Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Just wonderful

23K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  SpEcTeR 
#1 ·
Just browsing the news and I found this picture, does anyone else see something wrong here? Not very confidence inspiring, must not have sighted it in either since he would have noticed his adjustments were backwards...............

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: !

FLEA said:
Hence why some things in service say "front....towards enemy".
M14 claymores for example :)

Also.. those little chinese anti personell mines... there about the size of a soft ball or so and are only made to take off a foot or hand... they are delivered by flying of the target area and shooting them out of tubes with compressed air... they activate themselves after impact with the ground... and here is the funny part... it actually says "this side up" in chinese on the top of the mine... :lol: Like the guys in the jets and helicopters launchen those things out by the hundreds if not thousands at a time over a field are going to be able to control where and how they land. :roll:

BC

#8 ·
Yeah, I don't know what would make everything else okay but just the scope backwards...lol, I just hope its some kind of trickery and that dude didn't really mount his scope backwards.

Just say no to booze and gunsmithing.

#9 ·
re

Maybe he's long sighted. :D

#10 ·
Doesn't look like he knows how to use his high speed tactical sling for quick use of his weapon either. Anyone have a clue how to effectivly use a weapon that is slung like that? I don't.

#11 ·
Ok... i downloaded the pic and zoomed in on it.. it appears to be an M-68 Aimpoint... and it is BACKWARDS!!! Aiming at him... instead of down the barrel. I also notice he has a Chalker style sling... or thats what it appears to be. I cant really see it to well... but no matter what kind of sling he is using he is holding that rifle like a kid in boot camp who came from the upper part of the gated off community. :lol:

BC

#12 ·
Poor guy is probably some beat cop who got put on "visual presence" duty for the Macy's parade.
I bet he just got that rifle handed to him and told where to stand.

I bet he spends his days at the local high school chasing skateboarders.

Leave the poor guy alone.

-Sympathetic Snowy

#15 ·
Or...

Maybe he's just THAT good. Ever think of that?

Or... he throws attackers off by looking one way but patrolling and engaging in the other direction.
Don't mess with NYPD, they've got some trick up their sleeves.

-snowy

#17 ·
Obviously, we're all laughing at him now.

I just doubt he had anything to do with condition of that rifle.
I'm sure that pic has been on every carbine, tactical, SWAT, and shooting web board out there.

I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts this poor guy's buddies print out copies of it and leave it on his locker.

I bet his nickname in the squad room is "deadeye" or something like that.

I'm just trying to stick up for the poor guy, doubt anyone else is.

If you want to drag someone through the mud, find out who the armorer for that squad and have him explain himself.

-snowy

#19 ·
If the guy is just a beat cop, in that case he probably didn't even know it was on backwards. I think in the vein of what snowy said, its some sort of trick....maybe for a krummer lauf bent barrel mp44 type system? lol.

If he did know it was on backwards...Man, cover it with your hand or something! at least when you see people taking your picture lol.

Glad to know I'm already more than capable of being an NY SWAT armourer. I wonder what else in that weapon that we can't see is assembled backwards

#20 ·
!

Well IMO that is clearly not a swat issued weapon.....not only am I defending the armourer for SWAT teams out there but there are other subtle things.

He is clearly abusing the three point sling method and will offer little (if any) weapon control.

90% of SWAT...HRT...SRT...weapons have weapon lights. Those that don't are ussually sniper rifles.

No one I know would sling a weapon they are not familiar with without checking the hardware to make sure it is working first.

Seems like a beat cop with a M4 was called up to create the appearance of more bodies on the scene. (prolly mounted his new scope to show off that morning)

#22 ·
I did some more looking through the archives, he is part of the NYPD ESU, which I know nothing about, but lets just assume that he is a beat cop who wants to look bad, theres no real reason to rag on him. Its just pretty dang amusing to the right group of people. I would like to find some one over there in Ny to send this picture to, just for the fun of it.

#23 ·
Also, with many people very afraid of terrorist attacks there is an outcry for the general public to feel safe.

People with slings, and optics and big muscles and kevlar fill that need.

People want to believe that there is a squad of responders out there with mil. spec. weaponry ready to jump into black pajamas and defend the U.S. Many departments are pressured to at least look the part for the public.

Judging by the size of the flag in the background something big was happening.
If he purchased his own weapon and mounted the optics himself or if the chief got a last moment order for an extra 50 cops on the street for a public event, he really can't be blamed.

As much as they may look the part, not all cops with Christmas ham arms are SWAT, HRT or SRT and not all cops have to be tactical weapons experts to do their jobs.
Cops are at risk everyday without kicking the doors of crack houses. Traffic cops get shot all the time.

Your average traffic stop can quickly become and extremely CQB.

Much respect to all of our LE officers in the U.S. and on SC.

-snowy

#24 ·
!

Snowy:

The teasing he is getting here is no different then what friends in his same department ...unit ...would give him. It's just teasing.

We all have bad days and make mistakes.....we just hope they are not captured on camera (frozen in time for ever).

All LEO's deserve repect for the job they do.

Hell....I would rather be the third man and on door kicking entry team then a meter maid. At least then you have plenty of armor.

#25 ·
Oh a good time had by all for sure.

There was a comment or two I thought may have been a little over the line.
Nothing much.

I guess I feel like it is so easy for a pic like that to be taken out of context.
I feel the need speak up.

I guess it is different for me. I'm generally the person "defending the gun nuts" in most arguments.

I work in a liberal town. So I'm used to being on the defensive.
Yesterday I got a money order from the bank addressed to "Sniper Central" and got recommended to "a good therapist." :x

Anyway, sorry if my tone was too serious.
I've had a few arguments regarding the police and society this week with some skateboarding stoners. I have some left over steam on the subject.

-snowy

#26 ·
snowy said:
Yesterday I got a money order from the bank addressed to "Sniper Central" and got recommended to "a good therapist." :x
I would have spoken to the teller's supervisor, the branch president, the district president, etc. 'til that person got at the minimum, a good chewing--in fact, I think you ought to make a call and complain.

I don't see much of a distinction between judging someone from their hobbies and their cultural practices--ignorance of the former is as bad as the latter.

Scatch Maroo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.