Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i am new to this forum and i have wanted to become a sniper all my life soo far.. i am 16 and i have 2 years left of high school but idk what types of things i am going to need to become a sniper could someone help me out and also what i will be exspecting..? thank u

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mel (the webmaster of this site) has listed the requirements before, they are:

Exact requirements for sniper school.
E-3 Promotable (generaly E-4 and above).
MOS 11B, 11M, 18 Series (No exceptions)
Qualify Expert with M16
Score 70 or better in each of the three PT events (They test you the first day as part of in processing)
Score at least a 110 on the GT portion of the asvaab
Vision correctible to 20/20
Not colorblind
Duty slotted in a sniper position
Pass psyche evaluation (this one isn't stricktly enforced all the time)
The MOS requirements are basically you need to be a current member of the infantry/rangers/etc. before you can apply for sniper school. Those requirements are for U.S. Army Sniper School. You could also try for Marine Scout/Sniper once enlisted in the USMC. I'm not, and don't plan to be a sniper, just a few things I've picked up since I've been a member.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I understand the importance ofa sniper/spotter not being color blind (to discern camoflauged body outlines), but it was my understanding that a very large majority of the male population suffers from some degree of color blindness: if this is true, do they allow for a limited extent of color blindness?

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sub is correct, they test for it MEPS. If you are colorblind, it goes in your file, and you CANNOT attend sniper school.

Other important things you can do now:
Learn how to work hard
Learn discipline
Learn to be a good soldier once in
And DO WELL IN SCHOOL, especially math and science. I had a degree in mathematics when I went through sniper school (no, I'm not an office in case you are wondering) the math was EXTREMELY helpful in sniper school....

MEL

·
Registered
67 Posts
They test for everything at MEPS...shudder.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can an officer or a West Point Cadet attend Sniper School (since West Point Cadets get two summer training sessions)?

·
Registered
64 Posts
You just gotta WANT it bad enough. I barely got out of high school and in three years of the Army I had been Infantry school, airborne, recondo (before division started sending troopers to ranger school), jungle school, 6 months in the Sinai (got my expert infantry badge), Grenada (didn't quite earn CIB, but got it), sniper school, jumpmaster school and made e5.

You gotta give a damn (but mele is right, math HELPS in sniper school!).

RM

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Toposniper, if you don't mind my asking, why do you sign your posts RM? Initials?

And you are right about wanting things badly enough.. everything about the military revolves around what you want where it comes to attaining things... especially physical tasks... a mate of mind my age just can't make it into the army because he cant pass the basic fitness run, of a mile and a half in 10:45... when any knobber can do that if they want to, it doesnt matter what state you in when you have attained what you want!

·
Registered
307 Posts
70's on the APFT are the following (Age 17-21);

Run 2 miles in 15:12
Do 49 pushups in 2 minutes
Do 59 situps in 2 minutes

The highest you will ever have to shoot to get 70s on the APFT is;

Run 2 miles in 15:12
Do 49 pushups in 2 minutes
Do 54 situps in 2 minutes

Pretty easy stuff.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
LOL thats more than easy stuff
unless they are talkin about 1 armed pushups... heh

if thats all you can do my guess is you would wash out of any physically intense school like sniper school or ranger school if ya didnt shape up quickly

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
WestPointRanger,

I hate to say it, but no, you will NOT be able to attend sniper school. No officers are allowed to attend besides the CO and XO of the sniper school. The way the army views it is that Officers are trained to lead, and thats pretty hard to do when you are in a ghillie suit with one other soldier out in the middle of no-where. So, enlisted only duty slotted snipers (occupying a sniper slot on the roster).

MEL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts