Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little background - Basically I want to start getting into distance target shooting. As of right now I only want to spend $400ish on the rifle alone (yea i'm a poor college student). Looking to hit the 1000 yd mark.

Now I've read that a remington 700 is a good start, but I don't have the money for something like the 700P. Will I notice a considerable difference in accuracy between the cheaper rem 700 and the more expensive ones? What caliber would be the best, I was thinking .300 win mag - but do they make them in .338 mag? Also if I got a rem 700 I plan on buying the AICS down the road (sorry im a sucker for the look) so if you guys know of any particular specifics on what rem 700s will/will not fit or if they all do please let me know.

I also saw at walmart this or something very similar as it had the same style stock in .243 wssm. Now the only thing that caught my eye with that was that it came with a scope and the price was only $379. I wasn't exactly sure on the WSSM and how that performs so maybe you guys can help with that.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hello "YEP" and welcome to the Sniper Central forums!

To be blunt and honest... if you want to shoot out to 1,000 yards you not only are going to need a minimum of $2,000 on the rifle and scope... but ALOT of practice. My style in rifles is kinda expensive... so i dont know much about the cheaper options out there. There are many other people on this forum however... wich is a good thing. And im sure there are many other people who know more about the cheaper in price rifles out there. Somthing i know for a fact you will need for long range shooting is good optics... wich if you want to shoot out to 1,000 yards or further optics will run you a minimum of around $750 and up... talk to Mel about optics and rifle pricing... he sells many things.

Check this out as well... if you become a Member of Sniper Central for $10... you not only get ALOT of information on sniping in the members area... (all of the little "how to's" and secrets of the trade) but you get some of the best deals i have seen on the net. Here are the deals a Sniper Central member gets from Mel http://www.snipercentral.com/memberpricing.htm

Savage rifles are known for there out of the box accuracy... and they will run you around $500. That is about as cheap as you can go.

As far as Caliber goes... i dont think you want a .300 Win Mag or a .338 Lapua Mag... .300 Win Mag kicks quite a bit and is not a good learning caliber. .338 Lapua also kicks quite a bit and is not a good learning caliber... and the ammunition is quite pricy for these calibers as well. .338 Lapua ammo is around $75 for one box of 20 rounds. $75 = 20 Shots = $3.75 a shot. The .308 Win caliber is around 50 cents to $1.50 a shot depending on what ammo you get and it is a good learning caliber for long range shooting. The .308 is by no means a small caliber... it is fully capable of shots out to 1,000 yards... and has been used by US Military Snipers out to 1,200 yards to take out the enemy.

BC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the Boards!

To the point: I understand how money has a major effect on your rifle selction, I know this because Im also a college student. So basically let me just start by sayin' you might want to hold off shooting at 1000yd for now unless (and BC is right) you plan to save for quite a while and then put down a good $1500. Basically I would recommend a Savage, maybe something like a .308 (possibly .223) due to the fact that its good training round and it doesn't have a lot of kick. Also with the Savage you have the free floated barrel and accu-trigger. If you save up to around $400-$500 you could pick up a Savage 10FP and then maybe save up another $70 and pick up an ok scope. You really don't need a fancy scope at first, not until your get really serious and spend a quite few hours at the range. Also if you pick up a rifle that uses WSM round, the rifle maybe a good deal, but the ammo is still a bit pricey.

You can go ahead look at my rifle in the Gallery. Its listed as Econo tactical rifle. Its a Savage 10FP. It took me about a 8 months of saving but I bought it and set it up for under $830. However you can look around gunbroker.com and find a used 10FP (or whatever catches your fancy) and then look around for a decent scope, plus skip on some of the fancier stuff (bi-pod, flip up scope caps, etc...) you can have a good rifle for under $700 easy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes i agree 100% with what talking_target has said..

You really should get alot of practice in though... i spend at least 1 hour a day at the range (usually more)... now i realise 99% of the people cant do that and that is understandable. Im lucky... im in the military and can do this sort of thing. I think a .308 would be a better choice... the match ammo for .223 is just as much as .308 and the .308's barrel is easier to clean than the .223's.

Somthing to keep in mind... most of us dont practice all the time with match grade ammo. I myself like to practice with solf point ammo if match grade stuff is not available. Allthough since i am in the military... match grade ammo is always available when im practicing on base with my unit...

BC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Other possibilites:

Another option (also a very cheap option) is maybe a surplus mauser then mount a scope base. With the mauser you can keep it under $200 for everything and maybe later down the line (when you gain more experience) you can take the mauser and strip it down to its action and build a custom rifle. I admit the 8mm mauser isn't the best round either, but its cheap to shoot. Just remember this is just a very cheap option. On the same note with other surplus rifles, an Enfield will work also.

Or possbily hold off on really long range shooting and put more time in fundamentals. Maybe buy a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin bolt action .22 then mount a scope on them. Either way you can practice the fundamentals of long range shooting at the 100yd line, cheaper than shooting a larger caliber rifle, and you can at least take out rabbits and other small game. Plus if you get the 10/22 with a 30rd clip, you can just do rapid fire into like a book (this was fun when I was 6 and its still fun now that Im 20).

If you still really want a Rem 700, but still keep it cheap check out the local pawn shops. And if you want to grab a real steal, go to your local police station or the court house and talk to some of the guys (specifically defense attorneys). Alot of felons own guns and when they get convicted they have to give them up and so either they themselves (court orders them to get rid of them fast or give'em up) or the court sells them for cheap. This is how I got my Rem 700 for $200.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Talking target brought up the mauser option so i'll expunge on that a bit.

Right now I'm having a rifle built, that if i hadnt chose .243 as a caliber It would have legitimately been a 1000 yard gun. Its all based off a 75 dollar yugoslovian mauser action. I baught an adams and bennet 23.6 inch 1:10 RH twist F54 contour barrel for 119 dollars (read thick ass barrel). My smith is charging me around 200 for gunsmithing and 100 for reblue. Add my stock and everything else and You've got a gun that will take you to the 800 yard line and beyond if you chamber it for 308, for around 600 bucks. Buy a Mueller 4-16x50mm Mildot scope for around 239, rings and bases will run you around 30.

Trust me bud, you dont want to compromise quality for price. If you'd like the name of my gunsmith or to talk about the mauser option some more. Feel free to PM me or Msg me on one of my Messengers.

OH... WELCOME TO THE BOARD. lol...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
spade said:
OH... WELCOME TO THE BOARD. lol...
What have you done with SPADE.... and who the $%#@ are you?!!! :shock:

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Welcome aboard yep.

Okay, first, you will not immediately be shooting at 1000 yards, you will need to work your way up to those kinds of ranges. So, with that in mind, you will have lots of shooting ahead, and even when you do get comfortable at 1000, chances are you will not always be shooting at that distance. Based on these facts, I highly recommend the .308. Great cartridge to learn on, and when you get the experience under your belt, it will get you to 1000.

So whats affordable and available in 308? You will need a heavy barrel. So for the price range you are looking for, take a look at the savage 10FP as has been mentioned. It is probably your best bet, and will be around the $500 mark for retail. It has a synthetic stock that will get you buy initially (its pretty poor and will eventually need to be replaced, but will work for now). Another option, is the howa varmint rifles. They also come in a cheap synthetic stock for a bit less money ($450). You can see them here:

http://www.legacysports.com/product/specs/howa_varmint.htm

These rifles may not be the best, but they will work for learning. The cheaper remingtons are nice rifles, but you will not find a heavy barrel version, which you need for the accuracy.

Optics, you can get away with a midrange scope for the learning process. Burris Fullfield II's are very good for the price point, but you will not have enough adjustments in the scope to get you past 800 yards. Again, that can come later, the key is to get you shooting now to work your way up.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I thought E-Bay banned all firearm related things? I tried looking for those 80% recievers (AR-15) a few weeks ago and couldnt find any and then i asked a friend and he told me he thought he heard all firearm related things were banned... guess not though. :|

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Back in the good ol' days when ebay was young, they sold firearms on ebay... and they still would be if it wasn't because of pressure put on them by people who just don't like guns

MEL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info thus far. I should have mentioned that I am not expecting to hit 1000 right off the bat. The rifle will be built up during the summer when I can actually work and pay for the stuff :) I'll consider the member thing once I read up a bit on it.

Ammo prices don't really bother me too much, well maybe the Lapua rounds :) . I have a friend that him and his father are avid reloaders so the plans were to reload to up the accuracy and keep the cost lower.

So right now I just want a start. The reason I was thinking about the higher calibers is because about an hour from where I live there is a large problem with feral hogs, and these suckers are HUGE and very tough (that one is only a 355 pounder, there have been 400+ seen in the area). The neat thing is there are no real regulations on hunting them except during deer and turkey season, if you ask the conservation about them they go nuts and would love if everyone would - and this is a direct quote "slaughter the suckers."

Another thing you were talking about is its not a good rifle to start practicing on... That isn't really a problem as I have access to a mosin, a 1903a3, basic .223, 30-30, etc etc. that I can practice on all I want and have shot before.

Also if I were to get a cheap remington, am I able to buy a "heavy barrel" and add it on later?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Hogs are tough animals, I have hunted them. A .308 will do the job. The most important thing with hunting is a well placed shot. How much shooting experance do you have BTW. That will have some impace on equiptment choice as well. Also where are those hogs, I am intrested in taking one.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Where are these feral hogs located? I would like to go hog hunting... ive only been once but that was when i was 18 a while back.

BC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bell Mountain and Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri

When we were talking to the conservation a couple actually overheard us talking about hogs and told us about the 400 pounders that were known to charge at cars. Apparently one of their neighbors had about 300 hogs that supposedly broke the fence and got out but speculation is that they released them. So they've been roaming the area for a while and they the females offspring about 10 piglets a year.

We've heard stories of people going out for week and bagging 40-50 hogs. I figured whats more fun than "sniping" hogs :twisted: :twisted: . of course I wouldn't shoot at them from 1000 yds as the round will probably just bounce off them, but a few hundred would still be fun.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I bet my .50's would put em down fast from 1,000 yards. :)

Is this a kind of "walk into the woods and hunt" area? Do the local Police mind if this is done?

BC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its all on national forest land, so as long as your safe its no problem. We're heading out tomorrow for a few days, if we bag any we'll be sure to bring back pics :)

The cool thing is there is an element of danger because of their aggressiveness and nice nasty tusks they can get. Chances are we won't find a massive one but who knows 8) . If you do bag one, your supposed to collect a blood sample and send it off to be tested for disease. Fortunately cooking the meat thoroghly will kill off the disease so you can still bring home some bacon :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So to get a little back on track... Think I could get a rem 700 in .338 for around $400? And if I got one could it be upgraded rather easily down the road? (i really want that AICS :) )

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can get a .338 Win Mag (not a very good "sniper" caliber) in a Rem 700 but not a .338 Lapua (unless you want it to be a single shot... and even then it would have to be custom made) but i dont think it would be anywhere near $400.

BC

1 - 20 of 36 Posts