that’s fair.

So yeah, like you said, I see one go off, and I’m fixing my scope. Mag-dumping a bolt action rifle cause I get frustrated. Before you know it, no more ammo, and I leave shooting worse than when I got there.

I’m trying my best to do it right but I do lurk around experienced shooters and ask them. It’s mostly military and ex military guys at my range. Problem is, I ask 3 guys I get 3 different opinions. I guess it’s best to just slowdown. Maybe shoot an AR with iron sights at 50 yards in between every ten Win Mag shots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Soon enough, you’ll start reloading you’re own match ammo!

Lol. I’m looking for someone to trade. Every 3 brass pieces, I get one round back reloaded. I think that’s fair.

So yeah, like you said, I see one go off, and I’m fixing my scope. Mag-dumping a bolt action rifle cause I get frustrated. Before you know it, no more ammo, and I leave shooting worse than when I got there.

I’m trying my best to do it right but I do lurk around experienced shooters and ask them. It’s mostly military and ex military guys at my range. Problem is, I ask 3 guys I get 3 different opinions. I guess it’s best to just slowdown. Maybe shoot an AR with iron sights at 50 yards in between every ten Win Mag shots.
The parachute law applies: only trust your own reloads! Also, the point of reloading your own match ammo is to tailor it to your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nothing matters so much as trigger time. It's a whole lot cheaper and easier to work on mechanics with rimfire's and small caliber centerfires.
I think nothing of putting 250 rounds of 22lr down range,150 rds of 17WSM or 50 to 100 rds of 223 Rem in single session, multiple times per week. I definitely won't do that with any larger caliber centerfires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many good suggestions posted above. As was said earlier it is difficult to diagnose without more information. Would one of the range officers shoot your rifle for you to help eliminate the possibility of there being an inherent problem with your equipment. Not sure of your range rules.
Use only one type of cartridge, keep variables out if you can.
Are you loading the bi-pod a bit so all is not free floating which would cause a lack of recoil consistency.
Pull trigger through recoil, release after recoil finished.
There is an old saying, aim small miss small. If you aim at a button small tight groups. If you aim at the trunk there is a good chance you will miss big. I put a V with a horizontal line under the point to make a small point to shoot at 440 yards. It helps me to aim small.
When a good rifle shooter is finished shooting ask him if you could buy him a cup of coffee and chat for a bit. Let the shooter know you are not greatly experienced, don't be pushy or to self deprecating. Watch how he shoots from a distance, behind and slightly beside the shooter, no crowding.
Practice, practice, practice. Get some caps and practice at home to help prevent anticipation of recoil. Have a friend or co-shooter fill your magazine for you, with or without snap caps.

Remember to have fun, be safe, and be patient.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So today I used a sandbag instead of a bipod and my groupings were much better. Maybe bipod require a lot of experience? But those Caldwell bags were helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts